My first experience at a craft show...

Yesterday I helped my mother in law with a craft show and we were set up right beside someone who makes candles and soap. I brought a few of my wax dipped snowmen and took one out of the bags. Everyone that walked in the room smelled my snowman (cinnamon sticks) and went straight for her table. Her candles were absolutly awful. She put wax and a wick in any container she could find, one was a flower vase with a narrow neck, another was a small glass basket with the wick right under the handle, and the 3 wicks she tried to make were definatly a fire hazard in the tins with 2 of the wicks 1/2" from the sides and the other floating somewhere toward the middle. (and she said she had been making candles for a year)

Is this common to see at craft shows? Am I turning into a "candle snob"? I am just figuring out the right combinations for the candles I am making and would never consider putting them into a craft show yet but mine are much better looking and smelling than hers were.

Sorry for the rant, I just was blown away with what I saw yesterday and can't stop thinking about it! Has anyone had similar experiences?

Yes, at the smaller show you do tend to run into things like that. Jurried shows have a better quakity of candle.. but you still run into those that slap things together. Just makes you look better if you have a nice presentation.

Yes, I ran into that this weekend with another lady that was there making candles. Actually there were four of us there that made candles and electric candles. All of them with the exception of me sold tarts as well as another lady there that sold tarts with warmers.

Anyway~

This one lady had her candles in the small jelly jars and her wicks were all over the place not to mention the tops were covered with what looked like dirt.

I do not have a problem telling people that anyone can throw wax in a jar with a wick and call it a candle. I warn people to be careful and what to look for in a good quality candle before they buy,

Yep, I saw several of the "slap it together and sell it" variety this weekend. Went to a local show, as a customer. There was one booth that was dedicated to candles - all soy, colorless in frosted containers. Her presentation is very arty and high end, and she doesn't sell much.

Saw several booths that had various decorative items and a few candles. I was nosy and asked if they made the candles - every one said no, they bought them from "insert cute story about old person/single mom/family farm". Every one of them were really scary - wicks off centered, wicks that were obviously too big, wax that was lumpy, dusty containers. The family farm candles were small status jars for $10 and were dirty on the top.

I find that if your presentation is attractive, you are able to carry on a conversation with people and let your enthusiasm for your craft shine through, you will do well.

I try to avoid bashing the competition, but if someone asks what to look for in a candle I hit the high points of centered wicks, safe containers, etc.

Oh, and I will be at this show next year!

Well for starters I tell them not to fall for the triple scented thing....that wax can only hold but so much fo and that it is just a marketing ploy.

I tell them to look for centered wicks and to be careful when buying candles that have what appears to be flammable materials in them.

I also suggest that people ask questions.....like how long they have been making candles or what type of wick or wax that they use to see if they are knowledgable of their products.

IMO, most craft show chandlers only make candles, accessories and wax related products.....we do not sell jewelry, crocheted items or woodworking.

We stick to what we know. Unless they have actual shops and they sell other primitive items that are related to home decor. To me, when I see someone with a variety of stuff that is totally unrelated it screams "I am just trying to make a buck" This person generally is not someone you want to buy a candle from especially since you will be adding fire to it in your home.

I have found that I am really judgemental these days of the quality of other folks products. I always ask other candle makers what products they use to make their candles just to see what they say.

Something I have found is most of the buying public is educated about handmade candles.. or maybe they have just been burned. I have watched people that spent time in my booth sniffing and oohing and ahing practically snub other candle vendors because of the things cited here.. dirty looking candles, off centered wicks, wax poured into anything and maybe a label on it. I think many have found the $3-$5 jelly jar that has been slapped together no longer a bargin. After a show, you light your candle, it burns poorly and when you look, there is no way to get a hold of the candlemaker. At times I feel I am having to restablish trust with the public that home made candles can be a quality product and should you ever have questions, concerns or want to reorder.. my number is on every product I sell.

I put my labels on hanging grunge tags that I make. I dont like them on the jars. This way they can remove my tag if they want to.

It is funny how people spend sooooo much time just smelling and lingering.

I have noticed that most people try to allow their products to sell themselves and never speak unless spoken to but whenever someone comes near my table, I engage them in hello's and then go from there. By the end they are walking away with a candle.

Yes, it's common. VERY!

You just promote your product. You don't need to put anyone else down or the quality of their product. For instance, telling people you have tested thoroughly ... there are ways to hint at what is wrong with candles you may see, like crooked wicks, too narrow of a container to safely burn in etcc. You just aren't necessarily naming the competition.

As for smells, keep dipped critters wrapped. Let their cuteness be the sale-appeal or the attraction, but have like a sniff hole or something for people to get a whiff of the product. It's interesting how vendors next to you will capitalize on your smells to push their products and it is not uncommon for it to happen regularly.