Swans had a new 100% natural blend soy

I just wanted to let you guys know that Swans has a new soy that is not suppose to frost. I have not tried it yet, but I am going to receive a sample. I will test it up against the Calsoy CB-3 Soy which I get from Swans. I love the CB-3 (even with its soy quirks) but I like to compare at times. Altough, it seems like when I do, I still stick with CB-3. You never know though, maybe this new one will win this time, and I could still get it in my state! :)

I will give it a try and post the results. Here is what is says about the soy on Swan's website:

"Accu-Soy 10 11lb Slab

AccuSoy10S

A smooth all natural blend of 100% soywax ingredients. It has excellent color retention, hot and cold scent throw and is clean burning. No additives required.Blended to eliminate frosting of colored candles & adheres very well to the glass.Pours with a smooth top & has very long burn times. As with all natural products,soy blends will vary slightly from batch to batch. One pour blend! All raw materials are soy products All raw materials are manufactured in the US. All materials are FDA certified, Kosher certified & USP certified. MP 122"

EDITED TO ADD: By the way. Swans has awesome customer service. I order my wax one day and it goes out that same day. I ordered a box today and it went out today. They really do have great customer service.

Oh great, can't wait to hear your results Holly. It's always nice to find wax close by, cause the shipping is a killer for us.

Hey Gerrie,

I will let you know how it goes. And yes, shipping is a killer for us.

I never did get back to you several weeks ago on the GL board regarding where we live, etc. :o It was at a time where I was soooooo busy with stuff. I have been meaning to get back to you on that thread or send a PM. Sometimes I get typed-out too. :tiptoe: *faint*

I hope your candle making is going well. :)

Hi Holly! :)

That's great news about the wax at Swan's! I'll be interested in your results too! And you are SO right about the shipping to us here! Not to mention having to wait a week for stuff from back east - that's almost worse than the cost of the shipping sometimes! ;)

Lori

Hi Holly! :)

That's great news about the wax at Swan's! I'll be interested in your results too! And you are SO right about the shipping to us here! Not to mention having to wait a week for stuff from back east - that's almost worse than the cost of the shipping sometimes! ;)

Lori

Hi Lori,

I will let you know. I really like the CB-3 but am curious as to how they compare. I go colorless now so that takes care of the dreadful frosting in the winter months. I really love the look of colorless soy candles.

Yes, the wait is a killer. Especially, when you are in a pinch and need something fast. Not all suppliers offer USPS. I sure wish Swans had a better variety of wicks. I am going to ask Pete if maybe he could add some. They do have great customber service and are very friendly.

Sometimes when I test a special jar and need a certain type of wick I do not have and on a time schedule, it drives me nuts to have to wait for them to get here. Bittercreek has USPS so I get my wicks there but even that is not fast enough for me. When I order from my state I can usually get it the next day. :grin2:

Thank you for responding to my post on the temp board. I responded back after the main site got back up. I am not sure if you saw it.....did not want you to think I did not see your post. I can't even remember what it was about now. :confused:

Have a great weekend!

Hi Holly. Do post your results. I have almost been thinking of going to the cb30 but have so much wax in the basement, I keep thinking I should use it up first. But...if results are great, I may bend my purchasing rule just a hair!:) Beth

Hi Beth,

You know, the CB-30 is the wax that I have used for special one wick jars. However, the couple slabs I got in the last year are different. Calwax has changed something and it does not have the quality that it used to have. Pete mentioned that they need to fix it. It is harder and whiter than it used to be. The whiteness does not bother me but it tells me that it is different along with it being harder. It will actually crack in my status jar. I notice a decrease in scent throw too. I think so anyway. It is almost like there is less soy in it than before. Since it is whiter this could be the case. I should call Calwax.

Swans does carry a new Accu paraffin blend. I can't remember the number now and can't recall if it has soy in it. I think it does. I have not tested it much yet. It is really pretty and works wells in one wick containers. The throw may not be quite as good as the old CB-30 but not really sure. I would have to test it more to know for sure.

I am still really attached to the CB-3 soy. I know it so well. Calwax better never change it! Unless it would be a better change. :grin2: If the new soy that Swans carries gives as good of a scent throw and has nice tops like the CB-3, than I would switch for less frosting. This way, if I want some colored candles too, I can without having the dreadful frosting in the winter. I will let you know.

~Holly :)

Thank you for responding to my post on the temp board. I responded back after the main site got back up. I am not sure if you saw it.....did not want you to think I did not see your post. I can't even remember what it was about now. :confused:

You're welcome, of course! I can't remember what we were talking about either now! Jeesh! 'Spose I'll have to go look... :embarasse

I'm glad you mentioned about the CB-30 changing... I have a slab of that here and was going to try it for my Creme Brulee FO that's giving me fits in 6006... but my slab is over a year old. So if I tested that slab, it would probably be different than what I'd get if I ordered more now (since it changed in the last year or so). :confused: Bummer!

Have a great rest-of-the-weekend! :)

Lori

I belive this may have been talked about here before on the baords. It seems the formulist (sp?) from Calwax moved to a new company last year (Accu-soy). Swans has been carring this wax for some time now but never listed it on their website. I spoke to their formulist last year and he said he would try and get Swans to send me a sample, but I never received it. :( :(

So glad that Swans is now starting to push this wax more, and hopefully it will be on theri website soon.

please keep us up to date on your testing.

heres another thread

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27551&highlight=accu

edit: I just went to swans website and low and behold, its there

EDITED TO ADD: By the way. Swans has awesome customer service. I order my wax one day and it goes out that same day. I ordered a box today and it went out today. They really do have great customer service.

I just wanted to add that I ordered, late afternoon yesterday, 50lbs of Accu-Soy 10 CB wax to test and they still got it shipped yesterday and it will be delivered today. I think they have one up on GB.:wink2: They did call me to tell me that they needed to adjust the shipping due to the order needing to be in two boxes (I ordered a bunch of small stuff too). He said that something in their shopping cart software didn't take into account the wax size which is pretty common and didn't alarm me at all. I just thought it was nice that they made the effort to call and ask if it was OK. Now wish me luck with the testing :smiley2:

Yep, I have really liked all the stuff I have gotten from them just wish they were a tab closer...lol Like 10 states...:tongue2: But even living as far apart as I do, I still have gotten orders from them faster then some places that are only a day's drive away..go figure...lol

• 8 months later...

I've been testing Accu-soy10 for the last ten months and have sort of felt alone in the wilderness because nobody else ever talks about it. Unfortunately, this is the first soy wax I've used so I really have nothing to which to compare it, other than noting what everybody else says about their wax.

That said, I really like it - easy to work with, smooth tops, creamy, good cold and hot throw. Frosting hasn't been much of an issue, either, except for a few little splotches here and there. That is, until I tried for a Christmas red recently :grin2: but I'll be doing some experimenting with that this week.

One thing I have noticed compared to most conversations here is that I've been able to wick down a little bit. Now I'm not sure if that's really because of the wax or if it's because I don't mind a little hang-up in order to keep the container from overheating. I use masons, btw, so hang-up is a given but when I first started I was using htp 105s. Now I've settled into mostly 51c or sometimes cd-10.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm tickled to hear about somebody else using this, so keep us posted!

Connie

If you don't mind me asking you, do you have to let this wax cure for any length of time? That is my biggest concern right now. I did pour two candles with this and it sets up beautifully. I don't like having to wait (more than a couple days) for a throw though. I'm not very patient so I think that would be the deal breaker for me. But just from the looks so far I really like it. Haven't burned them yet so we'll see. Thanks for replying to this , I was starting to wonder if anyone had used this at all.

I sure wish Accu-Blend had a distributor in the south or on the east coast - even though I would love to sample some of the AccuBlend waxes from Swan's, there's no point in even trying a wax I can't obtain by the case because of the cost of shipping...:undecided

One thing I have noticed compared to most conversations here is that I've been able to wick down a little bit. Now I'm not sure if that's really because of the wax or if it's because I don't mind a little hang-up in order to keep the container from overheating. I use masons, btw, so hang-up is a given but when I first started I was using htp 105s. Now I've settled into mostly 51c or sometimes cd-10.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm tickled to hear about somebody else using this, so keep us posted!

Connie

I think this is definately going to be the case with this wax. I poured one of the scents that is giving me problems (wicking) and got a full MP in about an hour. So wicking down is definately the case. Maybe that will give me better burn times ( I hope). I think I found my wax!!!

I sure wish Accu-Blend had a distributor in the south or on the east coast - even though I would love to sample some of the AccuBlend waxes from Swan's, there's no point in even trying a wax I can't obtain by the case because of the cost of shipping...:undecided

Is Accu-Blend a name Swan gave it or the name from the manufacture?

I was interested in a few of their waxes so I asked about southern, eastern or midwestern distributors. The reply I got stated that they are working toward having one distributor in Texas and another in Ohio by early next year.

HTH