Soap Not Getting Hard

ladysj

It's been almost 12 hours since I poured this 2nd batch of soap and it doesn't seem to be gelling. Even what little bit is left in the bucket is real soft. Is there such a thing as pouring it too soon? It's more like a creamy cream soap.I wrapped it up in a towel. Could it being really cool in the house affect the time it takes to gel? Is there anything I can do to make it a hard bar. I used the same recipe I used before which is the one Quite Girl posted except I used Mango Butter at 10% instead of Shea at 5%. Could it possibly have been too much butter? Thanks for any help/advice.

Here is what I used:

Vegetable shortening 15%

Coconut 15%

Palm Kernal Flakes 15%

Kokum or Shea 5%(Mango at 10%)

Safflower 25%(20%)

Olive 25%

To Say I think I answered my own question. I don't it think it was insulated well enough. I felt of the towel just now and it's really warm and felt of the mold and there is heat generating from it and the soap is changing colors.

If it doesn't gel it can take much longer to harden up. Not every batch will automatically gel - that's why some people put the mold n the oven. And yes, it can take forever to get the gel going. If mine don't gel I generally get to unmold at 48 hours.

Also yes - you can pour too soon. You really must reach at least light trace before you pour or you can end up with soap that never quite soaps or with lye pockets, etc.

I did have 1 batch that never ever hardened. Never figured out what happened - it wasn't oily or anything - just stayed soft! And it was the most beautiful swirl I had ever done.

The next time you make it, if you want it to gel, make sure to insulate it and insulate it well as soon as you fill the mold and cover it.

I use at least 1 folded towel under the mold, and 2 on top and then old sleeping bags on top of that.

If you do add an additional heat source, just make sure it's consistant heat. The heat vent in your bathroom won't work (very well), because it comes on and off and once it's hit gel, you don't want anymore heat. A heating pad on for 30-60 minutes under the mold will work.

If you are sure of your measurments and FO, just set it aside and let it sit for a day or two. I find no difference in hardness between ungelled and gelled batches, so just give it a bit more time and then check on it again.

It might just need more time to set up. The fact that it didn't completely gel won't affect it and does not really matter. In fact, some people think soaps that dont' gel produce a creamier lather than those that do gel. Some folks don't let their soaps gel at all, and some want their soap to gel. It is all a matter preference. If it seems too soft once it is set up, you can always rebatch.

Gel or no gel has nothing to do with why your soap is soft. I only make goat's milk soap and never gel my soaps and I can usually cut mine between 12 - 24 hours.

You don't say, but when you changed the recipe did you put it through the lye calculator again?? Did you use the full water or did you discount it?? If you didn't run it again through the calculator, that could be your problem. List your recipe with the exact amounts you used, including the water and lye.

It hardened up just fine. It just took longer than the first batch I made and I also found that I didn't have it insulated good enough. I used a piece of it yesterday and it's awesome. Smells great and lathers like no soap I've ever used. Thanks for the help everyone and yes I rechecked they are accurate. I was using them with the battery and the battery was low. So I am now using them with the adapter.

It hardened up just fine. It just took longer than the first batch I made and I also found that I didn't have it insulated good enough. I used a piece of it yesterday and it's awesome. Smells great and lathers like no soap I've ever used. Thanks for the help everyone and yes I rechecked they are accurate. I was using them with the battery and the battery was low. So I am now using them with the adapter.

Good to know, no more worrying about you and your scale...LOL

I also wanted to mention that I have a similar recipe I I started adding a very small amount of beeswax to my soaps. Not too much or the beeswax will inhibit lather, but small amounts also contribute to hardness. You melt the wax with your oils and also it is counted as an ingredient with a SAP value when determining lye. It's like .069 I believe. :wink2: