How important is Business Integrity?

Texas Rose

I actually thought more folks would respond to this question - I guess honesty and integrity is not a big issue in this business? If you knew a company was operating in a less than honest operation - would you want to know?

SO - for all you folks who operate or own your own craft business... How important is it to have INTEGRITY? In fact, how many actually know what integrity means?

I'm not talking just about being honest - I'm talking about keeping Your Word? About having the type of business that you can be proud of...

I'm talking about making a commitment that no matter what, you will do what you said you will do.

How about the way you treat people? Are you fair, considerate, or are you less than kind? Do you treat people the way you want to be treated? Or do you back stab them or say things 'under your breath', when no one is looking?

How about your product....Do you really test when you say you do?

Do you truly research your product, or do you steal other's ideas.

Do you actually learn how to price your candles, or do you take what other's price their candle, and use it as your own?

How about paying others back, do you PAy your vendors, employees, craft shows, etc., in a timely manner? Or do you wait for collections to knock at your door? Or wait till your employees are begging for their Wages?

As a customer - If you knew a company was not being honest - would you still support that company?

Does business ethics really mean anything in this day and age...? Or is it really a dog eat dog world?

I'd like to know just how many people really think that having integrity in business actually means anything anymore...

Thank you

I believe that what goes around comes around. If a person is less than honest in their dealings with others, then they will be handed the same treatment - eventually.

I believe that a Man is only as good as His Word. If you promise 'something' - you should keep it. Otherwise, people will not honor you, or trust you.

You will be known to be deceitful. It erodes the quality of your life, You as a person, and kills off relationships - whether business or not.

I believe that a person with a deceitful heart, will suffer physically and emotionally...do you remember the guy who was in the Enron scandle - died of a heart attack. I don't believe that was all an accident. Stress can kill ya!

I believe that being open about your candle info is better than acting like you made it up yourself. After all, there is nothing new under the sun, that someone hasn't already figured out. Trying to hide something is a laugh. I don't think there is a person alive who hasn't tried to lie about something. How did that make you feel? Personally, when I lie about anything, I don't feel so good about who I am. People in general are no different.

If you learn something from someone else, don't be afraid to give them the credit. It will keep you honest, and truthfully, people like that.

If a person unknowingly makes a mistake - it's okay to say you're sorry. But a person who makes a mistake, and tries to cover it up, is as good as being a liar.

I believe that businesses can cover up a lot of things that are less than perfect. It all comes down to your intentions. Lies never become just one - and if you are caught in one, it's very difficult to explain. Sort of like, two Wrongs will never make a Right.

If you can't manage a business with a high degree of integrity - then IT will eventually become unmanageble...and eventually fail. And those that think they can get away with that - are only fooling themselves.

I don't have a candle business (yet) but I do have another side business. I am consistantly complimented on the customer service I provide. In business, how you treat people is utmost important. In todays world, customer service has definately gone to the dogs. That's why the business owners who DO offer great customer service and have excellent ethics are the ones who will find themselves ahead of the competition. Anything less than an honest days work will soon come around to bite one in the fanny one way or another. I believe in Karma....and I also like repeat clients/customers.

But what about you? Sounds like someone didn't treat you fairly. ??

:confused:

Oh...and...P.S. I actually LIKE calculating the cost of my products/services.

:D

I really think that that this is a query people have to think about before they put their response into words. I think ethics is sorely lacking in today's world but as people get older (and wiser) They realize lies and deceit only lead to more of the same. Treat others as you wish to be treated. This has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with intelligent people dealing with each other. If you build a better mousetrap, people will buy yours, IF the servce is better

Just my humble opinion

Mari

And for the most part, my question doesn't have to do with customer service. It truly has to do with HOW a person runs their business. You can have good people working for you... But IF a person is ethically crooked - how would you deal with it?

Texas Rose, my wife and I could not agree with you more. But integrity in business goes farther than treating your customers and employees right and fairly. What about cheating the government? We have been selling candles for ten years and have yet to meet a fellow chandler or ANY self-employed person who reports all sales (that is CASH sales). When the subject was broached, everyone admitted that they don't report cash sales, which cheats the IRS (us) and the state (sales tax); and BTW we are from Texas also. We hear all kinds of excuses and rationalization. We report every penny. To us, if we start cheating on the pennies, what's next? Once our souls are tainted with that little, minor sin, the next one is easier. So, thanks for the post; it's refreshing to hear from someone who thinks Honor and Integrity are worth something.

If it's the person you work for, you should leave. As for telling, hmmmmmmmmm....They will get what's coming no matter what you do or say.

I was a manager of a store once where I told them one of the partners was embezzling. They let me go and a year later I received a phone call asking me to testify in court about this person....

Mari

(revenge is sweet)

I actually thought more folks would respond to this question - I guess honesty and integrity is not a big issue in this business? If you knew a company was operating in a less than honest operation - would you want to know?

What did you expect in the 40 minutes from your initial post til the time you edited?

Integrity is huge! Patience is too!

Your question seemed manufactured as a way to get folks to hop up on a band wagon actually. Did you really think anyone would jump in here and tell you they think integrity is unimportant? LOL! Integrity is relative. Your idea of integrity will probably be very different from someone else's idea.

And for the most part, my question doesn't have to do with customer service. It truly has to do with HOW a person runs their business. You can have good people working for you... But IF a person is ethically crooked - how would you deal with it?

I guess it would depend on who's ethics you're measuring. Philosophically speaking, ethics isn't an absolute. But if there was law breaking that was harming someone, extremely harming someone, then I would report it. To the employment bureau, to the better business bureau, or other state/local officals.

Otherwise, I would let their problems come home to roost with them. I would go about my business and be ethical in my own business, by my own standards. I'm not the policeman for the world, I'm not the tattletale on everyone's little wrongs. If I know that a company is getting 10,000% profit on something, I wouldn't say anything. If I know they are illegally hiring someone, I might go to the employment division.

But if it's major, then I would probably feel I'd have to do something. First would be to no longer do business with that person/company. I vote with my $.

I actually thought more folks would respond to this question - I guess honesty and integrity is not a big issue in this business? If you knew a company was operating in a less than honest operation - would you want to know?-- Ummm Yeah, who wouldn't?

SO - for all you folks who operate or own your own craft business... How important is it to have INTEGRITY? In fact, how many actually know what integrity means? Well I looked it up online and it means "0Integrity comprises the personal inner sense of "wholeness" deriving from honesty and consistent uprightness of character. The etymology of the word relates it to the Latin adjective integer (whole, complete). Evaluators, of course, usually assess integrity from some point of view, such as that of a given ethical tradition or in the context of an ethical relationship" so I guess I know what it means!

I'm not talking just about being honest - I'm talking about keeping Your Word? About having the type of business that you can be proud of...

Yes, I keep my word. Sometimes I have to eat my words, but I keep them.

I'm talking about making a commitment that no matter what, you will do what you said you will do.

Yes I do what I say and say what I do!

How about the way you treat people? Are you fair, considerate, or are you less than kind? Do you treat people the way you want to be treated? Or do you back stab them or say things 'under your breath', when no one is looking?

I tell people like it is. I treat people fair and very considerate of them except for TROLLS! I don't say anything I wouldnt say to someone face to face.

How about your product....Do you really test when you say you do?

Um, we have to test?? just kidding- Yes I test!

Do you truly research your product, or do you steal other's ideas.

I research and ask questions. I have never stolen another person's idea without asking them about it first. If I am given permission, then fine. Now- for someone to share ideas on a board gives freely, gives anyone the right to duplicate unless they specify otherwise

Do you actually learn how to price your candles, or do you take what other's price their candle, and use it as your own?

I price my own candles but need to raise my prices !

How about paying others back, do you PAy your vendors, employees, craft shows, etc., in a timely manner? Or do you wait for collections to knock at your door? Or wait till your employees are begging for their Wages?

I pay everyone in a very fast and timely manner. I have never left anyone hanging for $$$. I can't stand people who do that.

As a customer - If you knew a company was not being honest - would you still support that company?

HELL NO I wouldn't. I also take into consideration what other people say about companies. If one of my sister crafter gets taken, they lose my money as well!

Does business ethics really mean anything in this day and age...? Or is it really a dog eat dog world?

Unfortunetly, to most people it is a dog eat dog world. I try my best to respect my fellow crafter.

I'd like to know just how many people really think that having integrity in business actually means anything anymore...

Um, I think so!

Thank you

Your welcome!

I believe business integrity is important in my business I back up what I do if any one has a problem with something of mine bring up with me and I will make it right. I also try to keep my word at all times.

I also believe in the saying buyer beware so any company I do business with I check them out through boards like this and the BBB. I also read and give appropriate feedback at places like ebay so other buyers will know whether they should deal with a person or not. If I find a comapny is not dealing with me fairly then I quit shopping with them but I don't go out of my way to hurt them because there may have been a side I didn't know about.

I also think you didn't give it enough time before you started judging us most didn't have time to answer or may had not read you first post. Not everyone goes to every single section of this forum every time they login. Some folk are here just to do a search or check out just one section that they need for what ever reason. So I agree with Bunny patience is a virtue that maybe you need to practice.

I believe business integrity is important in my business I back up what I do if any one has a problem with something of mine bring up with me and I will make it right. I also try to keep my word at all times.

I also believe in the saying buyer beware so any company I do business with I check them out through boards like this and the BBB. I also read and give appropriate feedback at places like ebay so other buyers will know whether they should deal with a person or not. If I find a comapny is not dealing with me fairly then I quit shopping with them but I don't go out of my way to hurt them because there may have been a side I didn't know about.

I also think you didn't give it enough time before you started judging us most didn't have time to answer or may had not read you first post. Not everyone goes to every single section of this forum every time they login. Some folk are here just to do a search or check out just one section that they need for what ever reason. So I agree with Bunny patience is a virtue that maybe you need to practice.

I agree!

Yes, you are so right...I apologize...I am so upset over what has been happening on my end, that I wasn't thinking long enough to wait and see how others would respond. It was my bad judgement that caused me to say it in 'that' manner.

Actually, I wish I could tell you what has been happening. But it strikes

to close to home in the candle community, that I would be jeopardizing

someone's welfare .

But I had to hear from others - to see if there is an importance to

some kind of honesty in this world. I know I can't expect people to jump up on the wagon, and take sides.

I will have to see what I can do from a legal end to help this person along. Or either, just let it go. It's hard to have to sit back and watch what is happening, and yes, I am affected by a particular someone, and their actions in the matter. This situation affects the financial stablity of my family.

Especially since it is from someone that was suppose to be trustworthy.

I do appreciate the advice from the person who recommended going to get some 'legal' advice... This may be our only recourse.

I wish I could say more...and I didn't do this to get a rise out of anyone.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do in the meantime.

Alot of questions brought to our attention? I wouldn't continue to do business if they weren't telling the truth.It will catch up with them in business or someone who isn't in business.With this being said I have lost 4 friends for lies,being disrespectful and just downright rude and belligerent this year.It suits me fine.Their loss, my gain.I don't need liars in my group. I walked with a clean slate.It was so bad a business would bad mouth people that didn't agree with what was said.I would be so embarrassed when they talked bad the minute the people walked out the door.Unprofessionalism.The customers had to hear it. I don't like or will deal with those kind of business people. Also this business was very mean to people who had hard times. I am a compassionate person and care about people.I want to treat them the way I want to be treated like was mentioned earlier in this post.

I was selling my candles.These Business people were always first to choose my candles.Was told will pay you later.I said FINE.That never happened.Next time I see the people I am Thanked for the candle.We enjoyed it for the holidays.As if a gift??Needless to say many more lies and deceit have taken place and now history.I never took advantage of them but that small amount of money got to me.To insinuate I gave it away.I guess I was at my brink to say " I will not take any more".I work real hard and that candle meant alot to me but more important the lie did me in. They always said to me"Do you really think you can make it.Well not with customers like them.

I have also found in the last few months that people with money are more apt to take you for a ride than those who don't have money.Here I was owed for a candle and a young mother owed me $50.00.Guess who paid.The young mother who lived in a small place and was in bad shape. Those are the ones I want for friends.Those you can trust.It brought tears to my eyes when she was at my door with money in hand.

Sounds like a company burned you bad. I can only say to you since alot happened let go.I can tell you things will get better.As long as you are doing things right that is all that counts. You will be the one holding your head up and you won't be looking back.You will be putting your best foot forward.

LynnS