Goat milk HELP PLEASE!

elitenaildesign

I am making Michelles Shortening and Sudzy soap. I actually found goat milk at our store. So anyway, I added my lye to the goat milk and it became the grossest thing i have ever seen. It got kinda thick and an orangy brown color and then the odor was unlike anything I ever want to smell again. So I sat it outside as its 2degrees out right now. This was the end of my lye. I am totally at a loss as what to do with it, or is it normal. Honestly if iwould have left it in the house I think we would have suffocated as the fumes were so bad,

Hee hee. Sorry I shouldn't laugh but I can see it happening - cause that's exactly what happened to me!

First, you want to freeze the GM before adding the lye, and add it a bit at a time - otherwise you end up with scorched GM. Other options are to used condensed GM and use the water portion (that you would normally dilute it out with) for the lye and add the rest later in the process.

As for "what now" - well I soaped with my scorched GM and the smell did go away - eventually.

Now I used powdered GM added to the oils.

Let it cool and set up some more - then I would pour it carefully into a big ziplock bag and then put that into another bag. Then trash it very carefully. Or mix in the bacon grease from your fridge/freezer and make trash soap (takes the zap out of the lye by giving it something to work on, but the soap it turns into is still trash!)

Sounds good. But I think that adding liquid after the sol'n has cooled can still generate a lot of heat. So you may want to add the GM at trace - that will perhaps make for less chance of smellies.

I assume the total liquid you want for your batch is 12 + 6 oz, right?

Hello, you must first freeze the goats' milk and when it is a slushy consistency, add the lye very slowly, it could take about 15 minutes. Also, have your goat milk in an ice bath when adding lye, and that will keep it from scorching. Goat's milk soap doesn't need to be covered or insulated. It will still have a tannish color but not burnt.

Stephanie

If you are using the canned, concentrated stuff (Meyenberg), then you don't need to freeze your GM before using in soap. That GM needs to be mixed with an equal amount of water to be reconstituted to normal strength. Therefore you can just mix your lye with half the full water amount (no discount) then add the rest of your liquid as chilled, canned GM at trace. No stink, no scorch. I do this with 3 oz. water ppo, then an additional 3 oz. GM ppo at trace. hth

If you are using the canned, concentrated stuff (Meyenberg), then you don't need to freeze your GM before using in soap. That GM needs to be mixed with an equal amount of water to be reconstituted to normal strength. Therefore you can just mix your lye with half the full water amount (no discount) then add the rest of your liquid as chilled, canned GM at trace. No stink, no scorch. I do this with 3 oz. water ppo, then an additional 3 oz. GM ppo at trace. hth

Ditto

This is how I make mine. Different measurements.....but same steps

• 1 year later...

Ditto. Adding it slowly to the slush and letting it cool abit before adding more will keep the color down. I made some the other day and decided to put my snow berm by the house to good use. I stuck the stainless steel bowl in the snow to keep the stuff chilled while I stirred in the lye in 3 steps stirring in between. Worked like a champ and got a nice very light tan soap. Also did not have to worry about ammonia smell in the house. The ammonia smell is a natural part of the process but the bars do not retain it, so it does go away.

Delia in snowy Spokane

I measure out the GM and put it in a ziplock back and lay it flat in the freezer. Then take the frozen slab out and break it up so it fits in my container. Then I pour my lye over it and start stirring and poking. It will start to slush up, keep poking and stirring until it's all liquid. Wa la, you're good to go. HTH

I am making Michelles Shortening and Sudzy soap. I actually found goat milk at our store. So anyway, I added my lye to the goat milk and it became the grossest thing i have ever seen. It got kinda thick and an orangy brown color and then the odor was unlike anything I ever want to smell again. So I sat it outside as its 2degrees out right now. This was the end of my lye. I am totally at a loss as what to do with it, or is it normal. Honestly if iwould have left it in the house I think we would have suffocated as the fumes were so bad,

I plan to use this recipe as well but I WON'T be using goats milk until I've made at least a dozen 2 & 4lb batches. I will be making it with water. So many have said this is a great soap. I have the goats milk too! But having never soaped before, I'll ease my way into goat's milk soap with great care. I think I'll love it once I get the hang of making it too

Hope you second batch works out great for you!

Fire

• 3 years later...

I still have about 6oz of GM left, so I was think ing mixing the lye with 12oz water and after that cools adding the 6oz gm. Sound good? That way I can officially say I have soaped with gm.the goat's milk is the liguid you use in the formula that comes out of the lye calculator summer BEE and MMS are the ones I use. you can use any combonation of water and goats milk. freezing the goats milk is an option. placing the bowl in an ice bath helps but ALL of my attemptes have turned out fumey and orange..which is where I turned to titanium dioxide.. PM if you want my opinion on it's "carcinogenic effects".

When I make 100% gm soap this is what do: measure out your gm into a cup and pour into a small stainless steel bowl. Set the bowl down into a pan of ice cubes and clip a thermometer to the side of the bowl. Measure out the lye and begin slowly pouring into the gm and watching the temp. As the mixture approaches 100 degrees stop adding the lye until it cools back down and resume adding lye. The result will be a lemon yellow mixture that resembles custard. Pour into your oils and then place in your mold and do not insulate. My soap only tans if I use an fo with vanilla or cinnamon but you should be aware that gm will cause acceleration with some fos. I usually don't try to swirl but you can if you keep your temp down. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550