Lotion Help

Anna

I hope this is posted in the right place.I have been using a lotion base to make my own personal lotion.I only add fo to it.When I wear it I get so many comments on what perfume I have on.I just say it lotion that I make.To say that is so decieving to me,I feel like I am lying.I would like to make lotion from scatch,but I don't know where to begin.I don't know why I am scare to try this.I jumped right into candlemaking,and soap.As far as cost which one is more feasible,the base or from scatch.I read Snowdrift's site,but you would have to be a scientist to understand all there is to know.

Does anyone have a simple reciepe,or some good advise,or should I just do it.:embarasse Thanks

I don't think it's deceptive to say you made it. I've had a number of customers express concern about that exact thing. I make and sell custom lotion bases, and I always tell them go for it! It's a handmade product. All of the ingredients may not have been put together BY them, but they made the lotion their own by adding scent and colorant. I don't think it's deceptive.

As for wanting to make your own, that's awesome! It can be a complicated craft, but fun! It's a science and an art, all on it's own. I wish I had some places to point you to for learning, but I've been making my own for nearly 4 years. Any links I had for basic lotion making were lost when my husband goofed on backing up my bookmarks when we upgraded computers a few years ago.

I will say this however. Please thoroughly research the preservative issue. Lotion making is more of a science than a lot of the other toiletries, IMO. And they need to be carefully and properly preserved or they not only get nasty, they become very dangerous to use. And by the time you see anything growing in them, it's WAY too late. ISP's website has a lot of information about the preservatives that they sell (and they sell a lot of different preservatives). You also could get some good information on preservatives, and also on lotion making from Jen at lotioncrafter.com. But you can put together some of the most amazing and fabulous oils in the world in your lotion, but it won't be any good (and actually would be quite dangerous) if you don't preserve it correctly. Do lots of research, and if you still have questions, feel free to ask me.

Sorry, re-read your post, and caught one last thing in it. Cost wise, once you know what you're doing, and as long as you're able to purchase your ingredients for good prices, it should be cheaper to make your own than to buy a base. But like learning any new product, you're going to be tossing out bad batches. It's ultimately up to you if it's worth the time, effort and cost of learning a new craft, or going with someone who's experienced.

Thank you so much Lindsey,I have been reading on alot of differant sites about making lotion,and the preservatives,how dangerous it can be.I work in food service,and I know how dangerous food can be if not handled right.If I decide to do this,I would test a long time before I would even give it away.You saying it is a science,I believe that!

Anna

I made my first batch of "from scratch, needs a preservative type lotion" the other day. Came out really nice-I had procrastinated forever thinking it was too complicated. Now, if it is going to go bad how soon will this happen? I have left it covered on my counter kind of waiting to see what will happen. Used phenonip, but the amount is so small it was really difficult to measure. I think I overcompensated on the preservative. My scale is supposed to measure tiny amounts but I don't trust it. It doesn't want to register if small amounts are added slowly. (New postal type scale fro Old Will Not), I'm trying to just figure the preservative in a "teaspoon type" measurement now.

Glo

From reading about all the legal stuff to do with bath and body I think you're right in saying it's "your" lotion. As far as the law in most places is, you've altered a productand you're responsible for it, in some areas this is exceptable for selling in others it's illegal to sell altered products.

Gloworm I made my first batch a few months ago, I converted my recipe to grams so I could easily read the small amounts. I've been using my lotion exclusively and I love it, it came out so well. I also have one bottle I marked and put away to stand the test of time, if something starts growing in it all the other bottles get trashed but if after a year it's all good and I don't see anything in my use bottle I'll call it good. (I'm also not planning on selling anytime soon mostly its personal and family use) I made a 20 oz or so batch and it filled to the top 5 4 oz malibus I got in the trial size area at walmart.

Sami

I was always told made from scratch is home made, made from a base is home crafted :undecided

I used BCN base for years. About a year ago I ventured into the world of making my own lotion. I loved it. I made it for about 7 months (3-4 different batches), always trying something new, but basically the same recipe. Everyone loved it, so I was going to start selling it for the busy holiday season. Can you imagine the horror when I opened a jar and saw green mold sitting on it. OMG, you just can't imagine what that does to you. I questioned what I could have done wrong on a few boards. We came to the conclustion that it PROBABLY had something to do with the fact that it was not in a brand new jar. I had cleaned and bleached a jar I had, but I was told I may not have had it totally cleaned. But since I really do not know what caused it I figured it was time to go back to BCN base, which I did. It's very frustrating to have spent so much time reading and educating myself on the proper way to make lotions. Sooooo much to know, all the sterilizing of tools,work space, etc. I never dreamed I'd ever have mold, always used the same preservative, etc. I'm just so thankful that I hadn't sold it yet. I was the only one who found mold in my jar, so I just figure it was meant to be, and that I shouldn't be venturing into that field. Many people make thier own lotion, without any problems, so I know it can be done, it's just the unknown that is so scary. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

If it makes you feel any better.... SOOOO many other companies do the same thing. There are people on this board who do private label wholesale accounts where someone owns a store and wants to sell candles but with their name on it. They are only making it their own by slapping a label on it. At least with a lotion base- it's more the option of what you CAN do to it and what you CHOOSE to do or not do, etc. You could add things that ruin it and you might think it's good, lol. Or you can ride on the laurels of knowing that what ever you did or did not do to it- is what makes it what it is. It's really not that easy to find the right ratio of FO that will last, that will not make you break out, that will mix, etc. AND, it's really not that easy to refrain from experimenting TOO much and adding too many additives as well. It's knowing a good thing when you got it that comes from your knowledge and experience- that in essence is all you. Have you developed a label for it? Even if you don't sell it, you should. This is another way to take ownership and to build on the base product. If someone wants details... just go into a quick vague littany of what it takes to make a bottle of lotion that smells good and lasts, the research of the base with just the right effect you were wanting, (don't forget to mention any failures- like when a lotion didn't work out for you, etc) making sure it has a preservative, the time to test, researching for the bottle that will withstand the oils you wanted to add, finding the right look, figuring out the ratio of fragrance, deciding which labeling program to use, designing it just right... and so on and so on. Odds are they won't let you finish, lol. But you have to approach it as 'oh it's just a bunch of stuff ya gotta do' kind of thing- if that makes sense. Even you will begin to realize that to the average person who has never even considered doing this themselves- there is a lot involved. No, it's not 'hard' per sey. But it doesn't have to be in order to be something you created. Just because it was easy to YOU doesn't mean they wouldn't find it daunting. Remember that and you will feel better about it.

I purchased a lotion base because I thought that making it myself would be too complicated. I didn't sell any because I didn't feel it was mine and one of the things I tell people about my products is that they are all handcrafted by ME and my daughters. So, that gallon of lotion and body cream sat there and I experimented with it adding color and fragrances and eo's and then I started reading about making lotion and body creams and I gathered all the ingredients, sterilized everything in site and rolled up my sleeves tied up my hair and it was playtime!..and before you know it, I had several products I was quite satisfied with. I was so surprised how easy it was. Long story short, I made my own and got rid of any possible guilt associated with slapping a label on and claiming it.LOL I had to research all the ingredients in the base in case anyone asked me about them and that's basically the first step to lotion making so I figured I may as well take it to the next level:D but I also know that it's not something that everyone is interested in. And if your comfy with using a base than by all means do what's best for you and your business. Much success in the New year in whatever you do!:D

I still want to develop my own lotion, but after 60 100g batches haven't gotten the feel that I want. I love making lotion from scratch though - I love making emulsions. Haven't had it tested yet since I want to nail the formula before spending the $.

In the meantime I'm buying 2 bases. I don't even like to scent bases because I'm paranoid I'll contaminate it or not get the scent mixed well enough and so cause some kind of reaction, so I buy them already scented.

When people ask if I "make all this stuff", I say "everything but the lotion - I have a lab make it for me so I can be assured that it's safe for my customers" - and then we start talking about what they should look for when they're buying lotions from someone. I can tell them what the ingredients in my base are for, why they're there, and how long it took me to find a great lotion.