What do you measure FO in?

I use my pour pot, I fill it with the proper amount of wax, tare the weight on my scale, then add my FO to that. I started using the glass measuring cup that I got with my kit, but I felt like I was wasting some that was left on the glass. This way seems to work great for me.

Yep, me too. No waste and exact measurements by weight not volume. I am so much happier using this method. I use the flip tops on my FOs for added ease.

Yep, me too. No waste and exact measurements by weight not volume. I am so much happier using this method. I use the flip tops on my FOs for added ease.

I use the flip tops as well, but sometimes, I squirt too much FO into my FO measuring cup. Since I use one cup per scent, I just put back the excess. How do you do it if you weigh your FO into the pot that already has wax in it? Do you always weigh exact?

I'm relatively new to the board(as far as posting goes)but not to candles. Been making them since 1998.

I use a set of racked, glass test tubes that I got on eBay from one of those science supply sellers. Very reasonable at the time I got them. They work great if you're going to be making a variety of different scents. You can measure out your fragrances, put them back in the rack until ready to use(they each have a cork, so you don't have to smell all of them at once!), and when you've added your scent and have washed/rinsed them out, they have drying pins you put them on so they're ready for the next use.:yay:

Man! I finished homeschooling and gave all my science stuff away. Drat!!!

I've been using stainless steel measuring cups, but will think about the Dixie cups for sure! Cleaning can be a pain. Whatever cuts that back is a great plan! lol

I use the flip tops as well, but sometimes, I squirt too much FO into my FO measuring cup. Since I use one cup per scent, I just put back the excess. How do you do it if you weigh your FO into the pot that already has wax in it? Do you always weigh exact?

I do....actually, I am fanatic about it. I am using the KD600 scale which gives me precise measurements. I usually work with 3lbs...sometimes 4 lbs of wax in the pour pot. Once it has been weighed, I tare to 00.00. (Although it is not necessary. You can just add the FO to the measurement just as easy ) It is almost like Bartending...you get a "feel" for how much you just squeeze in and than back off and lighten up to a drop/drizzle until you hit it right on the money! Easy Peasy once you get accustomed to it.

You could start off with 2lbs and if you put too much FO, just add more wax until you are back on target with your measurements. I guess you are just way more careful when you are adding to the wax as opposed to the transfer method.

I just didn't like the waste, cleaning and time involved with using a container.

I do....actually, I am fanatic about it. I am using the KD600 scale which gives me precise measurements. I usually work with 3lbs...sometimes 4 lbs of wax in the pour pot. Once it has been weighed, I tare to 00.00. (Although it is not necessary. You can just add the FO to the measurement just as easy ) It is almost like Bartending...you get a "feel" for how much you just squeeze in and than back off and lighten up to a drop/drizzle until you hit it right on the money! Easy Peasy once you get accustomed to it.

You could start off with 2lbs and if you put too much FO, just add more wax until you are back on target with your measurements. I guess you are just way more careful when you are adding to the wax as opposed to the transfer method.

I just didn't like the waste, cleaning and time involved with using a container.

You're right -- I'd probably be more careful if I knew I couldn't remove excess FO since it's already in the wax. Since I use a separate FO measuring container (one for each FO, no clean up required :grin2: ) I just squirt away until I get close then I squeeze just enough to get drops. But sometimes, when I'm in a rush I don't hit the brakes on time.

You're right -- I'd probably be more careful if I knew I couldn't remove excess FO since it's already in the wax. Since I use a separate FO measuring container (one for each FO, no clean up required :grin2: ) I just squirt away until I get close then I squeeze just enough to get drops. But sometimes, when I'm in a rush I don't hit the brakes on time.

Or... I've had this happen. Got my pot of wax on scale, and tared it out. Happily squirting my FO into pot. Then, scale (electronic) auto-shuts-off in mid-squirt. CRAP! So now I just need to make sure I squirt fast enough for the scale to realize that I'm adding weight to the mix.

But... if I accurately weighed the wax and color and know the weight of my pot, I can subtract those out to find the weight of the FO I added.

Tony

Kudos to those of you that use methods that don't contribute to the planet's overwhelming garbage/excessive waste problem. Constantly throwing away plastic is especially troubling as plastic never fully deteriorates and it creates a great deal of pollution to manufacture in the first place. Also, the "disposables" add to your cost of production. Not trying to insult anyone - PLEASE don't take it as such. I'm just trying to spread some enlightenment. We have a global crisis on our hands and every little positive change we make DOES make a difference.