Maybe moving into paraffin, need some suggestions

Hey all - I've been making 100% soy with EZ Soy for over a year now, and I'm just up to HERE with the soy issues like frosting, pale colors, and general fugliness that's been coming out of my workshop.

I'm thinking of maintaining an all-soy line, but also moving into paraffin for some offerings mainly for my (hopefully) wholesale accounts. So, what I need is some information about the best paraffin waxes, and the pros and cons of using straight paraffin or mixing paraffin with EZSoy.

I know there are a ton of faithful J223 users, but I know there are dedicated users of 1945 as well. I was also looking at 6006 - I'm limited to what comes from BCS, because that's where I can pick up most easily. http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/waxes.htm

What I'm trying to attain is, of course, terrific scent throw hot and cold, but also a smooth, creamy appearance with minimal wet spots, and of course, NO FROSTING! Again, if you could recommend a one-pour container wax, that would be awesome. Also, your thoughts on using straight paraffin vs. a soy/paraffin blend. I'm only doing containers.

I started with a paraffin blend, and with all I have read here I don't have the patients to even try soy. All I can say is the people who use it firmly believe in it, and I think that is great. Not only do I not have the patients, but I don't beleive I would have the funds to try. I have mainly stuck with wax from Natures Garden probably for the same reasons you use bcs for your main supplier. Location, location, location. If it helps, I tried the Joy Wax first, but had a few issues with sink holes (containers), so i went with mp123, and I have had great reviews so far. Although I have read that the mp123 is comparable to the J50, i don't believe this to be true for me. But thats me, and of course you know everything is different for everyone. HTH

This wax is a blend, soy (about 20%) and paraffin. I love to use it because it is easy to work with. It has a few problems with sink holes if cooled too fast, but if you cover the containers with a big plastic storage box inverted, it works fine. It colors great and has an excellent scent throw both hot & cold. It is easy to fix with a heat gun. I've used it for 2 years. BC carries it. I also use 223 for some of my scents because it makes a very white candle. The 6006 sometimes turns a little yellow when burning white scents. LOL

6006 - creamy colors, but couldn't achieve bright colors. Throw wasn't that great for me. I also found that it still made a dip in the middle after the 1st pour, probably could be fixed with a heat gun. Fairly easy to work with. It's a veg/para blend, but there is no frosting.

4786 - one of the harder container waxes. Easy to work with, can achieve bright colors, but only had an okay throw. This wax is definitely not a one-pour.

1945/4630 - this wax is very gooey, like vaseline. Good glass adhesion, very creamy appearance....makes a very nice candle. The throw is amazing in this wax!! Only problem is is there are smoking issues. I was using it for a while because the throw was so great, but the smoking was too much for me. This is a true one-pour though.

You're going to get many different answers on what works, but these are just my experiences.

6006 - creamy colors, but couldn't achieve bright colors. Throw wasn't that great for me. I also found that it still made a dip in the middle after the 1st pour, probably could be fixed with a heat gun. Fairly easy to work with. It's a veg/para blend, but there is no frosting.

4786 - one of the harder container waxes. Easy to work with, can achieve bright colors, but only had an okay throw. This wax is definitely not a one-pour.

1945/4630 - this wax is very gooey, like vaseline. Good glass adhesion, very creamy appearance....makes a very nice candle. The throw is amazing in this wax!! Only problem is is there are smoking issues. I was using it for a while because the throw was so great, but the smoking was too much for me. This is a true one-pour though.

You're going to get many different answers on what works, but these are just my experiences.

I mostly agree with all these statements, except the 1945/4630...it's not that gooey! Definitely NOT like the comfort blend (IGI 4627) which is definitely more of a vaseline texture and comes in a bag. I think it's just as soft as J50 or J223, but not overly more so.

That said, I had smoking issue with certain types of wick but have found the HTP to work best for me on the 1945. If it's even slightly over wicked, it will smoke! I also notice some scents are pickier in this wax, especially anything with even a hint of citrus.

I mostly agree with all these statements, except the 1945/4630...it's not that gooey! Definitely NOT like the comfort blend (IGI 4627) which is definitely more of a vaseline texture and comes in a bag. I think it's just as soft as J50 or J223, but not overly more so.

I thought so! lol.. But I haven't tried the comfort blend, J50 or J223 either...

Yep the texture of 1945/4630 is very close to the J223. You know I don't have the smoking problems with this as long as I don't wick too big. I use the zincs wicks and find that any smoking I have had is the same with the J223. The comfort blend was very difficult for me me to work with because it was so soft and the I think I needed to wick up. I had sink holes and not good hot throw (my mistakes most likely, not the wax). I do think it can be picky with some FO's, but not very many in my opinion.

I am using the Comfort Blend and I love it. Hot and cold throw is awesome. It makes a beautiful candle and I have no wetspots ever - and I don't preheat my jars. I have finally found a "base" wick size that will work with most Fos and am testing from there. I have tried J50, which had nice throw but I wasn't too pleased with the colors and the wetspots. Haven't tried J223.

I have used the J223 and I like the easiness of it,,,although sometimes you need to re-pour. It burns good with the low smoke 60 zinc, I use the wide mouth Kerr pint and half pints. Great Hot and Cold throw,,the only issue I have with this wax is the color,,,it is so opaque and creamy that you just dont achieve the dark colors you want,,I have tried,,,other then that its a great wax. I have gone back to the 4786 as I like this wax,,,has great hot/cold throw and sharp colors. JMO:yes:

MP123 is J50. Natures's Garden has that statement in the description of MP123.

I know that is what the description states, and it also says Honeywell J50. I don't know if that is the difference, but like I said IMO, I think there is a distinct difference.

I know that is what the description states, and it also says Honeywell J50. I don't know if that is the difference, but like I said IMO, I think there is a distinct difference.
Astorlite is made by Honeywell Industrial Waxes. The difference can't be all that distinct unless you paid for J-50 and got something else.