Shortening & Shea Sudsy Soap Recipe

michelleB

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this one last night with the goats milk and I think it turned out great. I already cut it and it is very firm, tried a piece and it is very bubbly.I used BC's Sea Breeze in it and it traced fast, but was very easy to control. Thanks for sharing this with us. Next I am gonna use OT's Buzzy Bumble Buttermilk. (if it ever gets here) That scent and this recipe should be perfect.

I soap this yesterday and so far so good.... although I forgot the sugar/salt... and silk... and I even have some....

looks like I'm making another batch tonight....

I did really like it.....

how do you all do your label... do you just say Crisco.. ?

I just soaped this one again for the 5th or 6th time and I just want to stress how much difference the salt/sugar makes in the hardness of the bar. I made my first few batches minus the salt/sugar. All subsequent batches have been super hard less than 12 hours later. I was able to unmold in less than 12 hours. I love this recipe.. now if I could figure out how to get the silk to melt. I soaped this super cool with frozen goats milk. I added the salt and sugar to the goats milk then froze it. Once I mix with lye, it does not seem to generate enough heat for the silk. I soaped Peaks Gardenia and it moved quickly, but I had plenty of time to get it into the mold with just a few bursts with the SB. I added the fo to the melted cool oils. Give this recipe a try.. it really is fabulous!!Teri

Oh I'm so going to soap it again... I haven't cut the batch I made yet.. wanted to last night but mom had other ideas... LOL

it was really easy to work with ... I have to remember the salt/sugar & silk this time....

added the salt and sugar to the goats milk then froze it. Once I mix with lye, it does not seem to generate enough heat for the silk.

I do my lye sol'n in a tall container and can SB it in there safely (wearing goggles!!!!!). You might try that - the mechanical action can help break up the silk.

Finally got fed up with my scale turning off on me & got me a Will Knott 7000! :yay:

Silicon'd my mold with that Kitchen & Bath sealant and now I'm ready to try this one.

One question, can I use regular homogenized & pasterized supermarket milk? Or maybe cream, or half&half? Can't get GM. Should I freeze as you would GM? Or should I just stick to water?

I do my lye sol'n in a tall container and can SB it in there safely (wearing goggles!!!!!). You might try that - the mechanical action can help break up the silk.

Oh thanks CareBear.. I was so hoping someone would tell me how the heck to get the silk in there!! I am so glad that I froze some pre measured gm so I can make this right away!

:embarasse LOL..This forum is killing me...:rolleyes2

I started out making candles in Dec..

I really never payed much attention to the

bath and body side of the forum..untill this week,

I don't know what to do..I want to make this soap,:confused:

the emulsified body butter lotion that was posted in another thread...:laugh2:

My husband will kill me for sure:grin2:

if he finds me starting something new again..

I sew, quilt, now candles, bath and body..oh my oh my..

Is this a recipe for a beginner? I don't want to get in

over my head.:yay: I have never made soap before..

:embarasse LOL..This forum is killing me...:rolleyes2

I started out making candles in Dec..

I really never payed much attention to the

bath and body side of the forum..untill this week,

I don't know what to do..I want to make this soap,:confused:

the emulsified body butter lotion that was posted in another thread...:laugh2:

My husband will kill me for sure:grin2:

if he finds me starting something new again..

I sew, quilt, now candles, bath and body..oh my oh my..

Is this a recipe for a beginner? I don't want to get in

over my head.:yay: I have never made soap before..

I am a beginner. It was one of my first recipes. READ READ READ and then read some more. It is so easy to make soap.. you will be hooked. I seriously encourage you to learn all the safety issues with lye.. you will find yourself looking for fo's that can be used in soap and candles.. you won't be sorry.. it is so satisfying when you finally get to use your soap. This recipe is divine. My skin feels fantastic.. you can feel how moisturizing it is once you rinse it off in the shower. Good Luck

There are a few very basic recipes here - Darwin's and Eugenia's (super simple) and a couple of others. But frankly any recipe is fine to start with - it's the additives that tend to complicate things. By words of advice are - "soap cool".

I just soaped this recipe. It feels absolutely WONDERFUL. However, it turned out VERY soft, so I'll have to see how it cures.

A couple of newbie problems I encountered:

• The GM was scorched and turned orange. However, it didn't smell funny so I assume it was still ok.
  • The silk fiber did not dissolve. The GM never got hot enough. :sad2:
  • I ended up adding the salt and sugar to the goat milk & lye and not to the pre-frozen goat's milk (per instructions), so I am not sure it worked and I believe that's why my soap is so soft.

Oh well, I'll try it again and try to avoid my problems next time by adding the lye a LOT more slowly. As for the silk, I will probably try to dissolve that in a minimal amount of lye water, then add that to the goat's milk.

Overall, I LOVE the feel of this soap and with a bit of practice I can tell it will be a keeper for me. :highfive:

Off to go soap! :yay:

I just soaped this recipe. It feels absolutely WONDERFUL. However, it turned out VERY soft, so I'll have to see how it cures.

A couple of newbie problems I encountered:

• The GM was scorched and turned orange. However, it didn't smell funny so I assume it was still ok.
  • The silk fiber did not dissolve. The GM never got hot enough. :sad2:
  • I ended up adding the salt and sugar to the goat milk & lye and not to the pre-frozen goat's milk (per instructions), so I am not sure it worked and I believe that's why my soap is so soft.

Oh well, I'll try it again and try to avoid my problems next time by adding the lye a LOT more slowly. As for the silk, I will probably try to dissolve that in a minimal amount of lye water, then add that to the goat's milk.

Overall, I LOVE the feel of this soap and with a bit of practice I can tell it will be a keeper for me. :highfive:

Off to go soap! :yay:

Hey Girl.. I just soaped this again the other night. I was finally able to get all the ingredients in. I will do one more thing differently. I will attempt to finely snip the silk fibers and add them to my butters and melt them with those. I have a batch that is one week out and it will be ready to test. This batch is only missing silk. If adding it to the butters does not melt it good enough, I will try heating up my water and melting the fibers... then add the sugar,salt and powdered goats milk.... then freeze. I have been premixing/freezing a few days ahead so this might be a possible solution as well.. either way, I am getting that damn silk in there! The batches that I have made with salt/sugar and gm are very firm after only several hours. I waited to cut this last batch for about 36 hours and it is like cutting a slab of parmesean cheese. VERY FIRM. I add salt/sugar to my goats milk, make sure it is dissolved and freeze it. Compared to batches that I made 6 weeks ago, this soap is incredibly hard. I just love this soap recipe. Once I am able to adequately test a batch that has all the ingredients, I will report my findings. So far, Michelle did an awesome job with this. I LOVE the creaminess,silkiness and the hardness.. Should turn out to be fabulous!Teri

Care Bear I have to apologize for my mistake. I thought this recipe was yours. I din't read the poast thread from the start. To find out it was from

MichelleB :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse Nou my qestion is again to MichelleB hou to i mix the powder milk in to the oils and when

:tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

Sorry agan Care Bear

Hey Girl.. I just soaped this again the other night. I was finally able to get all the ingredients in. I will do one more thing differently. I will attempt to finely snip the silk fibers and add them to my butters and melt them with those. I have a batch that is one week out and it will be ready to test. This batch is only missing silk. If adding it to the butters does not melt it good enough, I will try heating up my water and melting the fibers... then add the sugar,salt and powdered goats milk.... then freeze. I have been premixing/freezing a few days ahead so this might be a possible solution as well.. either way, I am getting that damn silk in there! The batches that I have made with salt/sugar and gm are very firm after only several hours. I waited to cut this last batch for about 36 hours and it is like cutting a slab of parmesean cheese. VERY FIRM. I add salt/sugar to my goats milk, make sure it is dissolved and freeze it. Compared to batches that I made 6 weeks ago, this soap is incredibly hard. I just love this soap recipe. Once I am able to adequately test a batch that has all the ingredients, I will report my findings. So far, Michelle did an awesome job with this. I LOVE the creaminess,silkiness and the hardness.. Should turn out to be fabulous!Teri

Okay.. trying to melt the silk in the butters does not work. I need to keep a little of the water out and mix the silk in with it and lye.. just wanted to let you know

Okay.. trying to melt the silk in the butters does not work. I need to keep a little of the water out and mix the silk in with it and lye.. just wanted to let you know

Thanx for the update. I'm thinking about using aloe vera juice for that portion, instead of water. Might not be worth the extra effort though, I don't know.

I am not finding the PKO Flakes..Maybe they are abbreviated, and I just don't know the full name. Also will the silk powder work instead of the silk fibers? I am probably showing my ignorance but what is the Preservative?:confused:

I told you ladies I would probably need alot of help:laugh2:

I am not finding the PKO Flakes..Maybe they are abbreviated, and I just don't know the full name. Also will the silk powder work instead of the silk fibers? I am probably showing my ignorance but what is the Preservative?:confused:

I told you ladies I would probably need alot of help:laugh2:

I am not sure what you are referring to about preservative, but PKO stands for Palm Kernal Oil. I get mine from Wholesale Supplies Plus because shipping is $6.95 for anything under $25. This is an AWESOME recipe.

Thanks for the info on PKO.. I was wondering do any of you ladies make money selling these soaps and lotions..:P I have been looking at the different stores to buy the things for this soap and also the Emulsified Body Butter...and you could really get carried away here...:grin2: There are really some great things here..I don't think you could ever quit..I just wish I had a endless pocket book:laugh2: I still have a question about the silk..can I use the powdered silk?