Wood wick update

I understand that it's not a necessity like in a container, but what make it more dangerous than using one in a container?

Well, because it poses more of a fire hazard if it's sitting and burning on an arbitrary surface instead of in a glass container. The melted wax is also liable to cause staining and damage if it's not on a holder. It's safer if the pillar extinguishes itself before it gets that far.

Also, in a container the bottom of the tab can be sealed so the candle goes out once the wax level gets past the neck of the sustainer. In a pillar the hole is open and it can really burn to the bitter end.

I just dont think it's safe to have the wood wick unsecured to the bottom of the jar, and the flame gets very high as well as the cinders that pop off of them. To have the wick just fall over at the end seems unsafe to me. I for one am not willing to take the risk.

You have performed a true service, showing us how the wood wick is simply a fad, that will soon pass. Thank you for sharing your test results!

geek :grin2:

I think the wood wicks are purely for esthetics purposes on their part. Of cours the wood is going to soot, its wood there is no guarantee of stability every time. I think I read a while back that you posted Top about sticking a wick in a can of Crisco that it would burn. Well if they did that people would probably catch on to it and buy that too.

Just wanted to share how bad the wood wicks soot

smsoot.jpg

Wow, I have a WW and it hasn't sooted at all? Are you trimming the wick (aka knocking off the charred part) each time you burn? I will post a pic when I get home tonight.

Wow, I have a WW and it hasn't sooted at all? Are you trimming the wick (aka knocking off the charred part) each time you burn? I will post a pic when I get home tonight.

Yes, the wick was kept trimmed. It didn't burn hot either. Just a nice slow burn. I'm thinking it may be the fragrance "Cotton Flower" oil that had something to do with it. It didn't start sooting like this until the candle was half gone. The first half of the burn it smoked a bit but not bad at all.

Have you burned your candle more than half-way yet Bill?

It just about 1/2 way down so I hope I don't start to get a lot of sooting now. Although I really don't care if I do because I just bought that one to see what the big deal was about these. I'll post that picture of it when I get home tonight. Btw, I think the scent was jasmine.

It just about 1/2 way down so I hope I don't start to get a lot of sooting now. Although I really don't care if I do because I just bought that one to see what the big deal was about these. I'll post that picture of it when I get home tonight. Btw, I think the scent was jasmine.

That's why I bought mine too, out of curiousity. I also see that you got the smaller jar. That also could play a big part in how they burn. :wink2: