Researching for a New Candle Business

royster13

I recently signed on this board and I am going to read until my eyes fall out....Lots of great information and I thank those that have contributed for that.....My wife is looking for some sort of home based business and because I like to know enough to be dangerous I am doing most of the research.....

I also like to play with Adobe Illustrator so I have done up a sample label....Months in advance because it looks like there is quite a learning curve....

I do not have "upload" ability at this point so it can be found here.... www.vindles.com/Label.jpg

...RCS...

How wonderful! A new business venture! And how lucky is your wife the future candle maker that she doesn't even have to do her own research? You do it for her! Too cool for words :)

Good Luck! And welcome to the board.

(how'd I do?)

nice work PA! Damn nice job! :highfive:

I recently signed on this board and I am going to read until my eyes fall out...I have done up a sample label....Months in advance because it looks like there is quite a learning curve....

Jease you guys. Dude says he's been reading and will continue, is making a label months in advance, what more do you want? Not everyone starts a business in the same manner.

You have no clue who this person even is. Who knows, maybe he won't ever make a candle. Maybe he'll decide to wholesale from someone here. You never know who reads a forum and who your next prospective client might be.

Let's give the noobs a little benefit of the doubt. If they prove to be as suspected in time you can call them on it, but give it more than a couple posts. :)

Welcome Royster.

Just a bit of support for you royster. Welcome to the board.

I too start at the end where you are. I made all my contact information for my web design business a year before I even started business. I look at things from a design prospective. I already have my label design, logo, etc for my soap company and I'm not anywhere close to selling it yet. It's just to much fun designing. :)

Again, welcome to the board. Take everything you read with a grain of salt. What works for some, might not work for others. And some folks tend to get a bit "sensitive" if they think you are going to fast for their speed. (ducking) Don't worry, they'll get over it.

Thank you......

I ordered a starter kit from Bitter Creek Candle Supply and one way or another we will make at least 10 pounds of candles....Hopefully they will at least be good enough for gifts if not good enough to sell.....

Not being one to waste my money I have been to every supplier site I can find and have been reading anything I can....Time will tell whether or not it works.....Also, as a former insurance adjuster I am well aware of doing things right....

I hope to contribute in what ever way I can...I have a marketing based business and will welcome the opportunity to contribute to discussions on that subject....And threads involving insurance as well (although it is a little different in Canada)....

...RCS...

I just received my starter kit from Bitter Creek tonight...landed on my porch by UPS about 9pm. I'll make my first candle probably this weekend and with all the info I've read on these boards, by the time I've tested all the lovely FO's I ordered :drool: , there won't be any wax, wicks or FO left to give anything as a gift. :eek: .

Like you, I've researched these boards almost daily for the past 3 months...until my eyeballs feel like they're bleeding. I enjoy the research and learning from the pros here. I'm also a website designer and since graphic design is what I do, it's easy to jump ahead in planning a new business name, logo, labels, business cards and marketing strategie. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it...and, like you, I still plan to properly test candles and go about this in a slow, [somewhat] affordable manner. Meantime, designing is fun, isn't it? Nice label :D !!

WELCOME!

Yep, I started thinking about labels and websites before I made anything too. I found it relaxing to fiddle around on the computer designing. Can't stand at the kitchen counter all the time. I have a laptop and sitting here listening to the radio and planning makes me feel like I'm doing something toward my end goal instead of vegging out in front of the T.V. Beside that, I get bored easily and, for me, it help to move around from one thing to another.

Aloha Royster.....welcome to you newest addiction (okay, your wife's newest addiction...it will affect you, too, trust me! )

Bittercreek sells quality products and offers outstanding customer service. You and the wife will have fun working/learning on your initial and exploratory creations. You chose well.

Glad to see you have a grasp on creating labels, as the image that you eventually choose will be a contributor to your success or failure. No doubt you will go through many generations of labels before deciding on one that 'speaks' to your needs. :)

Jump in and get involved on this board. There are many of us here who feel as I do -- we all were beginners once. Sounds like you have the tenacity, detail orientation, focuse and heart to go the course, should this be what you decide is the direction you choose.

Once again.....welcome. :)

Hi there Royster and welcome. I too am a newbie. I spent about 5 months reading practically every candlemaking website to gain knowledge and information. I just made my first candles this weekend, haven't burned them yet as they are curing. Like you though, I too started thinking about the other end of candlemaking. Websites, shopping cart, logo design, image, labels, tags, packaging, the list goes on.

If like me you're strapped for cash then working on other aspects of your new business-to-be whilst you're getting your money saved up makes sense. Not everyone has a wad of credit cards or a substantial disposable income. If anything it keeps you focussed on your ultimate aim of having a successful home based business. Once you have your winning formula for your candles then your set to go.

Everybody works in different ways, it doesn't mean it's wrong, just shows that we are all individuals. What works for one may not work for someone else.

That's me off of my soapbox.

Ruby

Hello Royster,

Wecome aboard.

I see you are from BC. Have you found Wicks and Wax in Burnaby yet? www.wicksandwax They are the largest local supplier in BC. They carry general supplies as well as wax... paraffin, soy, palm and beeswax. John and Mary are both great to deal with. Have fun and don't spend too much. Also, beware of UPS charges from the US. I don't order from any suppliers who won't ship by Post. UPS will kill you with brokerage fees.

Janette

P.S.-Lynden House International, in Alberta is also good to deal with. They have some good scents. Wicks and wax's scents aren't so great btw.

Have fun and don't spend too much.

I agree with the Have fun part! You will for sure! But on the not spending too much...well...that one may happen...happens to me All the time! LOL

Welcome to the Board! read read read, then try something then read read read and try something again...that's pretty much how it's going to work!

Welcome to you and your wifes new addiction!

Kim

How wonderful! A new business venture! And how lucky is your wife the future candle maker that she doesn't even have to do her own research? You do it for her! Too cool for words :)

Good Luck! And welcome to the board.

(how'd I do?)

My husband loves to do research, I don't......is there anything wrong with that?

Janette.....I have the good fortune of being located just minutes from the US so I get all my US parcels over there and clear them into Canada myself.....For those that do not know, if the shipper has not made arrangements for brokerage, UPS charges C$35.00 or more in fees to collect taxes and duties on trans border shipments....And sometimes the taxes and duties are only a few dollars....RCS....

Janette.....I have the good fortune of being located just minutes from the US so I get all my US parcels over there and clear them into Canada myself.....For those that do not know, if the shipper has not made arrangements for brokerage, UPS charges C$35.00 or more in fees to collect taxes and duties on trans border shipments....And sometimes the taxes and duties are only a few dollars....RCS....

Hello there and welcome.

I was wondering about that myself. There's a lot of suppliers in the U.S. who do not use USPS. How would I go about clearing the shipments myself....becoming my own broker.

Sorry to go off topic.

Your wife is a lucky lady. When I told my husband I was going to start making soaps and candles....first words out of his mouth was "I don't want anything to do with it!" Talk about support system....LOL You will have great fun in researching and in making the product.

SP :cheesy2:

She is "bigger", "meaner" and much "better looking" than me so I pretty much go with the flow.....lol.....

As far as brokering yourself.....You can do that if you are close to the US or a "bond" warehouse....If you can go across to the US you just pick up your parcels at a UPS depot and present it at Canada Customs when you come back....Make sure you have complete invoices or they will not clear you package.....

As an alternative you can see if you can find a logsitics company....They will recieve your packages in the US, transport them to Canada and store them in a "bond" warehouse.....You then take the paperwork to Canada Customs and clear the package....Once it has been cleared you go to the "bond" warehouse and pickup the package....They charge you some for the transport from Canada to the US but it should be far less than what UPS would charge...

FYI there is a logistics company in London ON that should be able to help you out....Just not sure of their name so you might need to phone around.....If I can figure out who they are, I will let you know....

....RCS...

Shouldn't this be www.wickyourwax.com ?

Nevermind lol...I just realized why the page didn't come up...you left off the .com sorry!

Hello Royster,

Wecome aboard.

I see you are from BC. Have you found Wicks and Wax in Burnaby yet? www.wicksandwax They are the largest local supplier in BC. They carry general supplies as well as wax... paraffin, soy, palm and beeswax. John and Mary are both great to deal with. Have fun and don't spend too much. Also, beware of UPS charges from the US. I don't order from any suppliers who won't ship by Post. UPS will kill you with brokerage fees.

Janette

P.S.-Lynden House International, in Alberta is also good to deal with. They have some good scents. Wicks and wax's scents aren't so great btw.