Has it finally come down to this?

sockmonkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a quick look at the zoovy site, it appears that the BuySafe thing is their optional feature to build sales by increasing trust. Seems to be initially used for auctions.

(The difference in Grade A and Grade B....remember that?)
I remember that. :smiley2: It is interesting that Candlemaker's would use that service. Esp. when it seems that suppliers would rely more on retaining repeat customers and a good reputation to help draw more, than a third party 'guarantee' system. Of course I don't know the full scope of their business, but I do wonder why they may think they need that feature.

This supplier promise would work for me:

+ your item will be packaged and shipped via the promised shipping method

+ your item will ship in the timeframe promised

+ you will receive what you ordered as described online

+ all return and refund policies will be honored

+ all payment methods will be honored and there will be no hidden costs

I shouldn't have to buy insurance to get it!

Now with this insurance policy in place, what to keep the supplier from stating they shipped items, not do it, and then let insurance pay the customer for it. That way, the supplier would have the customer's money and the stock. It's a cheap way they could increase their inventory. They have nothing to lose. The customer is paying for the insurance.

The offer of insurance might have started as a good intention, but I think overall, it has too many negative aspects associated with it to benefit the company in the manner they probably thought it would.

Zoovy.com has an 'in the news' section for their company. There is an article commenting on how that BuySafe feature is being used for more than just ebay now. Candlemaker's may have received that feature for cheap or free when they started using zoovy. I'm not trying to defend C-maker's decision or whatever, just trying to throw another possibility of why it now exists on their site. They'll probably read this board and see how it is initially perceived.

Isn't this Steve "The Nice Guy"? He's one of the first suppliers I heard about with absolute great service, about 4 years ago.

I guess I'd read it this way - if a company with great service normally did this, then I'd think it was a good thing - extra protection for something out of the ordinary. If a company with lousy service did this, I'd think they were passing the buck.

I hate insurance on principle no matter what though, so it's not something I'd ever sign up for.

I haven't heard negative things about him, and that's just my point. He doesn't need to do this from my point of view. But, maybe he's had a bad experience with some customers that made him feel compelled to do it.

Or, maybe he sees it as just another way to squeeze an extra penny out of his customers to put in his bank account. His shipping charges are bad enough.

They are a long standing and reputable supplier with a good reputation. I use them for some outstanding FO's. I have had no problems at all. And I am sure that they will honor all customer service issues and or mistakes made fairly and competently whether or not you get the "extra" thing. E-mail and ask for clarification if you are concerned.

I ordered FO samples from them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They adjusted the shipping so it was reasonable (as explained on their cart page). I did not purchase the extra insurance- didn't even notice it was available. I had a question regarding one of the samples, thought there was a possible mistake, e-mailed them asking if they could please send another which they did right away, no questions. I don't believe it's necessary to purchase the extra insurance, and since it's only an option and not required, why stress? If it was added on automatically, then I would not purchase from them.

They are a long standing and reputable supplier with a good reputation. I use them for some outstanding FO's. I have had no problems at all. And I am sure that they will honor all customer service issues and or mistakes made fairly and competently whether or not you get the "extra" thing. E-mail and ask for clarification if you are concerned.

Originally Posted by sockmonkey viewpost.gif

Here is what your insurance will get you:

+ your item will be packaged and shipped via the promised shipping method

+ your item will ship in the timeframe promised

+ you will receive what you ordered as described online

+ all return and refund policies will be honored

+ all payment methods will be honored and there will be no hidden costs

This is not insurance for your added protection. Promised shipping method, shipping in the time frame promised, ordering an item as described, policies being honored and no hidden costs is not something anyone should pay extra for. You shouldn't have to pay extra for a promise made.

I remember him writting the most honest and logical article on Fragrance Oils. (The difference in Grade A and Grade B....remember that?)

He cleared up a lot of confusion for me.

I would be interested in hearing what he has to say about this.

it looks like he's already said what he has to say?

what is the point in starting a discussion if you aren't going to say at the beginning who or what you are talking about. it took many posts and someone else to say what should have been said in the first paragraph.if you can't be upfront, why mention it?

I'm surprised. Steve's has long had a very good reputation and their service has always been top notch.

I will continue to order the few things I get from them, although w/o this added "protection". Seems to be like he's been sold a load of crap and just hasn't realized what he's gotten and how utterly ridiculous it sounds.

it looks like he's already said what he has to say?

what is the point in starting a discussion if you aren't going to say at the beginning who or what you are talking about. it took many posts and someone else to say what should have been said in the first paragraph.if you can't be upfront, why mention it?

This makes no sense to me. Anyone else follow this?

I'm surprised. Steve's has long had a very good reputation and their service has always been top notch.

I will continue to order the few things I get from them, although w/o this added "protection". Seems to be like he's been sold a load of crap and just hasn't realized what he's gotten and how utterly ridiculous it sounds.

I agree with you Beth. I have always gotten all of the things "promised on the extra insurance" from this company in the past when I had ordered thru them. I am sure he didn't think about how it could be perceived by a customer as a very questionable and negative strategy. He obviously thought it would be a "good thing" and that is why he added it. It just took me by surprise when I read it last week.

This extra insurance might boost sales at companys that have a reputation with not being able to produce these things promised on their own. It might help to bring back previous customers that have been unimpressed with the company and CS for another chance knowing that they were guaranteed of getting what they should no matter what.

This makes no sense to me. Anyone else follow this?

I didn't get it either at first. But I think what they are saying is that the supplier should have been mentioned in the first post, without others pulling it out a few posts later. :wink2:

But I don't know what it had to do with your post though.

1. Sock, you said it was "on a supplier website". That was the beginning of your first sentence. That would make the supplier the topic.

2. Dallas, if it's on someone's website, I think you can assume that's what he has to say about it. Otherwise, it would not be on his website.

Any other questions?

Having it on his website says he elected to do it. It doesn't say anything about WHY. Again, I would be interested in hearing what he has to say about it. I would venture to say that most business owners have a reason (or two) for doing the things they do. The down side of this is the public perception we have seen in this thread. I would be interested in knowing what the "positives" are.

Maybe I should stay out of this but my 1st thoughts while reading this thread were for those of you who have either used this supplier or know the operator mabye contact them & let them know your thoughts on this matter? My thinking is maybe noone beefed, so they have no idea how bothersome this is?

Maybe either you, or someone else who has used them & has some sort of report with them, can send them a quick email telling them to log onto this forum & read this thread. If I were them, & it was my company, I'd appreciate it being pointed out to me. No? Maybe?:undecided