test candle flop

I ordered a bunch of 1 oz scent testers from Solas - they smell great out of the bottle by the way - but have failed to get a good test candle from the four that I made.

I used IGI pillar blend 4625. Poured 1/4 lbs at 190 into containers with 1 and 1/2 t. scent and blended as well as possible. I got no cold throw at all and very little after burning for 2-4 hours. There was a good melt pool but not much scent unless I risked serious burns.

I didn't use any dye and the FO seemed to be pretty well incorporated into the wax. In the past I have always made a test candle in the usual way but I was looking for a quicker way to test new scents.

What did I do wrong? How do you guys test your scents? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hmmmm.......Well I just did a test today on a different container. Here's my process:

For a new fragrance I use 2 jars (pint mason) 1 with a 52z and the other with a 62z. I then prepare about 32 oz of CONTAINER wax, heated to the specification, add this to my mixing pot and color and FO (1.5 oz per lb.) Mix it up about 50 stirs, transfer it to my pouring pot, put about 1/4 cu back into my FO measuring cup for top off (there will also be residual FO in the cup), Pour my candles, let them cool completely, trim the wicks, top them off, cool, trim the wicks and burn. 52Z wick, flame too small then it's the 62Z. 52Z fine with a good melt pool, 62Z burning the pool too deep, then it's the 52Z. Throw problems could be the oil (amount or type), the wax, any additives you have put in, or the wicking. I use 4627 wax for all of my containers. Today's issue for me was the container. I already knew that my FO took a 52z wick in the pint jar but, I am now watching a 4" wide bucket with a 62Z in the same FO to see if that will work or if I will have to double wick. Hope this helps..........

Pillars are not going to be the best judge of scent throw. You would be better off testing for scent throw using a container, or even a votive in a small room like a bathroom.

Second you don't go by tablespoons you go by weight. It takes at least 1 oz of fragrance for each pound of wax. So you need a little scale. You can pour wax into a measureing cup and weigh it until you have 1 lb of wax. (You have to weigh your measuring cup first and subtract that weight from the wax. Actually if you buy the right kind of scale and read the instructions it will minus off your container for you.

You do the same for the fragrance. Now where you buy your fragrance makes all the difference in the world. If you picked up something at a hobby shop, then you will for the most part have just wasted your money, as those oils usually suck. Are you using a parafin wax or a soy wax? If you are using a soy way, then you will have to give your candle about a week to cure.

(Means you have to wait a week before you can test for scent throw) This is not true of parafin wax however. So give us more information and we can help you better.

My mistake. I went back and read your post again. Shouldn't be doing this when I'm this tired. You are using Parafin, so no cure situation. And you bought your fo's from Solas. I have not ordered from there, and I know some love them, but many have said that you need to buy the extra streangth in their scents.

But I think the main problem is that you are using a pillar, and not enough scent.

...But I think the main problem is that you are using a pillar, and not enough scent.

I have to agree...but, did you use 1-1/2 teaspoon (tsp) or 1-1/2 tablespoon (T)? You really need to go by weight, but 1-1/2 T would be close to 6%.

Granted that containers often have a better hot throw than pillars, you should be testing the throw for whatever type you plan to make.

Tossing together a container (with container wax) to test for throw if you're planning on making pillars wont help. Different waxes and FOs throw different and the only way to know how you finished candles will throw is by testing the exact wax you plan on using for the finished candles....

I used IGI pillar blend 4625. Poured 1/4 lbs at 190 into containers with 1 and 1/2 t. scent and blended as well as possible. I got no cold throw at all and very little after burning for 2-4 hours. There was a good melt pool but not much scent unless I risked serious burns.

I agree with everyone else, but am a little confused. Did you make a pillar? or did you use pillar wax in a container? Either way, pillar or pillar wax in a container, it isn't going to be as strong as a container made with a container blend. Plus, most recommendations are 1oz per lb of wax. I couldn't tell from your post if that's what your ratio ended up at or not.

Hope you get it figured out. :)

Good luck...

Thanks to all who replied....yes, I did use a pillar (parafin base) blend in containers and I did not weigh the scent, I used 1 and 1/2 teaspoon per 1/4 lbs wax.

What I am understanding is there is no quick and easy way to test anything in candle making! I don't make cantainers so I didn't know you added more scent to the things...anyway, I get the picture. The only way to test is to make a full on 1.5 lbs pillar w/ appropriate wick, color, etc, etc.

Thanks again, I have made notes and will proceed as advised!