Top 5 Scents

I am about to place my first order for candle making supplies. I am planning to make 100 8 OZ candles. I would like to know, what in you opinion and based on sales are you top 5 selling scents. I would also like to know what you would price an 8 OZ candle in glass jars with metal lids. I will not charge tax on them so the tax would be included. I was thinking about six dollars which is the price that my only competitor charges. The scents that i have chosen are Fruit Slices

Mango Mandarin

Lick Me All Over

Cucumber Melon

Georgia Peach.

I have not placed the order yet so please, tell me your opinion on what i should order. Thanks

I am about to place my first order for candle making supplies. I am planning to make 100 8 OZ candles. I would like to know, what in you opinion and based on sales are you top 5 selling scents. I would also like to know what you would price an 8 OZ candle in glass jars with metal lids. I will not charge tax on them so the tax would be included. I was thinking about six dollars which is the price that my only competitor charges. The scents that i have chosen are Fruit Slices

Mango Mandarin

Lick Me All Over

Cucumber Melon

Georgia Peach.

I have not placed the order yet so please, tell me your opinion on what i should order. Thanks

First off, since you haven't even started making them, you shouldn't be asking pricing to sell them. Why don't you slow down to like 5 mph, read , learn , practice, test , test test and then come back and ask about pricing.

Please take it slowly. Candle making is not as easy as it sounds. You must test every fragrance in your wax & jar to make sure you are using correct fragrance load and wick size to create a SAFE, quality product. You will not be much competition to your competitor if you are selling a sub-standard, untested product, and burn someone's house down in the process...which truly HAS HAPPENED to someone I know.

I agree with the other posters about sloooooowing down.

As a side note, you seem to have all fruity scents picked out, there are lots of people who don't like fruity...

Also, what my top 5 sellers are doesn't mean they will be good sellers where you live.

Last, to figure your selling price, you're going to need to know your costs first. You can't just pick a price to sell at because it sounds good.

I realize it's fun and exciting to start something new, but slow down and take the time to do it right.

I am just getting started at this also. I highly recomend as does everyone else that you DO NOT make that big of an order right away. Try to order some scent samples that you can try out. There are a ton of variables that change for every candlemaker. My big issue right now is finding the right wick. Some scents will have a great cold throw but not a good hot throw. The last thing you want is to order a bunch of supplies that you can't use because of one reason or another.

I don't want to discourage you but take your time reading all the posts on this site. I have been researching this for about 4-5 months now and have been testing for about 2 months. Visit other sites and read some candle making tips. Get a book on candlemaking too. They have ones dedicated to the craft and to the business. Right now I am reading Candlemaking for Fun and Profit.

It can be a great hobby and business but it can also become very expensive if you just start ordering materials without testing their effectiveness. Don't rush things and have a great time learning a new craft!

Guys, i truly understand the slow down part. But i would like to add that i have done more research than most candle making companies have, literally months of research. I have also tested the scent loads and all of that stuff. I truly beleive that i am ready to begin making candles. I figure it cost me about 2.50 a candle so 6.00 sounds great to me. I would really like to know your opinions on this and the scents even though you all think Im going to fast. I this my first order but what i mean is my first order to make and sell. Thank you all for your concern though.

True, True. I did know what exactly a flashpoint was but from that its kind of hadr to find info on the flash point and thinking about making candles professionally drove me to find out for safety reasons. I had emailed people but never got a reply. I knew the part about it bursting to flames at that point but again, i wanted to be sure.

Unfortunately, what sells for me won't sell for you unless we are in the same town. Even then, it depends on your customer base. I can't sell a food scent here to save my life, but they'll buy florals and spa scents all day long.

You're really just going to have to find out by trial and error like most of us have to do, or pry it from your competitor. ;)

Your actual cost and perceived value in your local economy will dictate the pricing in your area. Do some shopping around locally to get a grasp on it.

That being said, good luck, etc, etc.

Southernscents, I just don't think you're ready right now. You seem to be jumping the gun a bit. You said your first candle supply order??????? That means you never purchased them before or maybe I just misunderstood the statement. Also, you said you burn them beside your competitors, so how can you test the scent throw? How about making a few candles and give them away to family and friends and see what they say, they can be great testers. They can tell you the good bad and the ugly. I wish you well on your adventure but slow down, breath and enjoy the hard work.

True, True. I did know what exactly a flashpoint was but from that its kind of hadr to find info on the flash point and thinking about making candles professionally drove me to find out for safety reasons. I had emailed people but never got a reply. I knew the part about it bursting to flames at that point but again, i wanted to be sure.

No offense, but it doesn't really sound like you're ready to sell. If you were, you'd probably already have the answers to your questions re: pricing, scents, flash points, etc.

I've been making candles for about 3 months now. The more I test, the more I realize I am nowhere near ready to sell, even though I'd sure like to be. Of course, everyone is different. But I DO KNOW the answers to the questions you've ask. And still I'm not anywhere near ready.

Take everyone's advice and slow down. :D

Grumpy Girl is right. I have sold candles all over the country and different cities buy different kinds and scents......if we knew why we would all be rich. Do a little testing in your area too.....so you don't waste money. You will see what sells and then make more of those....some colors sell better than others too. Sometimes I am so surprised that the candles that I don't like are the ones that sell the best. People always asked me why I was selling sea shell candles in central Virginia.....well.....I guess it is the same reason they bought them in Idaho....people like sea shells. Even if you rename some scents to go with your location that can make a difference....i.e......if you live in Georgia....name it Georgia Peach...can make a huge difference. Post some pictures of what you are doing. Good luck. Donita

I think it would take me at least a year to be ready to sell, and I have no intention of doing that. I use soy though, and I think there is more testing with those. If her candles smell as good as competitors already, she is lucky at such an early stage. I suppose it is possible to make a good quality candle from the start by reading the message boards. Everything you need to know is somewhere on the boards. But I wouldn't think of selling a candle that I did not test the wicking in each batch of wax and FO I ordered. Noone wants to buy a candle that burns too fast or not completely. Since I give them as gifts, I don't mind a little hang up on one side, I have bought candles that had more. My candles smell great, burn good and I am having fun making them.

I can't remember when my first post was...maybe a month ago? I've been testing daily and read, read, read as much as I can. I'm sooooo far from even giving away product! lol

Ughhh...drives me nuts and has taught me something valuable: Candlemaking is truly an art and I have so much respect for all of you whom have been doing this for a year, two years and more. I'm hoping someday to get there...one teeny, tiny step at a time. :P

Suzy

Guys, Im gonna be honest with you all, this is one of my first post ever on any site and I am appauled by the attitude and way I am being treated. Just because some of you do not beleive I could have gotten all of my variable under control in less time than you does NOT mean I have not! It seems that most everyone thinks I am some big liar. I truly have worked at this and beleive I am ready and I am going ahead with it. I buy all of my candle making supplies except for the containers at gelluminations. I am using their opaque container wax with vybar added, their 6 incotton wicks and my jars are 9 OZ hex jars from specialtybottle.com. As soon as I have taken pictures I WILL post them to help the people who think I am lying change their mind

Mango Mandarin

Lick Me All Over

Cucumber Melon

Georgia Peach.

Southern- you need to reread this post that YOU POSTED. Now, if you have been doing this for a while, then why would it say placing your FIRST ORDER? We can only view and talk to you according to YOUR WORDS! So before you go thinking we are all being bullies and jumping ya, go back and read what you type.

I don't recall anyone saying you are a liar, but your posts aren't accurately reflecting what you are attempting to ask. You say in your first post you are placing your first candle supply order, then you say you have a competing candle maker, then you state you've been testing and doing more research than the major companies. (What have you learned in this research?) This is why people are confused by what you write, and it clearly indicates you are beginning in this craft. I think you will understand that people here are not trying to give you crap, they are sincerely trying to help you. What does a candle maker on the other side of the U.S. care about your candles? They don't. But take the advice you are given as constructive criticism. If you didn't want input and were going to do your own thing, why come on a public forum? Candles scents tend to run seasonally in my area. Some areas of the U.S. can sell a 8 ounce candle for $6.00 some $12.00. The business aspect of making a profit requires more attention to what is specific to YOUR market, not mine or someone elses. If you are satisfied with how your candles perform and you have built your business legally (obtaining licenses, etc.), then knock yourself out!

Southern- you need to reread this post that YOU POSTED. Now, if you have been doing this for a while, then why would it say placing your FIRST ORDER? We can only view and talk to you according to YOUR WORDS! So before you go thinking we are all being bullies and jumping ya, go back and read what you type.

Girlie...we were definitely thinking the same thing, you just typed it faster!

Guys, Im gonna be honest with you all, this is one of my first post ever on any site and I am appauled by the attitude and way I am being treated. Just because some of you do not beleive I could have gotten all of my variable under control in less time than you does NOT mean I have not! It seems that most everyone thinks I am some big liar. I truly have worked at this and beleive I am ready and I am going ahead with it. I buy all of my candle making supplies except for the containers at gelluminations. I am using their opaque container wax with vybar added, their 6 incotton wicks and my jars are 9 OZ hex jars from specialtybottle.com. As soon as I have taken pictures I WILL post them to help the people who think I am lying change their mind

I don't believe anybody called you a liar. We said, slow down. Poorly made handcrafted candles give all handcrafted candles a bad name.

I've had people not want to buy because of their experiences with other "handmade candles". Take the time to do it right, or don't do it at all.

A "6in cotton wick" tells me nothing either, except the length. What SIZE wick is it, how much FO are using, how did your testers burn? It sounded to me like you have not actually MADE a candle, much less tested one, and should not be thinking about SELLING them.

I guess I should hope that I'm the competitor you referred to as you would be no competition to my business.

BTW, don't forget insurance.