Can you make lip balm without beeswax?

momof4kids

If you use other cosmetic wax and hard butters then yes. You won't have a super hard balm, but it can be done. I've tweeked mine and use very little beeswax and luv how soft the balm is. I don't like balms that are super hard, it leaves a waxy feeling on my lips, I like when the balm melts on contact-it requires less effort to apply.

Other cosmetic waxes, such as candelilla wax, would most likely have to be purchased online, just like beeswax. If you make it without the wax, you could use a hard butter like cocoa butter. You may also want to consider putting in in a jar instead of a tube, so that a softer consistency would not matter.

I use cosmetic grade soy wax in my lip balm. I love the silky feel of it. It doesn't have the waxy feel that many other waxes have.

If you want something for added hardness, you can use Carnauba wax flakes.

**Edited to add: I purchase many of my oils, hard butters and waxes at MMS: http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html Not only are their products and service great, there is great information about each product including its sap value (for soap) and its melting point.

Donna

As you've read from the others, yes, you can make lip balm without beeswax. I just wanted to toss in one other experience I had with lip balms when I first started making them. I bought a block of beeswax from Michaels, and used it to make lip balms. And my lip balms were gritty. I was told by others it was most likely the shea butter causing the problem. I tried again, this time with no hard butters (nothing that could accidentally grain on me like that), and it was still gritty. It was the beeswax. It wasn't the highest quality (I'm not saying yours won't be, just that mine wasn't), and somehow caused tiny bits of grit to form in my balm.

I now make lip balms by the thousands (I have a huge international wholesale account), and I still make them using refined white beeswax. I toyed with switching to soy, but kept telling myself, "don't fix what ain't broke!" There are non-beeswax options, but you'd have a lot harder time finding them locally than you would beeswax. I have some soy wax if you're interested in trying some.

Thanks for everyones help!!

I put in an order at MMS a couple of days ago and went with the Soy Wax instead of beeswax. I bought a few pots and tubes so I can try both. Now we will have to see if I can actually make something out of the things I bought!:D

Thanks again to everyone!