4" container

OK - I have NEVER even tried to do a 4" container (basically, a type of apothecary jar). I know I'm going to have to double wick this (using soy/cottonseed) if I want it to burn right and have NO idea where to even start. Can someone please help point me in the right direction? (Off on a board search oddysey right now also). :)

With the 4" apothecary, I usually have pretty good luck with the 62-52-18z, and the 798 in the premier wicks. I never double wick, and always get a full melt pool. I use 6006 wax and sometimes J50. I know this is not soy, but may work for you,too.

Hi HenryK...I have been testing a 3 1/2" cylinder jar with GL 70/30 and have luck with either 2 LX 12, 14 or 16 depending on the scent. Because my jar is so short, I cannot just use unattached test wicks...I have to attach so I can finish testing to the bottom because the wax burns down quicker than out and my test wicks were falling over. (This was a great lesson learned from Holly here on the board).

I'm not totally happy with the LX though...they seem to mushroom too much so I am just starting to test with eco's. Also I was talking with the owner of a candle supply company out west and they suggested I try zinc wicks because they stand up straight and won't fall over. Holly also suggested hemp wicks. I have yet to try these.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your suggestions! I am going to pour just one tonight to test and to get a rough gauge (I'm using 50/50 KY125/115) - now I'm going to have a hard time trying to decide what to try first :)

ah-soy, I don't know. Hemps are cored wicks, so are zincs. The ecos are coreless, like the LXs. Its always hard to tell how a given wick will perform in a wax blend. Many people shun the zincs because of the mushrooms, yet I found in paraffin and soy blends (specifically the 70/30 and Joy wax), they had little or at the very least no more mushrooming than any other wick. The hemps are nice cored wicks - and seem to be a good hot wick - similar to cottons in that respect. They will say straight up for you. I am testing them now in paraffin pillars and so far they are doing really nice there also.

Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone for all of your suggestions! I am going to pour just one tonight to test and to get a rough gauge (I'm using 50/50 KY125/115) - now I'm going to have a hard time trying to decide what to try first :)

I use this same blend and when i tested my apothocary jar (16oz) I tried 2 HTP83's and did not get a real good melt pool. I would try 2 HTP 104's or 2CD10's. (I need to do the same tests myself and these are on the list.)

I have found the blend you are using to be easier to wick than lots of other waxes out there.

Patricia

Thanks very much everyone for ALL of the suggestions. Here is an update:

Well, I tried one last single wick - a CD22 - every seems to be on a CD kick so I figured I'd give the largest one a try. (Did not try the large HEMP but am curious).

Anyway, flame did this 90 degree dance thing and puffed - not good - pulled that and then I went through the responses here and hit the suggestion for dual 51Cs - figured I would try them first since I have a TON of them. What a difference (Thanks Rae)! Easy meltpool clear across in a couple of hours. Throw was out of this world - sickeningly strong actually. Jar wasn't too warm so far. Flames just sort of waved slowly - not bad at all. I'll keep burning this and see how it goes.

From my initial experience it just seems that double wicking these jars is going to give such a better burn that trying to use a single "rope size" wick.