Favorite Suppliers?

brydean

Ok, I'm hoping maybe a few of you will help me. I am loving making soap and other B&B. With our tax return, my dh says to take some money and invest in supplies. I'm just not sure where to start. I need a decent soap cutter, some micas and oxcides, essential oils, fragrance oils. A place to find butters and oils in bulk. Packaging supplies etc. I did find the list of supliers, but where do I start? Who are some of your favorites and why?

Thanks!!!!!:yay:

Good for you! :)

For F/O's, I like these suppliers:

The Scent Works

Sweet Cakes

Magestic Mountain Sage

Wholesale Supplies Plus

Bitter Creek North

Bear Labs

Daystar

For oils and butters:

Oils By Nature

Olive Tree Soaps

Columbus Foods

WalMart (for coconut oil without me having to wait or pay shipping)

MarieJeanette

Daystar is a great place for fragrance oils. They are really good quality. Oils by Nature is also a great oil supply business. They have a great selection at good prices and good service. When she accidently shipped my order to the wrong address (we had just moved) she fixed it right away.

I get 90% of my supplies from Brambleberry.

1) Their customer service is awesome.

2) They have very competitive pricing and a great selection of FO, EO, butters, micas, etc.

3) All of their FO are tested in CP soap (which is very important to me so I know I am not wasting money).

4) They cater to the soapmaker. That was all that they sold until recently they added candle FO and supplies.

5) You only use .5 oz. per lb. of oils with their FO.

I am hooked. The only reason why I order from any other place is if they do not have the FO that I want.

Good luck in your selection.

Jennifer

For a decent soap cutter you cant beat FCS (for crafts sake). They are spendy, but worth every scent you will pay on them. :)

Everyone else has made great suggestions for supplies. I tend to like MMS for my oils and such mainly because they do have good quality, I've never had a problem with their CS, and they are relatively close so shipping doesn't completely kill me.

When I need to buy in big bulk I go with Columbus foods.

If you are into this as a hobby and don't see that changing in the near future (less than 18 months), I'd buy some martha molds from Kmart, a plastic miter box from Lowe's/menards and a high quality dry wall spackling knife. The MM molds for your soap and the miter box (get the wider one to accommadate your soap slabs) and dry wall knife for cutting bars (you'll get nice even cuts this way). Several molds and the box and cutter can all be purchased for less than $50. This way, you can make decent bars and not break the bank. When you're ready to take your business to the next level, invest in more expensive equipment (that does work better and saves you time).

Don't feel like you need to purchase a mold from every company that makes soap molds just to try them out. I'd focus more on your recipe and technique and less on what mold your soap is poured into. You can have a kick ass mold from 20 different companies, but if your soap is shit, what good is that mold (off my soap box now, sorry, I see what too many new soapers buying this mold and that mold and this mold and that mold).

FO's, my 2 favorites for CP are Brambleberry and Scentworks. I've got some FO's from Sweetcakes that I bought off the classifieds, and they are good too.

Mica's, I buy mine from www.theconservatorie.com She has a wide selection and most are good in all b&b applications. I've picked up mica's from co-ops also.

Clays, I buy them at camdengrey and kangarooblue.

EO's, I buy at camdengrey.

Oils, columbus. 7 gal if you don't have the capacity to store them, the larger sizes if you can store them (freezer). Cuts down on your cost a lot. Shea/VCO and sometimes CB, abanga karite (that's misspelled but it's in the list of vendors).

I love for my B&B stuff (packaging, butters, oils, etc) these are some of my favorite suppliers for all

Scent Works

Oregon Trails

MMS

Garden of Wisdom

Oils By Nature

A Garden Eastward

Columbus Foods

Tony's

Wendy

Bayousome

Elements

Lotion Crafters

KY

Old Mill

The Soap Dish

I know I have others but thats all I can think of right now.

I love for my B&B stuff (packaging, butters, oils, etc) these are some of my favorite suppliers for all

Scent Works

Oregon Trails

MMS

Garden of Wisdom

Oils By Nature

A Garden Eastward

Columbus Foods

Tony's

Wendy

Bayousome

Elements

Lotion Crafters

KY

Old Mill

The Soap Dish

I know I have others but thats all I can think of right now.

Gee Mer - are there any that AREN'T on your list? LOL!

Thanks everyone! Thats what I needed! It seems several names come up quite often, I'll start with those!

Not to worry about the molds! Too expensive for an addiction!:grin2:

I actually tried the Martha Molds but couldn't find them at my K-mart. A friend is going to make me some molds.

Thanks!:yay: