OK, here's my candles...

SSR Candles

Here's the "uniquely southwestern" container candles I've started producing:

containerpots.jpg

The pottery the candles are in is our own - we also do ceramics. I've had excellent test burns with these, and did sell some at a local craft show last weekend.

Please, I want people's HONEST opinion of these - good or bad, and suggestions are welcome. This is something that I really enjoy doing, and I want to make sure it's done right!

I LOVE your containers.

Obviously it is hard to comment on the candle other than the colors look great, the wick seems to be centered and from what I can tell the fill seems to be level. So, if you are pleased with the burn and throw, looks like you are set.

Did I mention I love your containers?

Where is the site...where do I purchase?

Do you sell pottery as well?

I LOVE them!

I'd like to see a black one w/ white marble stripes through it (if it's possible)... they're like art pieces.

I wouldn't mind having a few of those around my house! I take it that the insides are all glazed and such to not absorb the FO..

wow... they're incredible. If you ever wanna get rid of a couple, let me know!

OOps... Forgot that I can't have a sig on this board. My site is www.sandstoneranch.com , click on the store link to enter the store. We do have the pottery for sale as well, but not on the site yet - haven't had time to get it all photographed and written up for the new shopping cart yet. You can contact me through the site for more info on the pottery.

I wouldn't mind having a few of those around my house! I take it that the insides are all glazed and such to not absorb the FO..

The pots are coated on the outside, but not on the inside - I was originally wondering if I would have to do that, but the wax from the candle seems to completely seal the ceramic. I have one of these that I poured quite a while ago as a test, and I've burnt and refilled it about 10 times now with no noticeable scent carryover, cracking, or leakage. We use a very fine clay mix in the pottery, so that may help too...

The pots are coated on the outside, but not on the inside - I was originally wondering if I would have to do that, but the wax from the candle seems to completely seal the ceramic. I have one of these that I poured quite a while ago as a test, and I've burnt and refilled it about 10 times now with no noticeable scent carryover, cracking, or leakage. We use a very fine clay mix in the pottery, so that may help too...

I thought I read somewhere that using ceramics w/out glazed insides can be dangerous... absorbs FO and can basically become a fire hazard, the ceramic itself turns into a wick filled with FO...

I know I read it regarding terra-cotta... but I dunno. I'll admit I'm completely ignorant to the ins and outs of ceramics.

I thought I read somewhere that using ceramics w/out glazed insides can be dangerous... absorbs FO and can basically become a fire hazard, the ceramic itself turns into a wick filled with FO...

I know I read it regarding terra-cotta... but I dunno. I'll admit I'm completely ignorant to the ins and outs of ceramics.

I read that too - that's why I have been burning my sample one so much. I have yet to see any traces of either the scent or the FO wicking up the container, so I'm satisfied that it's not going to be an issue with these containers. I'll keep re-using this one with different scents just to make sure tho...

SSR...I had a challenge placing my order. I chose 4 of the scents from the dropdown menu but wanted to use the "Other Fragrance" option for a few others, and can't seem to find it! I am looking for the words "Other Fragrance" in the drop down and it is not there. Am I having a senior moment here?

I am interested in the Patchouli Honey, Palm Wood and Hibiscus, Quince, Fig and others. Can you give me some pointers as to how to locate the "Other Fragrance" feature. Seems it needs to be done before I add it to the shopping cart. I even tried adding something else, sending it to the cart with the intent of changing it to "Other Fragrance" from that page..to no avail.

Frustrated here! H E L P!

Michael

To quote from your website:

"We offer candles in three styles of pots - traditional horsehair, our own "fine hair" finish, which uses smaller hairs from a wide variety of animals, and a grey "marble stone" finish. "

You use animal hair in your pottery? How does that work, and where does it come from?

SSR...I had a challenge placing my order. I chose 4 of the scents from the dropdown menu but wanted to use the "Other Fragrance" option for a few others, and can't seem to find it! I am looking for the words "Other Fragrance" in the drop down and it is not there. Am I having a senior moment here?

I am interested in the Patchouli Honey, Palm Wood and Hibiscus, Quince, Fig and others. Can you give me some pointers as to how to locate the "Other Fragrance" feature. Seems it needs to be done before I add it to the shopping cart. I even tried adding something else, sending it to the cart with the intent of changing it to "Other Fragrance" from that page..to no avail.

Frustrated here! H E L P!

Michael

Hmmm. Your are completely right. For some reason, the cart ate the "Other Fragrance" selection. I've re-inserted it, so things should work right now. This might explain why I've not seen any orders for scents not in the selection box.

I'd seal the insides too. All it takes is one. I usd terra cotta over and over and it eventually went poof.

I love your ceramics and would just not want to lose one if I bought from you, KWIM?

Now that I have found a suitable sealer, I will be. The primary reason I had not yet has to do with the problems associated with the application of the finish, which has to be done last, and the glaze that I wanted to use to seal them, which could not be re-fired. But I have found a much better solution to that problem now, and the insides of all of them will be sealed now. Guess I have a few more for myself to burn now, too - I had a few of them sitting around that weren't sealed, like the ones in the pictures. Factory seconds, anyone? lol

To quote from your website:

"We offer candles in three styles of pots - traditional horsehair, our own "fine hair" finish, which uses smaller hairs from a wide variety of animals, and a grey "marble stone" finish. "

You use animal hair in your pottery? How does that work, and where does it come from?

Lol. I figured someone would ask. I'll give you a short history of the finishes we use here:

First of all, all of the finishes are accomplished by burning the chosen material on to the pot, which is removed from the kiln at over 1000 degrees. The choice of things to be burnt onto the pot determines the final look.

Horsehair: This finish started 30+ years ago, and the Indian tribe that started doing it first is still in debate, so I won't credit any of them with it, since I don't know. Hair from the mane and tail of the horse is used. This hair can be bought in large quantities for crafts and other uses, but we prefer to use hair obtained locally from friends and neighbors that trim their horses for showing. We currently have no horses of our own, so we have to get it from other people.

Fine Hair: After working with the horsehair finish for a while, we decided that we'd like to try something a little different, something that everyone else wasn't doing, so we tried using llama, elk, sheep, and a few other fibers. The result was astounding, and the look is like nothing else I've ever seen. I'm sure that we'll be copied, and that others will be doing it soon, but I can honestly say that we were the first that I'd seen doing this. Our supplies for this finish are usually our own animals.

Marble Stone: This finish was originally created by the Hopi Indians 20+ years ago. We use a slightly modernized version of it, including materials that probably were not considered by the Hopi when they started using this finish. Due to the uniqueness of this finish, I can't say what we use to make it, but it's a natural resource, and is not animal based.

The biggest advantage of these finishes is that they come out different every time. The burn patterns are completely random.

I hope this answered everyone's questions about these, but feel free to ask more if I didn't cover it.

Horsehair: This finish started 30+ years ago, and the Indian tribe that started doing it first is still in debate, so I won't credit any of them with it, since I don't know. Hair from the mane and tail of the horse is used. This hair can be bought in large quantities for crafts and other uses, but we prefer to use hair obtained locally from friends and neighbors that trim their horses for showing. We currently have no horses of our own, so we have to get it from other people.

Fine Hair: After working with the horsehair finish for a while, we decided that we'd like to try something a little different, something that everyone else wasn't doing, so we tried using llama, elk, sheep, and a few other fibers. The result was astounding, and the look is like nothing else I've ever seen. I'm sure that we'll be copied, and that others will be doing it soon, but I can honestly say that we were the first that I'd seen doing this. Our supplies for this finish are usually our own animals.

Thanks for clearing that up... I am totally anti-horse slaughter, and I was prepared to be horrified if you had gotten the horsehair from slaughtered animals. Thank you for using the hair of animals that don't have to die to give it up!:highfive: :)

coating the inside of the pots is definately needed. I poured into a couple small antique pottery bowls made in the 4 corners area and they did soak up the FO & wax and stained the insides. You did a great job with the horse hair - love 'em.