Lipbalm testing

idacandlelady

I was wondering , when testing lipbalm recipes, do you go ahead and use the lipbalm tubes or do you put them into something else for testing? I am just starting to test and don't want to waste my tubes just for me. I don't mind using them when I get the recipe right and start giving them to friends and family to test. Just wondering what you all do. TIA for any help.

Rebecca

I know when I was playing around, I went to walmart and got some of those containers that you put pills in and used that for just me. You have to use your finger to get it out but it helped me alittle.....just a thought:wink2:

Angied

I test my lip Balm recipes in the tubes from the start. That way I get an idea of how it will hold up under various conditions, ie purse, pocket, washer and/or dryer(not intentionally of course!!!). That way I can tweak it if it is too soft. It has to get through me before I give it to other testers to try.

I use 2 lip balm tubes and if the consistency is NOT what I want then I remove whats in the tube and start a new batch and use the same lip balm tube.

This is very similar to what I do. I'm currently testing tinted lip balms, and like you, didn't want to waste any more tubes than absolutely necessary. So I took one lip balm tube, marked it with permanent marker (bottom and cap) so it wouldn't accidently get mixed in with the several hundred tubes that were spread out on my table waiting to be labeled. Then I twisted the bottom up almost all the way. I had my lip balm melted, and I used a pipette to just barely top it off. Took maybe 1 ml. When it cooled, I ran into the bathroom, tried it on, and checked out if the color was dark enough. Since I was trying tinted I needed a mirror. You'd just need to test it for consistency and graininess, unless you really want to go look at yourself in the mirror! :wink2:

When I discovered that it takes a whole lot more colorant than I ever imagined to get an actual tint to show up on my lips, I just kept retesting with the same tube. I'd roll it down, give myself a little room at the top, and fill it with the next batch. (keeping insanely close notes the entire time!) I only "wasted" one tube, and I had the worlds softest lips by the end of the day!

Thought of something else too.. Wait til summertime to officially sell these that way you can tweak your recipie. It might be perfect in winter, but come summertime it may liquify in the tube and leak all over yours or a customers purse/pocket/whatever.

• 1 month later...

Stacie! Great Idea! I have hundreds of those "tin" tealight cups out in the candle room. I keep pushing them around not knowing what to do with them because I now use the clear one's for my tealights but couldn't bring myself to toss them everytime they got in my way. I'll use them to test my lip balm and then I won't feel guilty when I toss them...at least I used them for something.