Good wax for newbie?

babyrn

:cry2: Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was "effortless", because I know it's not. I wanted input on whether it would be easier to start out with votives or container candles, waxes that need additives vs waxes that don't, soy waxes vs other waxes, etc. I know everyone has different ways they do theirs and their own reasons for likeing certain things, I was just wanting input to decide where a good starting point for me would be. This is the board I came to when I started out with B&B, and I could not have done as well as I have without it, so Thanks to all.

It would probably be best to start out with which ever type of candles you like the most. Just like anything else about candlemaking, everyone thinks one type is easier than another. IMO, and this is JUST me, votives are by far the easiest, then pillars, then containers. But you will need to decide what type of candle before choosing the wax. I personally find preblended waxes easiest but, as before, it depends on what kind of candles and which techniques you want to use. :)

New to candlemaking, I have done bath and body forever and want to try something new. Can anyone suggest a good wax to start out with that requires little effort (I don't want to get discouraged to quickly) but get's a good scent throw?

I would go with a preblended first, that 1343 is not all it's cracked up to be, I know everybody loves it. Just can't get past that low FO load, even with additives, still not enough for me.

First decide which candle you want to start with then buy a kit. Peak and other candle supplies have kits with every thing you need to get started and instructions. I agree a preblend is the best to start with. You won't be able to be creative but that can come along as you progress.

And I can't stress enough as everyone here will tell you test test test... read read read.. and above all be safe

Good luck :smiley2:

I would have to agree with Scents for Me About the pre-blended wax. I started with the pillar kit from www.peakcandle.com as you get 10 LBs of 4625 pillar wax, a 3x6.5 pillar, 5 2oz bottles of Fragrance oil, 24ply flat braid, dye chips, a 4LB pour pot,,they also have kits for votives and containers. The kits are well worth the money if you add everything up individually. JMO,,,,:rolleyes2 also write everything down that you do,,,read a lot,,ask questions and above all TEST< TEST<TEST

J223 was always the best and easiest for me. For me, it was like you couldn't screw it up. *well, you can, of course, but I loved it, and it seems super easy to work with* I started out with container candles, because to me, also, just MO, they were the easiest to do For the pillars, I love the 4625, and the mottling wax. Good luck!