Is making candles for a living worth it??

bugtussle

I am sure I won't get much sympathy because our candle company is doing GREAT! Started 5 years ago sorta by accident. We have grown from -0- annual sales to $60,000 this year. I love my work and love my candles, BUT am really thinking things through for 2007. I have tried not to raise prices as everything has gone up, ie wax (223 from .77/# to 1.07), UPS increasing everytime I order. It seems like the candle supply companies are doing GREAT and just passing increases on to us. It is harder for us to pass it on. Which just means we make less & less for more work. About 40% of our business is wholesale to retail stores. I risk losing their business if I raise prices. (It has never seemed fair that they make more on my candles than I do.) Internet business is OK, and I am sure we will kill ourselves again doing fundraisers. We open our shop to the public 1 day a month, and do pretty good.

Positives, we are sharing the "American dream;" we know God has blessed us. We have created a unique product that is all ours. We live, eat, sleep and breathe candles, working so hard that we have time for nothing else. Can someone please tell us it is all worth it????? Carole

Hello Carole,

My advice to you is if you continue to enjoy your craft and business keep it up. I long to be in your shoes; however, I understand the complexitities of business managment, margins, and customer retention.

We started our company this past year and deisre to use our company in order to provide jobs for the marginalized in our community and offset world hunger. While we did not "profit" this year, our desire is to be a profitable organization so that we can fulfill our vision, mission, and purpose.

Keep up the good work. Any advice you can offer on how you grew your organization would be helpful. Abit about us: http://www.ardencandle.com/about_us.html

Keep it up. Please feel free to comment and offer your advice. feel free to e-mail me via this forum or at jason@ardencandle.com

Shalom,

Jason Bonnicksen

We're fighting about increases too, but bottom line is ... it's all going up. The other half disagrees, so I figure the other half can get a real good idea when the candles start coming out unscented and cut down to puny size, because we can't keep eating the increases.

And get ready, because the shipping companies are getting ready to increase their rates, so we're gonna get hit again. I know I read that UPS is going up and everyone else tends to follow.

I think, that if you really, really have to ask that question, you already know the answer.

wow....sometimes people just need a little encouragement or support....there are times that I've wanted to throw in the towel and I'm just in the R & D phase....thankfully God has blessed me with a wife who does encourage me and support me and keeps me going. Sometimes a little reassurance to keep going and not give up is what we need!

Forgive me if I read your post with the wrong tone...sounded a but grumpy! :P

I think you did read it wrong. Take it with a positive note, as it was intended.

It meant, if you care enough to think through each and every one of the little details, every bend and turn, every hill and valley and how it effects everyone involved, like she has done, then you do really care about what you do.

I am Grumpy. Don't forget it. ;)

I think you did read it wrong. Take it with a positive note, as it was intended.

It meant, if you care enough to think through each and every one of the little details, every bend and turn, every hill and valley and how it effects everyone involved, like she has done, then you do really care about what you do.

I am Grumpy. Don't forget it. ;)

I'm truly sorry then...I understand what you meant since you explained it...sometimes I have to have things spelled out for me.

Sorry that you're Grumpy....would like to see you be Happy! :highfive:

Sounds like you're coming down off of the glow of a business growth spurt from the last 5 years :) and into the "keeping it up burnout phase". It's good that you're really looking into what you can do for the future, and what's important to you.

I know *so* many people who've closed up business, retail store, whatever, right about where you're at - it's just taken the stuffing out of them so to speak. Having your own business is like that - you *do* eat sleep dream them.

What would you do instead? Sometimes looking at the real alternatives will give you more perspective.

I once was asked when trying to decide on what I wanted to do with my life...stick with the job I had, go after my music career, or what not...I was asked, what do you enjoy doing so much that you'd do it even if you did not receive a paycheck for it?

If you enjoy making candles so much that you'd make them and give them away for free, just to be making them........

Since God has blessed you as you say, then continue to seek Him...asking for wisdom, guidance, and a clear path so that His will would be completed in your life. Pray that if it's not candles, that he would show you a different way and bring the business to a close.....and that candles are what He wants you to be doing, ask Him to continue to grow the business, making it fruitful, and give you a fresh filling of His spirit to continue persevering. Maybe ask Him how you can us the business to bring glory and honor to Him? How you can use your business to help further His Kingdom?

Those are all of the questions I have prayed over and over and continue to pray each week as I struggle through the R & D phase.

Best wishes and God bless!

Thank all of you for your great words of encouragement. It brought real tears to my eyes. I guess I am in the "keeping it up burnout phase". I can't let the business go after working so hard. I love making candles and I would give them all away if I could afford it. I think we will increase our wholesale price a little to offset the wax and frt increases. Maybe take it easy for a while. Thank you, Carole

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. I have thought long and hard the past few months in wondering if I want to continue this as a business or just give it up knowing that I can get my candles and bath and body from many people on this board to satisfy my needs. It's another thing I will be thinking long and hard about for the next 6 months. I have done some soul searching. Just haven't made up my mind. I enjoy what I do. I love what I do but it's so damn expensive. LOL I don't have the customer base like many here do . I just like to spend $$$ and play. Not a good thing.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic.. Just go with your heart. I wish I was making $ 60 K a year doing what I love.

Christina

You are living the American dream, and not everyone can do that. You are doing something you love, and earning a decent amount of money doing it. Sounds like a long needed vacation is in the cards for you. I am lucky that I love my full time job, but I do get burnout. The man I work for is taking a sabbatical, and while it seems crazy to take 6 weeks away from your job, sometimes you need the ability to refocus.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. You will do the right thing.

My wife and I each work over fifty hours a week and love it. We are retired and are both blessed to be able to do what we both love - together. Our business is a godsend for our marriage. And it pays the bills. Like you, we get down when sales are down and costs are up, but since our father owns all of the cattle on a thousand hills, we don't worry about the small stuff. Wish I could give you more encouraging words, but if you truly love what you do, don't stop.

Carole,

If I may add....I've seen your site, I've seen your work and I can tell there's a lot of pride and care that goes into your candle making. My first thought is that if it's something you love, don't give it up. If you don't make as much as you did before, so be it....IF you don't really NEED that 60K figure. I have a lot of respect for some people here that truly are GOOD at their craft...YOU are one of them. So, my second thought is that I'd hate to see a good product become unavailable just because the profit potential wasn't quite as large as before. Also, I'll bet you COULD raise your prices a wee and you wouldn't lose business. :wink2:

I've only just begun to fall in love with making candles and selling them is something that I'll probably do on the side one day. I figured, at this point, I could make about $15/hour profit making 8oz candles....or I can make $65/hour doing the website work I've done for nine years now (and I'm so burned out!). I can't even BEGIN to consider diving face first into a candle business and I admire that you have. I hope you don't throw in the towel.

Just my:2cents:

we all hate that the prices are going up:undecided it makes it harder to sell our candles but when our prices go up to make the candles its hard not to raise the prices of our product, truth is if you have customers that love your product they will still buy your candles, and wholesale accouts will have to understand that or they can find someone else who will most likely charge them the same price for as good or not as good a product, they may act like they wont keep your line but there customers who buy your product wouldnt like that and that will hurt their business, you cant make both sides happy, you must look at what is good for your business and ultimatly you. perhaps there are more avenues of expanding to increase profit a little more where you could hire employees to help with the workload so you can enjoy your time more, or possibly have more time to find more business to increase your profit margin, maybe talk with a business consultant, they see something you dont and help all togather, I hope that any of this helps and you find your way. good luck and god bless!

I am at the starting phase of my business. I actually haven't started yet. I like candles and would love to learn to make them. I have been researching for weeks. I just want to start a litte shop and I am not sure where to start. I have my start up kit and ready to make candles, but how do I advertise this. How do I start! I am doing it out of my home for now. I know a business struggles the first year, or at least that is what I have heard and read. But what do i do now?:undecided

Remember "be careful what you wish (pray) for, it could just happen."

bugtussle - I totally agree with you on that. When I retired this July I prayed the same thing! Seems like I have been in overload ever since and I continue to give thanks for that, even when I complain. I said the Good Lords knows I am just tired!!

I have a shop built on to my house, so I never leave my job. My DH thinks he just has a cook around and that is about it!!!

Good luck - we all need a little rest after the Christmas Holidays!!

Bugtussle you sound like you have been truely blessed. You are where many would like to be. I know my wife would. She loves making gel candles and is just in the beginning stages of opening her own business. Feb. will be our opening date. She does pretty much all the work and she lets me do the designing and supervising...lol.

Her goal is to be able to get away from the job she works full time and put all her effort into making candles and operating her own business. But we are taking it one small step at a time.

I would say as long as you are doing something you love, and are paying the bills...stay with it. There is nothing more satisfying than working for yourself in your own business and especially watching it grow...as yours has.

Good luck in the future and may God bless

Bill and Donna

Jacksonville Fla

Maybe it's time to revisit what first got you into making candles, and all the feelings you had before you started selling. Remember how you were wishing that you would get sales and people would like your product? Sounds like its just been getting better over the years for you. Don't let prices get you down. It's a normal part of the economy, inflation happens, but then it goes down. It's got to have ups and downs, just like life! Hang in there, but ultimately do what you need to do. Sometimes our goals change, maybe this isn't what you want anymore... maybe time for something else? Maybe not, only you can decided, whatever you do, best of luck always!

Edited for spelling

You know, I've heard turning a passion into a profession kills the romance. Maybe the honeymoon phase of the business is over, but now you get to decide if you are really commited to this "relationship".

Good luck to you. I sincerely hope things work out for you and your business.

Positives, we are sharing the "American dream;" we know God has blessed us. We have created a unique product that is all ours. We live, eat, sleep and breathe candles, working so hard that we have time for nothing else. Can someone please tell us it is all worth it????? Carole

Carole,

I am by far not a expert on Business experience. I am very happy for you that you are successful.:thumbsup:

Although I can't hear your voice but I sense the answer is in your comment above.

We all get pushed to perform that we forget the most important thing Ourselvers and time with family and friends.

After all we can only pour into others and work so long until our own pitcher reserve is low......low energy, low drive, low you name it

Take time for yourself and refuel.... LOL

I am not talking about weeks but just even one day with family , friends, or yourself and go out.............. what is your favorite thing to do to unwind...

This works for me and I hope you find your encouragement once again and guard it.

There is one thing I am trying to keep for myself and that is

I work the business not the business working me.

I want to enjoy every minute with projects, with people and I hope to keep it that way..

Best Regards to you :yes: You have done so well don't loose yourself

Brooke

There is one thing I am trying to keep for myself and that is

I work the business not the business working me.

That is so true.. ;) I find myself letting the biz run me sometimes...

Then I have to remember why I started this to begin with..

Which is... To be home with my kids.

So I TRY to quit working when they get home from school and spend the time with them...