What went wrong

Before you go any further, I'd strongly suggest you get a thermometer. You really need to have one in order to follow the manufacturers instructions for the heating and pouring temperatures for the type of wax you are using. Temperature and weights of wax and FO are very important, so you are going to need a scale as well. Candlemaking is a pretty precise craft, so you need the proper equipment to get the results you're looking for...you can't just wing it. Good luck!

Definitely need a scale other than your bathroom one! Most candle supply places sell a digital one for measuring wax so check your supply place. Although Im sure someone here can reccomend a store and brand where you can get one. Accuracy is key when measuring FO and wax etc..

Good Luck!

You can't get the fragrance oil and the wax separated and start over fresh, no. You can remelt and repour the candle, though.

If you just want to do this at the hobbyist level and don't want to invest a ton of money you should be able to find a postal or kitchen scale and a glass thermometer at almost any big box store for less than $15 combined.

You can get a candy thermometer and a digital scale in the housewares section of Walmart. The thermometer is only a couple of bucks...the digital scale will run you about $15-$20.

You can remelt your candle, add a little more FO to it and start again. If you haven't weighed out the appropriate amount of FO per pound of wax, I wouldn't count on being able to smell it when it's lit. The average use for FO to wax would be 1-1.5 oz of FO to 1 lb of wax...this is why it's so important to have the proper equipment to use when you make candles. Anyway, that ought to get you started.

The hardest part will be figuring out what size wick to use for each mold or jar...that's where all of your testing will begin. Have fun!

Ok. I bought the scales and thermometer. Couple of questions. 1) Will a meat thermometer work or do I need the candy thermometer? 2) Is there a page that tells me the right temperature to melt and pour 3) What is a re-pour? is that when you top of the candle after the first pour? 4) I am pouring into 8 oz Bell jars so how long do I need to heat them in the oven? 5) I can melt the wax in the oven and then pour again after I check the temp right?

Jeez, this is what I get for thinking "Oh, this will be so easy" happens every time I get cocky. lol

I haven't tried a meat therm but I prefer the candy therm over anything else. They come with the hook so you can put it on the side of your presto pot or pouring pot or whatever you are using. The pages for the right temps are going to be based on your wax and what you want to do with it. Some waxes like palm should be poured at 200 and then waxes for rustic looks should be poured at or around 150-175 .. It really is just going to depend. I haven't been following too close to your threads, so what wax are you using? What company did you get it from? There is no reason you need to heat your glass before pouring. Most people here will tell you it's a waste of time. Never tried heating wax in the oven. Not sure I would recommend this process.

Christina

If you just want to do this at the hobbyist level and don't want to invest a ton of money you should be able to find a postal or kitchen scale and a glass thermometer at almost any big box store for less than $15 combined.

And -- don't forget to pick up the #1 item you need before you ever start dabbling with candlemaking -- a Fire Extinguisher! :)

Oh my goodness...I don't think that's such a good idea to melt your wax in the oven...could be a huge fire hazard. You really need to get the right equipment to do this right and safely. Get yourself a double boiler or a presto pot to melt your wax in. You'll also need a pour pot to transfer the wax into. About the meat thermometer...I guess it would work but the candy thermometers are better because they have a clip on the side to hold onto the side of the pot.

Maybe you should slow down a minute and find out what kind of wax you have and what the manufacturers suggestions are for heating and pouring temperatures. Get some good fragrance oil so that you won't be disappointed if you use the cheap stuff and you can't smell a thing when it's lit. You need to at least have basic instructions to follow which can be found by searching the board or over in the Techniques & Ideas and General Information to the left of the screen. You should have everything that you need "first", otherwise, you're just going to get frustrated by having to stop in the middle of a project, because you don't have what you need, or you might cause a fire by trying to heat wax in the oven, when what you really need is a proper melting pot.