Crystal Rock Potpourri

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, mods please move it.

I was wondering about the Crystal Rock Potpourri. What size and type works for this. I saw this at a craft show over a year ago and really like the looks of them. I was approched by my little ones teacher and she asked if I could do a craft with the kids the first week of December and it be something for them to give their parents for the Holidays. I got to thinking that this would be something that would be easy enough to do with a class of 24. I would already have them colored and scented and let them scoop whatever color and scent into the jars and if they want to mix scents and colors that would be fine as well. Is there any sort of tricks to this stuff?? Thanks in advance.

Tammie

Tammie I would not worry about the scent, do what I do I have bags of the bigger stuff at my shop and Saturadys when my son invites friends down about once a month, I drag it out with some soap dyes and I mix up little cups of dyes and let them dip them just like easter eggs then the put them on paper towels to dry and then I let them decorate my shop for the day with them. About an hour before they go home I drag out the construction paper or card board and let them glue there wonderful colored rocks in any design they want and sent them home with them for Mom and Dad.

Vicky, what type of rock is used for this???

btw, this is a great idea. Thank You!

Tammie I would not worry about the scent, do what I do I have bags of the bigger stuff at my shop and Saturadys when my son invites friends down about once a month, I drag it out with some soap dyes and I mix up little cups of dyes and let them dip them just like easter eggs then the put them on paper towels to dry and then I let them decorate my shop for the day with them. About an hour before they go home I drag out the construction paper or card board and let them glue there wonderful colored rocks in any design they want and sent them home with them for Mom and Dad.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large bag of this that I haven't used. Completely forgot I had it! There weren't any instructions sent with it and I see the company that I ordered it fromm no longer sells it. Can someone tell me if you add the FO to the dye and then dip or do you soak the rocks in the FO, dry and then dip in dye? I don't have large amount of soap dyes on hand. Can I dilute the dye in water and dip the rocks?

On the site that is posted on this thread they say:

Making Salt Crystal Potpourri is a simple process. The main decision is the coloring of the crystals. There are 4 different methods for coloring:

Liquid Based - This coloring will dry the best.

Glycerin Based – This will give the crystals a translucent color.

Mica Powder - Gives the salt an opalescent color.

Water Rinsed – Gives the salt crystals a "glass like" appearance.

Liquid or glycerin colorant fragrance can be hand applied to the crystals using rubber gloves. Apply fragrance and color. Lay crystals out on parchment to dry.

If you use mica powder you need to shake the crystal in a plastic bag and then mist with your fragrance or essential oil.

Water Rinsed - Simply rinse the crystals and let dry for a "glass like" appearance and then mist with your fragrance or essential oil.

As for the exact process, whether you can dilute or not, I would just email them, they would know. hth