Buying a scale

I got my digital scale at Walmart in the kitchen section. I think it was 30 bucks.

I started with that too, but it only weighs to 5lbs and for awhile it was great. I need something larger now, so I got one from OldWillKnot also (directly from the website)

They have one with disposable faceplates for us candlemakers. It was about $40...they also had some in their clearance section for less than $30 that would work great.

I got my digital scale at Walmart in the kitchen section. I think it was 30 bucks.

Ditto, but mine was less then $30 I believe around $20. And works for weighing FO's, Wax, and items upto 5# for shipping. So I just weigh 5#, & weigh another 5#etc... For shipping $$$. But I wouldn't try (anymore!!!) to make candles without a scale. At first I did, and then found out how much easier & more precise it is to use a scale.

Old Will Knott has good scales. I don't know his user ID on ebay but you can buy it directly from his website which is www.oldwillknott.com. You should get one which is accurate to 0.1 oz so that you can weigh your FOs accurately. Having to weigh 5 lbs of wax at a time is a minor inconvenience compared to not having accuracy to 0.1 oz.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I wanted one with a digital readout and could measure both ounces and grams because sometimes recipes are given in metric units and it's just easier if you don't need to convert back to ounces. Then I narrowed it down to those which were accurate to at least 0.1 oz or 1 gram as you need that kind of accuracy especially when doing smaller batches. The maximum capacity (e.g. 5 lbs) is another consideration. If it's too low, you will have to measure your ingredients in stages, which I don't mind doing once in a while, but is a hassle if you have to do it all the time. Whether it plugs into the wall or runs on batteries is another consideration based on your personal preference. Lastly, you'd consider those within your budget.

Personally, I love my triple beam balance. Then again, I am a scientist and am used to using it... but it's certainly not hard. Has a capacity of about 5 pounds, and an accuracy of more than 0.1 g. Really, if you're making small batches, 1-3 candles, IMO, you need a scale that will measure down to 0.1 g... AT LEAST, esp. for dyes.