Anybody recognize this stuff?

Top, I should tell you that one of the first gifts my 8th grade BF gave me in 1960 ish was supposedly a set of Jim Morrison's drumsticks from a concert he swore he recently attended...one used but whole...one broken and splintered. Do ya think it may have been a line? Ah well, they are long gone and the tactic didn't work. He was a bad kisser anyway!

Not Translucent Crystals. Ironically, those are pretty opaque. They look a bit like white rice.

Gloss Poly is closer but still no cigar. These are translucent like the polyethylene, but they're blobs instead of slivers.

Sachet beads is one of the correct answers!

Technically this material is ethyl-vinyl acetate copolymer (EVA for short) and it's been used as a candle additive for decades. This brand from DuPont is called Elvax. There are many kinds or Elvax, a few good for candles and most not. I think Elvax 210 is the one typically used.

It's a very useful additive, but not sold as such by the standard suppliers these days, presumably because it's the hardest one to use. However, Doneen or someone discovered that the pretty little beads will suck up gobs of FO and release scent for months, so Elvax is now being sold as aroma beads by BCN as well as DPS Wax. Also, a few wax distributors do sell it as an additive under its real name.

I was originally familiar with the stuff as a wax additive, then I saw a photo of aroma beads and realized what they were. Thought I'd post the info in case it's interesting or useful to anybody.

Top, I should tell you that one of the first gifts my 8th grade BF gave me in 1960 ish was supposedly a set of Jim Morrison's drumsticks from a concert he swore he recently attended...one used but whole...one broken and splintered. Do ya think it may have been a line? Ah well, they are long gone and the tactic didn't work. He was a bad kisser anyway!

w....t....f....

...?

(Oh well--Congrats on being the first person that said something crazy enough for me to finally step outta lurker-mode, at least...!)

:tiptoe:

Cool info Top....so does that mean we can get the Elvax any cheaper than those damn Aroma Beads? LOL!

BCN has a pretty reasonable price, but it's always possible you might find it cheaper now that you know what you're looking for. Or maybe you can save on shipping if you find it closer. For instance here's a distributor in MA http://www.polygonwax.com/additives.html.

BTW this is the stuff they make hot glue out of. Probably there are a few other ingredients in there to adjust the properties, like microcrystalline wax. People used to make homebrew container blends with paraffin, petrolatum and hot glue sticks.

My question about this additive is this. How does it affect mottling? Does it allow mottling to occur or does it kill it so to speak, the way that vybar 103 does.

It kills mottling, just like Vybar, and produces a very opaque finish. You would use it up to maybe 1%. It needs wicking up, but not as much as C-15 does.

As I mentioned, it's not the easiest additive to use. It requires some care and expertise, as the melt point is high and it incorporates slowly. I blend it at about 250 degrees.

There's another EVA product used as a candle additive, called AC 400. Maybe that one is easier. I have to get around to trying it.

w....t....f....

...?

(Oh well--Congrats on being the first person that said something crazy enough for me to finally step outta lurker-mode, at least...!)

:tiptoe:

lmao...that's funny!

Ok Top............um...HOW is this used as an additive? I think I must be missing a huge piece of this puzzle. When I "bake" my beads to make Ornies I bake them at 350 degrees and they still don't melt into a liquid state that could combine with another liquid. Do you simply have chunky beads in the candle? Wait...are we even talking candle additives here?.......God I feel stupid....:shocked2:

exactly what i was thinking erin lea...i have had them (aroma beads) in the oven for almost 15 minutes @350* and they are still very lumpy...i don't see how you could melt the aroma beads to incorporate into wax. they(as a wax aditive)would make gloss poly beads look easy to work with and i hate that crap!

When I "bake" my beads to make Ornies I bake them at 350 degrees and they still don't melt into a liquid state that could combine with another liquid. Do you simply have chunky beads in the candle?

By themselves they get gooey, but they'll dissolve in wax with some patience. Don't try it anywhere near 350 degrees though.

I do Gloss Poly at 225 and Elvax at 250. The latter will still take more time and stirring.

For a larger quantity of wax you would make a more concentrated mixture with a portion of the wax and stir that into the rest of the batch. For one candle you could generally incorporate it into the full amount of wax.

Newbie warning...don't play with this additive unless you have a manageable direct heat source (not a gas burner) and are comfortable with careful temperature control. I will acccept no responsibility for smoke or anything bursting into flames. :)

It kills mottling, just like Vybar, and produces a very opaque finish. You would use it up to maybe 1%. It needs wicking up, but not as much as C-15 does.

As I mentioned, it's not the easiest additive to use. It requires some care and expertise, as the melt point is high and it incorporates slowly. I blend it at about 250 degrees.

There's another EVA product used as a candle additive, called AC 400. Maybe that one is easier. I have to get around to trying it.

I see. Thanks for the info. :smiley2: Was wondering if it may help to incorperate fo into 1343 with reduced or no bleeding. I'm using vybar 343 in my rustics/mottles and am putting in 6% fo (or a bit under) and sometimes the candles tend to bleed or sweat a bit.

exactly what i was thinking erin lea...i have had them (aroma beads) in the oven for almost 15 minutes @350* and they are still very lumpy...i don't see how you could melt the aroma beads to incorporate into wax. they(as a wax aditive)would make gloss poly beads look easy to work with and i hate that crap!

Umm... they're supposed to be lumpy. :whistle:

Actually they hold their shape, you only heat them long enough to make them stick together...

Unless I'M missing something here... which is very possible :laugh2:

Umm... they're supposed to be lumpy. :whistle:

Actually they hold their shape, you only heat them long enough to make them stick together...

Unless I'M missing something here... which is very possible :laugh2:

Some people bake the Ornies until they're smooth with no lumps. The look a little like stained glass in that state. I prefer mine bumpy, but I've definitely made them smoother when I've left them in the oven too long!

Some people bake the Ornies until they're smooth with no lumps. The look a little like stained glass in that state. I prefer mine bumpy, but I've definitely made them smoother when I've left them in the oven too long!

I hope they don't live in a hot area then :shocked2: I made that mistake in the beginning... until the darn thing folded in half and let the hanging string melt right through until it fell off on my cars dash... There was just no structure integrity when melted that much....

Then again, it gets very hot here in the summer :rolleyes2

• 2 months later...