Nipple Need Help with a new mother recipe formulation....

AkainePSP

My sisiter in law just had a baby. This morning infact. Poor thing was in labor for almost 2 days. Well I made a cream for the baby but Mom was all excited because she thought it was a nipple cream. Mom is nursing. I need a basic recipe for a nipple cream or balm and I thought maybe a belly balm would be nice too. Could someone help me come up with a recipe with any of the ingredients I listed below? Please & Thanks~Kelly

I have the following ingredients:

Beeswax

Avocado Butter

Mango Butter

Shea Butter

Goats Milk Cream Base

Foaming Bath Butter Base

Coconut Oil

Avocado Oil

Grapeseed Oil

Sweet Almond Oil

Apricot Kernal Oil

Avocado Oil infused with Lavender and Calendula

Lavender Buds

Calendula Petals

Chamomile

not much help, but I would personally pass on the herbs and infusions (and no FBB).

For nipples, the most highly recommended is pure lanolin.

I posted a belly oil recipe in the recipes section - a PG mom gave it rave reviews for taking the itch away. Not sure if it would be of benefit post partum.

BTW, the title made me titter.

If she's nursing, I'm not sure I'd use Lanolin or anything else since it will be ingested. When her milk comes in, the colostrum is great for the nipples, and after have her just continue to use her own milk, works great and is totally safe for the baby.

I can't remember the brand name exactly, it's something like lanolish, but it's 100% lanolin that's been processed so it's safe for the baby. It's sold in 1 oz tubes for around $10, medium purple packaging and tubes. Walmart sells it. A very small amount goes a long way, so although this sounds like it costs a lot, it really doesn't. And it's well worth the expense. If she can't find it, ask a clerk for help because they do sell it, it's just a small item so it can be hard to find on the shelves.

This is the only product I'd recommend using on the nipples. Nothing else. Not even straight shea or lavender. Seriously.

Other than that, air dry after nursing, use cotton bras and if she can afford them, cotton reuseable breast pads, not the disposible ones. She might want to wash her bras/breast pads seperately and run them through an extra rinse cycle, esp if she uses bleach in her laundry. And make sure the baby is latching on correctly, if not, this can cause some serious painful issues.

Actually, I would recommend she doesn't use a thing at all.

I was pretty freaked out when I read all the things that could happen to your breasts, but I used absolutely nothing and never had any problems at all. Normally, you won't have problems if the baby is latching correctly anyway.

A site that was really there for me when I needed to ask the craziest questions about breastfeeding is www.breastfeeding.com. They have a message board that is very busy and full of good advice!

I LOVE LANSINOH!!! I used it all the time with my kids...I had "super suckers" and my nipples bled!! My milk didn't work for me, but Lansioh did! I still by it and use it on all sorts of things...super chapped lips, hangnails, eczema patches...and more.

BTW Sherie...I am working on going into nursing school with the dreams of being an L&D nurse too!!!

Love it for myriad things - lip balm you bet! eczema patches - stays put for the whole day! even used it for a bit when my daughter had terrible diarrhea - once I got the area clean and dry I put it on and it protected her raw skin like nobody's business! Lanolin ROCKS.

I agree on the lanolin. With my first baby I used it. Milk also works too but make sure she lets it dry after rubbing it in or she could get an infection. For a while at the beginning I had one that was chapped and bleeding and the lanolin really helped to heal it so I could keep nursing.

I nursed four kids and was a member of Laleche in Schaumburg Illinois. We recommend Lansinol you could get it anywhere Target, Babies R' Us anywhere that has baby supplies. Alos recommend the nipple shields. It takes the edge off of the pain until they heal. With my son's they sucked the hell out of me until I bled. My daughters were easier on me.