Should be an interesting show tomorrow.UPDATE~PG 3

Fire and Ice

The show went very well for me. There were not a great many shoppers who came through but those who did bought from me. This show is held in a small elementry school but it's an old show with a good reputation.

The first thing I noticed was that there were as many as a dozen candle makers in all, including all the big boys but Mia Bella pulled out in the middle of setting up. She must have done it after I left because I did se her start to set up as I was leaving. I saw her boxes and I saw the candles but she was still setting up when I left.

I learned after the show was over, that it was assumed that I would not be back after being robbed of $200.00 last year. Hence, everyone showed up to try and sell to my customer. The head of the show told me this as I was packing up. I asked her how the other chandlers did and she shook her head and downed her thumb. But many were newbies. I set in my entry late but by then several of the newbies as well as other had already commited their monies. I have no idea if Mia Bella pulled out because of me or because Golden Canyon was also there. Or maybe it was all of the other chandler newbies there that she tossed in the towl and went home. She wasn't there today and all her stuff was gone.

I went in early, set up the clamshell display and cruised to see who all was there. I noted all the newbies and they certainly knew who I was!

I was just looking, Never picked up a candle or said anything but good morning. They newbies were all in the class room and I was out in the hall in my usual spot in front of a set of door that led outside.

GC was down from me about twenty feet. She relaxed and spoke with customers all day but kept and eagle eye on me as I setup the clamshells, took the lids off the first candles, plugged un the tart warmer and melted Amish Harvest!

I'd bought a newpaper so I was kicked back and relaxing when the customers started coming. Many just smelled and looked and said they'd be back while other came to chat and to smell the NEW scents!

I was very relaxed and having a great time and I knew she was watching me but I ignored her. The sales were small but steady. Just people buying one candle at a time.

Early afternoon, things began to pick up some for me and I noticed several of the newbies watch from the classroom doors as well. One ventured up and I greeted her warmly as she smelled the candles and asked questions. I was polite and friendly but gave nothing away as to where I got anything. I wished her luck as she walked away.

"How does anybody compete with you?"

If you want to remain in candles, you need to lean from those who have stuck it out like I have. We're all been newbies at some point, myself included." I replied. "You have to believe in your product and no matter what stick around. I had to earn my customers too."

To make a long story short, I had the most sales of all the chandlers including GC. She took down alot of names for possible parties and the like but she didn't sell anything. But she made lot of contacts so I guess she has people to pursure for the future. But she was curious about me and watched but never said anything. I think she was a little myffed because she had to light one of her candles because of the scents I was sending out. She tried to counteract them but to no avail.

Amish Harvest ruled the hallway!

I did about $250 in sales and I was okay with that. I took home less that what I brought and there were old and new customers alike.

Right as I was tearing down the clamshell display I sold $100.00 in candles to two people. Not bad for ten mitutes work.

I was a pretty good show and I was pleased that both Yankee and Golden Canyon got to see a small time candle maker kick their reps butts with a well made product of quality and integrity.

Fire:cool2:

Congrats! It sounds like a good show! I really wish craft shows would not let people in unless they actually made the craft. It annoys me to go to a craft show and find flea market stuff or home interior, etc. I'm glad things went well for ya!

Stephanie

Congrats! It sounds like a good show! I really wish craft shows would not let people in unless they actually made the craft. It annoys me to go to a craft show and find flea market stuff or home interior, etc. I'm glad things went well for ya!

Stephanie

I wish they wouldn't either but when I ask Gayle(Show organizer) why these people were allowed in, she said that when they entered, they were just listing their product as candles. Not Yankee Candles or Golden Canyon Candles. I guess a lot of crafters didn't do well last year so they didn't come back and she had to fill the spaces somehow.

She said she really hoped I'd be back and was happy when my entry came in but she also know that many of the new candle people would be very upset because they weren't going to sell much.

Still she did say that one of the newbies was VERY upset at GC, Yankee and HI being there with their candles. She was far more upset about those people than me. Probably because I'm a crafter too. But I can't help think the anger would have transferred to me had none of them showed up.

So many people in my area think candles are a way to make a huge pile of money and no matter what you tell them, they fail to listen.

They find out the truth too late. They have to be willing to invest time as well as money. Many think that I make money hand over fist and that certainly not true at all.:embarasse Every year is different. Most, I do make some profits but other years I just break even.

But the newbies got their early reality check at this show. Now it will be up to them to either throw in the towel or not. It was the same reality check I got at my first show, which was a festival. Brought 300 candles to the festival and sold 35 of them on four day! Not good but not horrible either. I was hooked and set about improving my product and my booth. Many of these newbie will throw in the towel.

So many people in my area think candles are a way to make a huge pile of money and no matter what you tell them, they fail to listen.

They find out the truth too late. They have to be willing to invest time as well as money. Many think that I make money hand over fist and that certainly not true at all.:embarasse Every year is different. Most, I do make some profits but other years I just break even.

Ditto:) This is so true. I have not made candles long (3 yrs) but if there is one thing I've learned, candle take time and money:) AND work, lots of it, especially if you plan to partipate in shows, fairs, etc.

Hi everyone,

I was just reading this thread and thinking about all the good, sage advice you are throwing out. I help my sister make soy candles/tarts and we have done a couple of craft shows this year. We have done pretty well especially for just starting out. However we are realistic though and know that it will take time for people to know your product is out there as well as money to invest back into the product.

Our first show was back in November. It was at the Middle school where my sister lives and it has been going on for about 30 years now. Well we were setting up, bringing in tables, the risers (which my brother-in-law) did an awesome job on and the tarts and candles. Well we noticed this woman a couple of rows over from us really checking us out. We were wondering why she was staring and finally we saw she had candles too. We went about out business like we did not notice her, set our price signage up and everything. Well the next day came along and about half way through the show a customer told us that the other woman was selling her candles $2 cheaper than ours and was even telling potential customers we were trying to rip people off with our prices. we guessed that she checked our booth out once we left. Well we explained that we only used premium fragrances, waxes and add up all the cost that goes into making them. People seemed to enjoy hearing about how we make candles and such. My sister sells her 8 ounce Jelly Jar candles for $7 each or 2 for $12. She has yet to have any trouble getting $7 for a candle. As a matter of fact she sold 29 candles in the Beauty Salon that she owns just last week. Come to find out to, we learned from another vendor near the other candle lady that she went home after setup and stayed up til 3am making more candles becuase of all the stock we had and the vast selection of scents (try 80 scents), LOL! Haveing that many fragrances to choose from has been really a positive thing for my sister. Anyways we thought the other candle lady was just acting stupid and ignored her both days. Is it just me or do some candle people depend on selling candles to pay their rent, car payment etc? It sure seems that way from reading all these horror stories on this board.

BTW how do you cover when another candle vendor starts asking personal questions such as where you get your wax, fragrance etc?

Thanks,

Shawn

Sorry about the long post

BTW how do you cover when another candle vendor starts asking personal questions such as where you get your wax, fragrance etc?

Thanks,

Shawn

Sorry about the long post

I just tell them the truth. They have to start from the beginning and research everything on their own. I'm certainly not giving anyone any shortcuts. Nobody gave me any when I started out! I learned by trial and error. I didn't even have this site to ask questions on. And certainly nobody wants to test their candles. They want to get out there and make to big bucks.

When I tell them that, they leave my booth in a huff! Too bad~ sucks to be you!:laugh2:

So far we havent had anyone try and get infomation from us. i know its a matter of time. My sister owns her own salon as well as doing hair and candles so i help her out by doing some shows for her. The last show we did was at a church and we were literally right beside another candle booth. We didnt know it yet but when the organizer came over to welcome us she asked what we had and we said candles. Well at that moment the lady setting up next to us just blurted out OHHH NOO! Then she nervously tried to laugh that off when everyone turned to look at her. She asked what kind of candles, Parraffin? I guess she was really hoping we would be parraffin thinking it was inferior to her soy candles. Well when we said soy as well you could tell she didnt like it. It was really funny to see her set up, everything was just lined up in rows flat on a table, no risers and then they set their chairs in front of their candles. I was thinking how people were even going to see their stuff if they were in front of it. We set our booth up where we would sit behind our tables, jars on risers, pressed tablecloths etc, it seemed to work really well becuase we sold lots more than she did. We ended up on a very positive note with them cause by the end of the day we were both complaining about how people who came to the show were pretty much just there for the breakfast/lunch the church was selling and the baked goods. The church had it set up where all the baked goods/food was up front and all the craft items was in the back. Alot of the people that came never bothered to even look at the non-food booths. We both said we wouldnt be back at that one. People came for the food only and most of your older crowd do not get into candles like others might.

shawn