Wick For Palm Candles

Well, Palm doesnt burn like other waxes, it's very hard. I can tell you that for Palm I am stuck on LX series wicks. If I were you I would pick up several of that series in the 20"s range and let the testing begin. :D

Your goal will be to leave a thin shell after a 4-6 hr burn. The shell will begin to consume itself as the candle burns further down so by the time you are at the bottom you will have used most of the wax up. At least that is my goal when wicking Palms anyway, LOL! Good luck. ;)

What Is Rrd's

I have been manufacturing Palm Wax Pillars for 2 years now and I've been through all the trials and tribulations that one can go through with this wax. The only advise I can give you is to purchase lots of sample packs and spools of wicking and test, test, test! I know there is a lot of money involved with purchasing lots of different wicking, but everybody has their own preference in wicking Palm Wax and only "you" can be the judge of what you can say is "The Perfect Burning Candle". When you've mastered the wicking, melt pool and the beautiful appearance, I would then make the decision to start selling it on eBay. Test the water before you jump in head first, you wouldn't want it backfiring on you.:embarasse

• 1 month later...
I hate to tell you this, but IMO if you want a "perfect burning candle" you would not use palm wax.

i'm new to palm wax & was wondering why you said this..does it not burn well? I'm wanting to try it, but after reading on some..i'm wondering now. Please help.

Kay

Palm is a very hard wax to get wicked. Since it is such a hard wax it's harder to find a wick that is going to burn leaving the right amount of shell without blowing out. It is a beautiful wax it just takes alot of testing to get the right burn results. I hope this makes sense.

I use CDN wicks from Just By Nature. They are the same as Stabilo KSTs. We used some hemp wicks first, but they mushroomed like an old log, so we got the CDNs and haven't looked at anything else for either soy or palm because they have worked so well for us.

I hate to tell you this, but IMO if you want a "perfect burning candle" you would not use palm wax.
Henry, it sounds like you have not found wicking or wax that works well for you and I am sorry for that, but I have no trouble with palm wax burning well! The only problems we have with burning palm wax candles is when we are deliberately trying to maintain a shell and a burnout occurs (usually because we wandered off and forgot to turn it when we should have done so...). To deliberately make shells, we slightly underwick the candle, and turn them a quarter turn every 20 minutes or so, but when wicked normally, we get a very complete burn. Sometimes, because palm is brittle and can't be "hugged" the way one can with paraffin, an edge will move away from the center slightly and need to be trimmed, but mostly, they burn up as well as ANY candle I have ever made or used.:grin2:

I bought 50lbs of Palm Wax and was determined! Pretty Pretty Wax/Candles.

I did get them to where they did not "blow out" and burned right up to the edge leaving a thin "wall". (which is what I was told they are supposed to do)

They were fabulous as long as every time before relighting I would take a razor and slice everything back to flat.:embarasse

LOL...Yea, like I am going to deal with that....or expect customers to go through that.

Is someone saying here that they have wicked this wax to leave that thin wall and with continued burning it consumes itself? (with no help?) OR am I misreading here?