Making body butter (w or w'out Cylo/glycerin/cornstarch)??

SoapInTheCity

I have ordered some butters and oils I don't usually use in soap, to make some body butter. Avocodo Oil, Mango Butter, Kokum Butter, and Babassu Oil. I may use one or two of these oils plus shea butter, I'm not going to be selling lots of it....Just maybe for Valentine's, friends and myself.

I want to use Shea Butter, Mango Butter, jojoba, maybe hempseed oil.....

I am torn between to use cylo and/or glyercin or not to? Why do I need them? Or do I? What about the use of cornstarch? What's that all about??

Any help would be great!! :highfive:

I don't care too much for cornstarch in my whipped butters since it is hard to get just the right amount. Too much and you can feel it in the butter. Or at least I can. I also wouldn't put glycerin in it. I don't think it is necessary. Cyclo is a nice addition though.

If you guys are talking about just oils. I made some of Kimberly's whipped shea butter. It asks for just the right amount of cornstarch. No, you do not feel it. I also apply the butter when I just come our of the shower and it blends in beautifully. My sisters who are bath and body snobs loved it. I did use the Kitchen Aid mixer and whipped the butters first then added the oils. Beat it for a couple of minutes. Then let it sit to cool slightly, then beat it some more so that it formed peaks like whipped cream does when you beat it. A lot of people have different methods but it still thick and fluffy in the jars and it has been several weeks.

I was reluctant about the recipe but it keeps my skin softer than the emulsified one I bought through basin.com.

I have ordered some butters and oils I don't usually use in soap, to make some body butter. Avocodo Oil, Mango Butter, Kokum Butter, and Babassu Oil. I may use one or two of these oils plus shea butter, I'm not going to be selling lots of it....Just maybe for Valentine's, friends and myself.

I want to use Shea Butter, Mango Butter, jojoba, maybe hempseed oil.....

I am torn between to use cylo and/or glyercin or not to? Why do I need them? Or do I? What about the use of cornstarch? What's that all about??

Any help would be great!! :highfive:

I made a batch of butter today and didn't use any cyclo or cornstarch, just butter & oils. It came out really nice and looks like it will stay soft & not harden up like when I add cornstarch.

Recipe is 60% butters; Shea & Mango, 40% oils; SAO, Avocado, Coconut & Emu (equal amts) and added a few drops of Vit E.

• 2 months later...

What's the purpose of the veg glycerin though? To improve spreadability?

I was contemplating adding the glycerin because I was thinking of experimenting... since the glycerin can dissolve some water-based extracts, I could maybe add some extracts in glycerin without needing to add water into my whipped butter recipe. Opinions?

EDIT: Aha! Found it on Snowdrift.

• glycerin lends a smooth and creamy texture
  • glycerin and Natrasorb together provide creaminess without greasiness

Can anyone lend some credence to this? :P

I like IPM in mine too. It really helps cut the greasies and is so much better than Dry flo. I also like a bit of Cyclo.

I have batches that I use both IPM and Cyclo and others where there is nothing, but shea butter and a bit of oil. It depends on my customer base and which one they prefer.

Ann M