Help for possible new candle maker

My mom is an avid candle burner as well as hobbiest. As with many people, buying christmas gifts for the holiday can be a tremendous undertaking. I think if I got her introduced to the process of making candles she would absolutely enjoy this hobby. Can anybody give me some information of where to start, for example:

Are starter kits worth while?

If not, what would you put together to get someone started and where would I buy them. (Hopefully from one place)

What books or videos would be important to include in this package.

Do you have to start on pillars, tapers, jars, votives, etc to gain experience.

If I missed any important questions, please feel free to add. From what I read this board is full of experienced individuals and I look forward to gaining a wealth of knowledge, so hopefully I can put together a packacge that I am excited about as well as my mom. Thanks in advance to everyone that resposnds.

I still consider myself a newbie, but I've seen on here a lot of times about buying a starter kit. A lot of people suggest Peaks and they say to pick one type of candle and stick with that until you've got it down pat. The way I got started was my girlfriend put together a kit for me. And I went from there. But I guess the kits are great. Check out Peaks > to the right of the screen. I'm sure someone else will jump in here, but thats a starting point. Good Luck! Dee

Thank you for the reply. I have looked at those kits, but since I don't really know what is good or bad, is there anything else that is a must have or would be a nice addition to one of these kits that would make candle making easier or give a better chance of success?

I would include a book on candle making, a good ditigal scale (around $30), a gift card to a candle supplier for future purchases, since the candlemaking kit is just the beginning! And maybe a few sample wick packages, since those are a must have once she really gets going. I would stick with container candles as those are a fairly easy way to begin.

What a thoughtful gift for your mom. I'm sure she will love it...

My husband started me off with a container starter kit from Cierra Candles which was a good start for me. He. bought me the remaining starter kits from there when he found out the first one was a hit with me. So, I'm an enthusiastic newbie. :grin2:

I also agree with GMP concerning all the other goodies. Scale, wicks, books, etc. I ended up getting The CandleMaker's Companion book which I found helpful.

Whatever kit you decide to get, it'll be great. She'll love it!

So are these kits worth there value. I guess what I am trying to say is are products in the kits of high quality or should I try to assembe a kit by myself with higher quality products. Since most people on this board are experienced, if you had to start all over again would you be happy purchasing one of these kits or would you design a combination of your own products. I am open to suggestions if someone were to put a list together that they would be happy to recieve from someone as a gift. I just don't want to buy a kit and have it be some much trouble that she losses intrest. I hope my rambling makes sense, as I am using everyones expertise on this board as my research. And again, thanks so much for the enlightenment and crash course!:D

IMO, a starter kit is absolutely the way to go. That's how I started and I think it was the best way for me.

I started with paraffin votives ... the kit was from Cajun Candles. The kit included wax, fo, dye, wicks, & molds with wick pins. The additional items that I bought (from Walmart) were:

1) digital scale ($25)

2) digital thermometer ($7)

3) large pyrex measuring cup ($5)

4) presto pot ($20)

If you buy a kit, you just need to decide what type of wax you want to buy ... soy or paraffin. Then check out reputable suppliers and see what they have to offer.

For soy, Millcreek has a good kit. All their fo's are tested in soy. Off the top of my head, you can get kits at Bittercreek, Snowtop, and I'm sure there's others if you do a search.

Does your mom like wax melts or tarts?

Those are very easy to make and can be a nice addition to your basket. Here's what you'll need: Tart Wax (check the board for recommendations), some Fragrence Oil, and dye chips. Then you can add in candy molds from Party City or Michaels so she can mold her tarts, which is very fun to do. And finally, don't forget a nice tart warmer to go with it.

She does have tart warmers, but she primarily burns candles. I also have tart burners, but find it easier to just get the plug ins and use those for everyday use. I guess I am going to heed the advice and purchase a kit, maybe one for myself also.

when getting your kits and/or supplies, try to find a company near you. I live in Minnesota and I get most of my supplies from Iowa and Wisconsin. Shipping is a killer once you become an addict to the joy of candlemaking, especially on wax! FOs and smaller items you can get anywhere you wish but I'd pick a company close to you for wax and possibly glass. At least that's what I did and it's saved me money in the long run...

HTH some...

Life & Light!

Tish