I've been thinking about trying pillars...

and now that I've looked at all the pics I definately want to try some rustic ones! Up til now I've only done jars, votives and tarts.

I've read good things about the 1343A and thought I'd try that first. Now, can someone explain to me how to get the rustic effect? Pretty Please!:rolleyes2

This is my first time posting here, but I've lurked and there seems to be alot of good info and nice people here!

Thanks!:)

Tamilea

In brief, add 3 tablespoons of stearic acid per lb of wax. Heat until the stearic is melted. Cool to 180. Add 1 ounce of FO per lb. of wax. Drain some into a pour pot and color it. Cool to 150 degrees. Pour into mold. Slosh around with your hand; make sure to splash upwards.

Wait about 20-30 minutes for a skin to form. The wax underneath will still jiggle around. Pour the next layer at 150. Wait some more. Continue until the mold is full. Wait 30-60 minutes for the last layer to start to set up.

Pour 4 deep relief holes and walk away. When the wax has cooled completely, heat your repour wax to 180 degrees. Fill in the cavities with the wax until level at the top. Unmold when completely cold.

Just wait 'til you see the long version.... Coming soon LOL!

e

Eugenia. you explained that method about as well as any I've seen. I've been struggling to make the PERFECT rustic and altho they aren't at the momment I think I'm getting close. I use wax #4625 so it works a little differently than yours. Unfortunately, I can't get 1343 here in Canada. MY difference is I pour at 145 as opposed to your 150.

Tamilea:

keep in mind that 1343 will most likely seep/weep/bleed (whatever you wanna call it) any excess FO that the wax cannot hold. I've just started using 1343 and am still learning. I poured a 3x3 w/sandlewood and it did not weep at all but the leftovers I poured a little 2x3 and it weeped all over the place. I'm assuming it was because it was the leftover(bottom of pot) and had a considerable about of unblended FO.

I made some 1343 pillars(non-rustics) using vybar instead of stearic and they did not weep at all.

Just for the record: the 3x3 Sandlewood Rustic was made w/3 tablespoons of stearic, brown in color, wicked w/30 ply, poured at 155* - it's on its 3rd burn and doing great so far. there is a little bit of wick curl but I think w/hugging it will be ok.

In brief, add 3 tablespoons of stearic acid per lb of wax. Heat until the stearic is melted. Cool to 180. Add 1 ounce of FO per lb. of wax. Drain some into a pour pot and color it. Cool to 150 degrees. Pour into mold. Slosh around with your hand; make sure to splash upwards.

Wait about 20-30 minutes for a skin to form. The wax underneath will still jiggle around. Pour the next layer at 150. Wait some more. Continue until the mold is full. Wait 30-60 minutes for the last layer to start to set up.

Pour 4 deep relief holes and walk away. When the wax has cooled completely, heat your repour wax to 180 degrees. Fill in the cavities with the wax until level at the top. Unmold when completely cold.

Just wait 'til you see the long version.... Coming soon LOL!

e

Great directions, E!

sorry for disturbing! But you say to make separate pour even if you use only one color (not layers)?

Is that the trick?

I saw here very amazing rustic pillar.. and I was wondering what I missed!

The Rustic, textured effect comes from the pouring temp. 145-150 degrees. Pour the single layer, then poke the relief holes as it's setting up, opening the holes a few times. When complete cold, do the final pour. I pour that layer hot, 175-180 degrees. I've only used aluminum molds for this, and the wax will shrink, you need to do a final pour.

e

The Rustic, textured effect comes from the pouring temp. 145-150 degrees. Pour the single layer, then poke the relief holes as it's setting up, opening the holes a few times. When complete cold, do the final pour. I pour that layer hot, 175-180 degrees. I've only used aluminum molds for this, and the wax will shrink, you need to do a final pour.

e

thank you very much.

I can't wait to try! (as usual)

:yay:

I use wax #4625 so it works a little differently than yours. Unfortunately, I can't get 1343 here in Canada.
Tucker you are lucky to be living in Canada. There is a much wider variety of IGI straight paraffins distributed there, many of which I just can't get my hands on in the States. You've been sounding so motivated to emulate the rustic pros here, so perhaps replace your preblend with a slab of IGI 1245 from Canwax or something like that. You have an awesome array of wax options!

What kind of scent load will this stuff hold? The 1343A, I mean. Usually, that is....I know fo's are different and such!

I can't wait to try these...I think I'm burned out on containers and want to try something else.:grin2:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Tamilea