Anybody use...

I am actually testing the LX wicks against the HTP right now (in 4627). I am finding that the HTP give off some soot during the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the burn. It's not terrible, but it is more than I want to see. The LX is giving off some soot, but it is extremely minimal compared to the HTP and is really only on the side the wicks leans towards. The throw with the LX is awesome. I think it's better than the throw with the HTP. I am using the LX 16 which in 4627 is a comparable size to the HTP 83 - though it does burn better than the HTP, imho. The LX 16 leaves just a slight hangup until the last 1/2 of the burn too and so I will be testing the 16 against the 18 this weekend. I will let you know what I come up with. Overall I guess they are pretty comparable, but I am definitely leaning towards using the LX wicks for 4627. HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...
I use LX wicks in J223 and get great results. Very little sooting and nice even burn.

I've been testing the LXs with J223 & they are my favorite wick but...

I seem to have trouble with them when I use dark colors and/or spicey fo with the flame getting weak half way down the jar.

For instance cinnamon bun, lt tan color burns great with a LX16. Apple Pie & Harvest (one burgandy, one rust orange) I went up to an LX 22 & it still gets weak! Have you had any trouble with this?

Julie

I have run into that problem on occassion with a heavier FO. I've done the same as you...wicked up. Usually that resolves the problem. I have sometimes had to switch to another wick...like a CD or RRD or I'd cut back a little on the fo or if it's heavily dyed, use less dye.

I use the CD wicks in my wax. I find that they burn well in my apothecary jars. They do mushroom but this does not bother me because of the other characteristics. I use the lx series but I tend to use the smaller ones in my votives and flowerpots. The one thing that I do not like about them is that they seem to curl. In a votive it does catch up quickly but in the larger sizes it creates too much of a lop-sided melt pool. I am strange because I also like the CD series in my pillars.

HTH,

For those of you who use the LX wicks, do you find that they give off a lot of soot with certain FOs? When I tested Blueberry Cobbler, the LX wicks smoked like a chimney. With Amish Harvest, not soot at all ao far (I'm 1/2 through the test burn). It's been like that with all of the FOs I've tested - some soot with the LX wicks and some do not. I really like the way they burn, but can't deal with the soot. Do they not soot for you guys? May I ask what sizes you are using with your type of jar? Thanks.