I think I am ready...

Ashlie K

I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting to see how it went!! :waiting:

I'm waiting to get to bed too!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: Just kidding!! Take your time Ashlie!!!:highfive:

She's my neighbor - if I dared leave the kids (don't worry, I don't and I won't) I'd run over to see what's up!!!

Go Ashlie GO!!! Put those oils to good use!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I spoke to Eugenia and I am going to wait until tomorrow to do it while its room temp. In a little while I will begin to mix the lye and water and let that sit overnight.

Carol, thank you so much for the stuff!!

And Ive decided that I will use Oatmeal, milk and honey as the scent.

Yeah! Post pictures and you might find a use for those wick pins yet ... they might be good swirling pieces :D Good luck with your first batch!!
Hilarious, Julie. Did I mention those wick pins are "HUGE"?

LOL

Its stainless so youre right, I may very well use that for swirling. Thats a little ways to go before I get into swirling, although I have thoight about it.

Take your time Ashlie...I totally know what you mean about DD being home and not wanting to do it. I only get to soap after they have gone to bed and when DH is home... with a DD(6) and DS (2.5) you never know what will happen in the house. We will be patiently waiting:grin2:

Ok

I have not made it as my daughter is home from school. I dont want to do anything while shes here.

So I get to wait yet another day.

It will make no difference. Just give the lye water and the oils each a stir before you mix and you'll be good to go. The soaping itself will take less than half an hour, much less in fact.

I didnt mix the lye as of yet. I am thinking of doing it outside this evening but Im afraid that one of my neighbors calling the cops saying theres a woman with a scale, goggles, gloves and apron making something and they come only for them to laugh since they know who I am...LOL

I have a silly question. Can I leave the lye/water mix outside in my back yard covered overnight?

well, technically you could, but for a few things:

1. you cannot cover it while it's still hot

2. critters can get into it and get really badly hurt

3. so could neighborhood kids or God knows who

Best not to leave it unattended.

I personally weigh and mix it up in the house (after kids are out of the way). I do my mixing with the container IN the kitchen sink and the window above it open but that's really not necessary - just turn your head if you start coughing. Then I just push it to the back of the counter between the toaster oven and the coffee maker. Once it's cool I put the lid on and leave it there. But I'm the only adult in the house and the kids don't go near the counter (too short to reach and they don't drink coffee). So if you do something like that make sure DH knows what's what.

Ashley, be careful of cats when your lye is cooling outside. I'm always terrified that an animal will try to drink it.

The lye only fumes for a couple of minutes. About the time it would take to go outside, mix the lye, smoke a cig, then bring it back in the house...the fumes should be done by then.

Ok I did everything in my clean sink. I have a window and a wood shelf thingy over my faucet which I have a fan on for those moments in the kitchen LOL

I measured and mixed the lye with water. I have a digital thermometer in it and the highest temp was 194. Its sitting in my sink for a few while the fumes are blowing out of the window with the help of the fan.

Now I felt and definitely looked like a Chemist with an apron, gloves, mask, and goggles.

All I needed was the pencil holder to look exactly like one or a geek LOL

I have decided to try the castile soap recipe since it is simple and my husband requested something with no scent or color in it.

I figured this would be the perfect one to start with.

I was so nervous earlier having senile moments but now all is well..LOL

Thanks to all that have answered my questions, the people I spoke to over the phone, the advice and the PM's.

Very MUCH appreciated. THANK YOU!

Oh and carol, the quitting smoking part is gonna be a longggggggggggggggggg while before I quit. I dont have the will power. LOL

Castile soap can be considered luxurious to some, and is very gentle on the skin. But do keep in mind, it takes a long time to cure (get hard) completely and also can give you a "slimey" feel, like snot once you get it wet. I am not trying to gross you out, but these are the tendencies of what OO does in higher percentages.

Castile takes a while to trace, don't get discouraged. It is actually a good thing as it gives you time to see how the oils change as they become emulisified.

Leave that baby in the mold for AT LEAST one day, IMO.

It will be easier to cut if it isn't so soft.

I mix the my lye usually days before. I leave it in the basement in a covered pitcher.

When I want to soap, I zap the hard oils in the micro, add the soft oils- give it a blast with the SB and then dump the lye solution in and mix throughly with a slotted spoon and then start using the SB.