Shortening & Shea Sudsy Soap Recipe

michelleB

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Michelle,

I am extremely confused because I am new at this I guess, when you state 40%, how much is that 1 cup or what:D and at the bottom you speak about 4.5 goat milk, where is the goat milk in the recipe, help me girl

You have to decide on what size batch you want to make first. A 2lb batch should be good. So 40% of 32oz (2lbs) is 12.8oz. You should be weighing the oils on a scale and not using measuring cups. As far as adding goats milk, you just subtract from the water in the original recipe and replace it with the milk

• 2 months later...
Superfat: I did a 4.5% superfat on this recipe because I used full Goat Milk as the flluid and didn't want the extra fat from the milk to interfere with my suds negatively. This way, I got a really creamy lather with a lot of bigger bubbles too, instead of just the creamy by itself. Hope that makes sense!

Does this simply mean to set your superfat % to 4.5 in your lye calculator?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to make this soap ,, i havent made soap in over a year.. i am trying to figure out how to transfer this batch into a bigger batch like a 3lb batch and in ounces? can someone help me?? or point me to the rite caluclator that can help me? thank you:)

Went to MMS and put everything just like you said for a three lb batch. Then ordered everything from http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/. I'm taking a break from candles till the first of Jan so I should be able to fit it in. Didn't get any silk cause I think I have some silk pw., now if I can find it is another thing. You can use a small (q-tip) size of silk fabric? can't you?

I want to make this soap ,, i havent made soap in over a year.. i am trying to figure out how to transfer this batch into a bigger batch like a 3lb batch and in ounces? can someone help me?? or point me to the rite caluclator that can help me? thank you:)

I went to http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

page down and answer the questions. It will ask at the end how many oz's you want put in 48 and the calculator will auto figure in oz. Her recipe said 12% castor oil and the calculator figures 5.76 oz's. You put in the % of each and it will take care of the rest. Good luck..

• 1 month later...

Well I made this recipe using everything as stated. Only thing is I'm not sure it was right the way I did it. Have never made CP soap only MicroWave and CPOP and HP. But thought I'd give it a try. Doesn't look right to me but...

At MMS I put the % of each ingredient. Here is what I got.

5.76 castor

7.68 coconut

7.2 palm kernal

4.8 rice bran

3.36 shae

19.2 soybean

6.7 lye

used 16 oz water (8oz had goat milk pw)

1tesp salt

2tab sugar

1/4 tesp of silk powder

Everything was cooler before I got started.

Stirred by hand before I could find my stick blender.

It never did get hot or clabbered looking,

just creamy and thickened. I'm sure it won't turn out.

So if after awhile it doesn't turn to soap, what will fix it?

Just doesn't seem like enough lye. so what do you think?

Edited by Sharon in KY

• 4 weeks later...

I love this recipe, I've made it about 3 or 4 times and have never had a problem with it. It sets up really fast and seems to cure to a hard soap in about 3 weeks. It also comes out of the molds really easy, since it gets so hard. I really don't recall seeing it gel, at least not like the other recipes I've used before. Thanks for the great recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempts of CPing over the weekend I used this recipe. I didn't tackle the GM I just used distilled water and left out the silk since I didn't have any. I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of soaping and my first time results :yay: (Yes, I believe I have found a new addiction - lol) I cannot wait to use this soap in the shower, after just a couple days it makes my hands feel so divine ! My only question is will it get "bubblier" as it cures? I was hoping for mega bubbles when I cleaned up my soaping dishes but there wasn't as many as I expected. Could I have done something wrong ?

Edited by Brenda (OH)

My only question is will it get "bubblier" as it cures? I was hoping for mega bubbles when I cleaned up my soaping dishes but there wasn't as many as I expected. Could I have done something wrong ?

Took the plunge and tested a bar instead of little slivers . . this recipe is very creamy with great bubbling action !!! :yay: