I Blew It!

sharyl55

Went to a community craft show / yard sale Sat. Turned out to be mainly yard sale tables but the fee was only $15. They close the streets and everyone in town is out looking. They had a yard sale mentality so sold out of orny car fresheners.

Where I blew it was with my cool collars. I had 4 doz. made up but didn't think to take a bucket of ice water so I could have some presoaked for sale. The temp was in the 90's and it was very humid. I probably could have sold out if I had them ready to wear. Live and learn. Another show this Sat. and I'll be set up to have presoaked cool collars. Just watch. It'll probably cool off and nobody will want one.

Not complaining on the sales. Just a hot miserable day. I had worked so hard on my pumpkins w/hats and only sold 2. I did give out lots of handouts on my Memory candles. Folks seemed interested for Christmas gifts.

Sorry to hear that Sharyl, I hope this weekend goes great for you! A lady that is alwasy beside me at a local craft show takes a styrofoam wig form and sticks a cool collar around its neck, that always gets lots of attention and people asking about it etc. even during the winter.

Atleast you got out there and were seen by some people! You did get some sales! I think the neck coolers are awesome. If you are willing to share, I would love the info on those.

I like Foxhill's sugestion for the collars. You could go to a local beauty school and buy a mannequin head for that. Good idea!!!

I have 2 mannequin heads from friends that went to beauty school. (they have mohawks though! I don't think I would use them to dispplay anything!)

My very first show ever was a community yard sale/craft fair. Like you said, it was all yard sale mentality...everyone wanted things for $1. I sold 2 candles! Even though it's in my neighborhood, I decided not to do it this year because of that!

Congrats on selling out on the ornies though! :)

Thanks for the tip on the styrofoam head. Didn't see glass ones the last time I was at Pier 1. Good idea for next year. Don't think I will find one here on the Eastern Shore. We are lucky to have a Dollar General Store. LOL

I couldn't leave. I was in the middle of the block. After we got set up they closed the street so I couldn't get out. And leaving isn't my thing. Always thinking there will be a good customer in the next group. At least there were lots of people to talk to so I didn't get bored. Gave me a chance to tell them about the next 2 shows I'll be at. I'm not ready for boot and glove weather but long sleeve shirt weather would sure be nice.

Sharyl,

We had our first show of the season 2 weeks ago, and it was billed to US as a "Craft Event"....not hardly! It was a community day, same deal...we had to be there to set up BEFORE 8, then they closed off the street, and the show didn't even start till 10! Went till 4! It was free, still a lot of work, though, and we only made $15! People don't go to Community Fairs to spend $, they go to give their kids a good time and eat!

We had fun laughing at the idea of zipping ourselves up in the tent and taking a nap!:P

Oh well, live and learn...:rolleyes2