100% Soy ~ No Scent Throw, Help!

Hi, I am new here but having been reading thru all the threads for about a week now. I use an all natural soy for my candles and tarts. Melt the soy at about 75 degrees. When almost melted I add steric acid, vybar and color. Stir, stir, stir. I back my heat down some and when it reaches 68 degrees I add my FO( 1 1/2oz), stir and pour. NO SCENT THROW hot or cold. Should I be adding another type of wax to my soy. I just can't figure it out. I buy my FO at most of the top of the line places that you all discuss in the other forums. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Connie

I don't know what type of soy you use, but I use EcoSoya PureSoy. I heat to 160-165 and then let it cool until it's slushy before I add FO and then pour. I do not add color or any other additives, so I don't know if that could be the problem or not. I do have some FOs that just will not throw in soy, regardless, though.

Stephanie

I do not think vybar is for soy waxes.

I think you are right Crowded House...I don't think vybar is for soy but for paraffin...you may want to use USA...(Universal Soy Additive)...also you might want to nix the stearic if you are making container candles. You may want to just try the soy with the fo and color if you use it and see what happens. HTH

Hi, I am new here but having been reading thru all the threads for about a week now. I use an all natural soy for my candles and tarts. Melt the soy at about 75 degrees. When almost melted I add steric acid, vybar and color. Stir, stir, stir. I back my heat down some and when it reaches 68 degrees I add my FO( 1 1/2oz), stir and pour. NO SCENT THROW hot or cold. Should I be adding another type of wax to my soy. I just can't figure it out. I buy my FO at most of the top of the line places that you all discuss in the other forums. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Connie

Unless your post has temp. typos you are really not heating wax to a hot enough temp and definately mixing in your color and fragrance waaaayyyy tooo cool. I don't think you need the additives either.

I noticed that the eBay store you bought from has no instructions on how to use your wax. Search for some reputable wax suppliers (not that this seller isn't, they just don't give you the info. you need).

Check out the natural soy instructions on major wax suppliers sites...I think your process is way off base and that's your problem.

Also, 100% soy waxes need to cure for a long time before any throw is noticeable. JMO

Good Luck!

I also wonder why you are adding so much.Just the scent and color(if you color) and I think you will get a good cold and hot throw.

You are not letting the wax get hot enough either.I have about 4-5 scents that are not as strong as I want.I will either add more FO or discontinue.My lemon chiffon I did discontinue and found a couple other lemony scents.That made a difference in the throw.

For my tarts I use a pillar/votive wax now but going to test 50% soy and 50% pillar/votive blend.I want to make the soy harder.100% soy wax makes the tarts way to soft.

Let us know if you get a better throw after we gave you these pointers.Give us a idea what scent you are testing too.Some are stronger than others but you should get a slight throw.Something.

LynnS

LynnS

What ebay store? I haven't looked, maybe Natural blend does sell there. But her website instructions come with the soy. It says melt at 175 (which I think I originally posted 75 degrees) Sorry! Yes, lots of temp typos. I was afraid much above that and I would reach a flashpoint.

So, I should be melting at 175 or more and use no Vybar or Steriac Acid. Let my soy get a little slushy, add FO and pour. The tarts and container candles that I did, have been curing for about 2 weeks. Burned three different ones this weekend and could smell nothing.

Thank you all for the help. I'll give it a try and see what happens. If not, then I guess I'll be changing waxes.

Connie

Lynns ~ I use pillar soy for my tarts and container soy for my jar candles. So, you mix the two 50/50 for you tarts or that is what you are going to experiment with? Because, yes the tarts are soft, that's why I started using the Steriac Acid.

Some of the scents I've used so far are: Gingerbread, Pumpkin Pie, Hot Butter Rum, Banana Nut Bread, Strawberries and Cream, Hot Apple Pie, Sugar Cookie, Hot Cinnamon (which I did get a slight throw on the cinnamon)!

I am going to try what y'll have suggested though. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for all the advice. It is just so frustrating spending the money for supplies and getting nowhere with it.

Connie

Hi. I checked on Natural Blends Candle supplies and their soy sounds like most of the soys. They have directions right on their web site and it does not mention any additives except color and 1 oz. FO per pound of wax. You mention 75 degrees...I take it this is Celcius as the wax melts about 120 degrees F. Try again with the wax and heatto around 160 F., and add the F.O. at the 1 to 1 1/2 oz. per pound. Stir for several minutes, let sit till slushy, stir again and pour into prepared jar. Try it without any additives. The wick size will depend on the jar size. Try 8 oz. jelly jars and try a HTP 104 or 105, Eco 6 or 8, CD 12 or 14 or somewhere in that range. After hardened, cover with a lid and let cure for several days. Then let burn for about three hours the first time to see if you get a full melt pool. if you have F.O. from several companies, check the first post in this forum and see oils that throw in soy as not all will. Check out the directions on their site and email them for help if this continues. Good luck. Maybe this will encourage you to try again. Beth

What ebay store? I haven't looked, maybe Natural blend does sell there. But her website instructions come with the soy. It says melt at 175 (which I think I originally posted 75 degrees) Sorry! Yes, lots of temp typos. I was afraid much above that and I would reach a flashpoint.

So, I should be melting at 175 or more and use no Vybar or Steriac Acid. Let my soy get a little slushy, add FO and pour. The tarts and container candles that I did, have been curing for about 2 weeks. Burned three different ones this weekend and could smell nothing.

Thank you all for the help. I'll give it a try and see what happens. If not, then I guess I'll be changing waxes.

Connie

I just entered the store name you quoted and the eBay store came up first so that's where I looked.

If the website has the instructions follow those. As I said I don't think you need the additives.

Most (I think) soy users add FO at higher temps so it will bond. I always add my color after the FO so I can be sure my FO has blended.

This candle making stuff is rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Takes a lot of research, time and money! :D

Hi::cheesy2:

Vybar and stearin should not be added at the same time; and though I have not really tried soy yet, I think your melting and pouring temps are too low. You must reach a certain temp to add the fo so they can become effective and then your candle may have to cure a week or more before the scent is what you want it to be.

I don't know what type of soy you use, but I use EcoSoya PureSoy. I heat to 160-165 and then let it cool until it's slushy before I add FO and then pour. I do not add color or any other additives, so I don't know if that could be the problem or not. I do have some FOs that just will not throw in soy, regardless, though.

Stephanie

SO WOULD THIS BE THE SAME FOR ALL SOY WAXES?? I am just wondering if I should let mine cool until it gets slushy before I add the FO and pour. What temp would you say that is????