What would you do???

BizzyBs

I had a woman contact me from an online magazine early this morning, requesting full size products to be sent to her for free, so that she could review them. I am a small, home-based business and proceeded to email her back saying that I did not usually send out free samples (or products), but would maybe consider it if she agreed to pay shipping. I just received her reply and it said that she could not pay for shipping and therefore her loyal readers would miss out on finding out about my products and she closed with..."thanks anyway".

I really don't know what to do from here. What do you all think??

I would post a link to her online magazine...but, don't know if I'm suppose to post it here.

I would love all of your advice... TIA! :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a something-for-nothing scam to me.

While it could expose you to a market that you otherwise would not have access to, a person who openly solicits you and then refuses to meet you halfway is just looking to stock her shelves in her opinion. If you had contacted her about testing your products for a possible review, I could understand her point-- however you didn't. If you can't afford to send her full size samples, then don't.

Don't beg or compromise for exposure. And don't be pressured into it either-- how free is it if you have to give over full size samples and pay shipping (since this is what bothers you)?

After I'd tell her to kiss me where the good Lord split me, I'd probably send her an email like so:

Dear Cheapskate (or real name),

I apologize that we could not come to an amenable agreement regarding your testing and review of my products for your publication. I would be more than happy to send you generous sized testers that would accommodate your desire to try my products. The testers are of course samples, but plentiful sizes of product, that will invite you to a full experience of the of my pampering spa line.

Another option I have is to send you a full size tester of one product and I will pick up the shipping. Although it is only one item, it would give you the opportunity to try the product a few more times than the testers.

Your solicitation (call a spade a spade!) to review our products is most welcomed. However, to send you full-sized products at no cost in addition to our payment of shipping is too much of a risk for our business at this time when you cannot guarantee a review in your publication. The aforementioned options are set in place for our Beauty Review Program. If these are not amenable to you, I do apologize and wish you much success with your publication. (give her two options. Now she will have to piss or get off the pot. You work for you, not for her. And your business certainly doesn't revolve around her or her publication)

Should you wish to work with us under one of the above conditions, I look forward to hearing from you again. If not, please feel free to peruse our site and make a purchase to experience what our customers call the best __________________________ on the market! (Let's her know that whether she accepts it or not, the world still turns, the sky is still blue and your mama still loves you, and you can and will move on without her; back to business as usual)

Signed,

You.

If you use any of that, be sure to take out the bold stuff LOL. Be firm--this is your business. If you give any semblance of being a meely-mouthed pushover she will talk you out of hundreds of dollars in product and you'll find yourself screwed.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

OMG...that is the best damn answer I have ever gotten to a question! :)

I am in love with your reply letter and think that I will forward it to her (minus the bold LOL). I usually can come up with great stuff to put someone into their place...BUT never something as good as that...YOU ROCK!

Thanks...

You know...I just re-read her reply and it is worse than I thought. Here is what she wrote:

Thanks for the email. We cannot guarantee a review on the website. That's just not how we operate. If we did that then we would pretty much be like every other magazine out there. Like you, we don't make much money on the site, that is not our goal. We enjoy what we do and especially turning our loyal readers onto new and cool products. With that said, we are not able to pay for shipping costs, so I guess we won't be able to try your items.

Thanks anyway!

Best,

~Cybele

Did you read the part about "like you, we don't make much money on the site"...I didn't catch that before. How does this woman know how much I make on my site? I only told her that I was a small home-based business...I didn't say that I didn't make any money (much to the contrary). OOOHHHH...now I'm steamin'!

Off to send your letter...he-he

LMAO @ Indescent!~! You got it girlie... tell it like it REALLY is!! :yay:

This woman is just looking for freebies. Plain and simple. I cannot believe the nerve of people. She doesn't make any money off her site? Yeah baby, when pigs fly. Get the hell over yourself. This is freakin America.... Hello?

Stick to your guns Bizzy. Its YOUR business and YOU will control how and where you want to gain exposure. People like this irritate the living sh*t out of me! She needs a swift kick in a big way.

Okay, who else besides me needs Indescent to move in with them?.....LOL. That was the best letter. If I had you with me at all times I could tell people off and they wouldn't even know it before we walked away. I love the part to "kiss me where the good lord split me". It really cracked me up...really no pun intended!

LOL you got it guys!

The Lay-You-Out World tour is coming to a city near you!

(I will need 10lbs of full sized product and travel and accommodations) LOL!!

You just have to stop people in their tracks. I can't stand it for someone to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. What really got me going about this chick's letter is that she acted like she was doing Biz a favor by putting her in her newsletter. Gimme a break! Which one is it-- you want my products to review for your successful magazine but when I say you would have pay (of all things, shipping-- what's that, $3.85 to $7.70?), all of a sudden your successful e-zine is Chapter 13 status.

Get a dog. Name it life, so you'll have one.

All that Who-Shot-John is ridiculous! Then she tried to get smart about it-- "Oh you don't want to let me scam you out of a whole line of products? Fine! My six readers won't know about your products then!"

Sounds like a something-for-nothing scam to me.

While it could expose you to a market that you otherwise would not have access to, a person who openly solicits you and then refuses to meet you halfway is just looking to stock her shelves in her opinion. If you had contacted her about testing your products for a possible review, I could understand her point-- however you didn't. If you can't afford to send her full size samples, then don't.

Don't beg or compromise for exposure. And don't be pressured into it either-- how free is it if you have to give over full size samples and pay shipping (since this is what bothers you)?

After I'd tell her to kiss me where the good Lord split me, I'd probably send her an email like so:

Dear Cheapskate (or real name),

I apologize that we could not come to an amenable agreement regarding your testing and review of my products for your publication. I would be more than happy to send you generous sized testers that would accommodate your desire to try my products. The testers are of course samples, but plentiful sizes of product, that will invite you to a full experience of the of my pampering spa line.

Another option I have is to send you a full size tester of one product and I will pick up the shipping. Although it is only one item, it would give you the opportunity to try the product a few more times than the testers.

Your solicitation (call a spade a spade!) to review our products is most welcomed. However, to send you full-sized products at no cost in addition to our payment of shipping is too much of a risk for our business at this time when you cannot guarantee a review in your publication. The aforementioned options are set in place for our Beauty Review Program. If these are not amenable to you, I do apologize and wish you much success with your publication. (give her two options. Now she will have to piss or get off the pot. You work for you, not for her. And your business certainly doesn't revolve around her or her publication)

Should you wish to work with us under one of the above conditions, I look forward to hearing from you again. If not, please feel free to peruse our site and make a purchase to experience what our customers call the best __________________________ on the market! (Let's her know that whether she accepts it or not, the world still turns, the sky is still blue and your mama still loves you, and you can and will move on without her; back to business as usual)

Signed,

You.

If you use any of that, be sure to take out the bold stuff LOL. Be firm--this is your business. If you give any semblance of being a meely-mouthed pushover she will talk you out of hundreds of dollars in product and you'll find yourself screwed.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Well said, and I fully agree with you!:yay: :highfive:

Wow, I can't believe that the Bizzee Bee (can't remember the name of her company) candle company posted our conversation here!! Wow is all I can say. First of all, we are a legit magazine (www.cybelesays.com) and have been publishing since 2001. If she would have clicked on the link that I put int he email, she would have seen the latest September issue and the archives section. We review beauty products and candles and a new issue goes up on the 1st of every month.

I have never had a dialog with a person such as her. I work with over 500 different beauty companies - big (Lancome Stila) and small and they all had no problem with us requesting product from them. If they can't afford it at that time, that's fine!! Hopefully someday when they can they will think of us when they are ready to market and publicize their items. So for you all to say that I was "trying to scam" her out of product because I would not pay for shipping is obsurd. I generate money from the site and I chose to PAY MY WRITERS for their hard work. I see she didn't tell you that part of my email, did she? If a company will not even pick up the shipping cost to send us their products, I think that is not right. We are the ones giving them publicity for their line. We have a loyal readership that we have worked hard to build up.

I find it so funny that this woman didn't even write the emails she sent to me!! She used words from someone else here on this forum!! I find that so hilarious.

Anyway, I'm not mad about it. I find it funny that she can't even come up with her own responses. Btw, I thought she wrote quite elequently but obviously I need to direct that to the person here on this forum who actually wrote it FOR her. So funny!!!

So everything that she wrote of her so called "knowledge" of how the beauty industry works is a load of sh*t. She has no idea how much product beauty editors/writers receive on a daily basis. And go and purchase stuff under cover and then write about it? Maybe 3% of the time. But they have time and mag people do not get paid a lot either unless you are high up in the ranks. How does she explain a feature that comes out on products before they've even hit the shelves to be available to consumers?? That's what the majority of beauty magazine are about - what's happening now.

Anyway, I'd love to hear feedback from any of you to MY SIDE OF THE STORY. So type away!

~Cybele

Cybelesays.com

Editor/Founder

Well, here's what I find funny... supposedly credible business people who have a knack for making themselves look ignorant. You have done a fine job of it though. My opinion of your company hasn't changed much since I formed it in the reading of this saga between you and Bizzy (whos company name you had no problem remembering when you emailed her to solicit her products) it appears as though you are just another blowhard wannabe who has too much time on her hands.

So here you are..wanting us to believe that you are reputable, classy and worthy of our time. I believe I would give more credibility to a third grader writing a class newsletter than I would to you and your company. You have successfully made yourself look ridiculous. If I were one of your "writers" I would be embarrassed to work for you.

I always want to learn more about candles. She brought the issue into this forum. Don't you think I should be able to voice my side? She did "Bash" my business. I should post the actual emails (she used words like "neophytes" and "flegling") here so you can see how honest she is in what she told you all here. I'd rethink the whole thing. After all, there are 3 sides to every story.

I just wanted to be able to voice my opinion on the subject. Isn't that aloud?

Wow, I can't believe that the Bizzee Bee (can't remember the name of her company) candle company posted our conversation here!! Wow is all I can say. First of all, we are a legit magazine (www.cybelesays.com) and have been publishing since 2001. If she would have clicked on the link that I put int he email, she would have seen the latest September issue and the archives section. We review beauty products and candles and a new issue goes up on the 1st of every month. She went and so did a few of us

I have never had a dialog with a person such as her. What is meant by this?

I work with over 500 different beauty companies - big (Lancome Stila) and small and they all had no problem with us requesting product from them. Goodie goodie for you!!

If they can't afford it at that time, that's fine!! Hopefully someday when they can they will think of us when they are ready to market and publicize their items. So for you all to say that I was "trying to scam" her out of product because I would not pay for shipping is obsurd. I generate money from the site and I chose to PAY MY WRITERS for their hard work. I see she didn't tell you that part of my email, did she? If you can read...she did

If a company will not even pick up the shipping cost to send us their products, I think that is not right. We are the ones giving them publicity for their line. We have a loyal readership that we have worked hard to build up.

I find it so funny that this woman didn't even write the emails she sent to me!! She used words from someone else here on this forum!! I find that so hilarious. What is funny is that you still sound like a scam artist. :P

Anyway, I'm not mad about it. You shouldn't be. Everyone is not going to love your company and what you do. So what!

I find it funny that she can't even come up with her own responses. Btw, I thought she wrote quite elequently but obviously I need to direct that to the person here on this forum who actually wrote it FOR her. So funny!!! Not funny. I bet had she taken the time to write back herself, it would have been along the same lines.

So everything that she wrote of her so called "knowledge" of how the beauty industry works is a load of sh*t. She knows now by being educated by other quality members of this board

She has no idea how much product beauty editors/writers receive on a daily basis. And go and purchase stuff under cover and then write about it? Maybe 3% of the time. But they have time and mag people do not get paid a lot either unless you are high up in the ranks. How does she explain a feature that comes out on products before they've even hit the shelves to be available to consumers?? That's what the majority of beauty magazine are about - what's happening now. Well I ran a hip hop mag out of my house for 2 years...and when we did reviews, we didn't ask for handouts, we purchased what we wanted to review within reason.

Anyway, I'd love to hear feedback from any of you to MY SIDE OF THE STORY. So type away! Blah Blah Blah

~Cybele

Cybelesays.com

Editor/Founder

:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: ..............