Making ur own wicks..new question

Cant remember the website now, but they have the 600 series spool of wick.Im looking for a paper wick that will give me a better burn and less smoke than zinc-core wick.Just tired of soot on my jars. And yes I keep the wicks trimmed. Any who, I e-mailed them for a sample. Anyone have any luck with the 600 series?

Well this is where you have to decide what is worth more to you. I pay double my cost in wick assemlies now that I get them pre-made for me. They cost me .02 when I assembled them myself. I now pay .04 ea.

Let me tell you, making your ownis tedious and time consuming. I also had trouble pinching the wicks. (A machine does this correctly in the pre-made assemblies). Yes you have to prime each one. Especially for containers.

IMO save yourself the time and trouble, pay the extra couple of cents, use your time for something more productive, and less messy.

50/50 here. I buy 6 inch wick assemblies, but my container is 3 inches high, so I snip them in half and re-crimp the end.

It's a little effort, and I only save a penny per wick, but I just can't stand to throw them away.

Boyd

I do the same as Boyd, but last time a bought 30,000 wicks and had them made 9" long for the same price... so I can get 3, 3 inch wicks. Bad thing is the wick tabs cost almost as much as the whole 9" wick and tab together, so I guess Im not gaining anything. I bought 30 or 40 pounds of wick tabs from missys when they sold out and get them way cheap. Now I may have to rethink the whole deal. Bruce

I do the same as Boyd, but last time a bought 30,000 wicks and had them made 9" long for the same price... so I can get 3, 3 inch wicks. Bad thing is the wick tabs cost almost as much as the whole 9" wick and tab together, so I guess Im not gaining anything. I bought 30 or 40 pounds of wick tabs from missys when they sold out and get them way cheap. Now I may have to rethink the whole deal. Bruce
I haven't researched it but I gotta think you can still get them cheap, seeing as you use a lot of them. How about a manufacturer like Wick n Clip, or a big distributor like Wicks Unlimited. Maybe even Bill Binder @ Candlewic would give you a good price on a shiteload of tabs. No?

Thanks for all the replys.:D .I was getting deperate so I looked up BCN and ordered ( first time) 20mm votive wicks. Cheaper than LS where I usually get them. Called yesterday, received them today . Very fast shipping.But.....................wrong wicks..30mm.:sad2: .Talked to a lady( very nice), she says that she has customers that use 30mm tabs on votives. Very big bottoms,Ive never seen these before.Any one use these?????? Do you think that the tab itself will get hot towards the bottom when the wax disppates, shatter glass??????

I like the idea of making my own, since I can make them any size I want and not have to waste any wick.

However, last week I made 72 wicks for an order and my hand was sooo sore after crimping all of them and then I still had to prime all of them. I dont think I will be making my own for very much longer.

Candlewic has a great offer on their site that you can custom build yoru own wick, I think I will just do it that way from now on.

I haven't researched it but I gotta think you can still get them cheap, seeing as you use a lot of them. How about a manufacturer like Wick n Clip, or a big distributor like Wicks Unlimited. Maybe even Bill Binder @ Candlewic would give you a good price on a shiteload of tabs. No?

I know I saw them by the "drum" lol as in 55 gallon drum for a cheap price somewhere. The ones Binder has are not that cheap, 5# bags are still over 30.00 for the 40# price break. Based on $6.00 a pound and about 600 tab per pound its better to just have them build me the whole wick and tab assembly for 1 cent when they are on sale by the 10 thousand lots.

Most of the manufactures dont list their prices so Im not sure about their prices, but I would have thought Binder would have been cheaper than what hes selling them at. I think I got these closeout tabs im using now for a couple of dollars a pound which was a good price.

Bruce

Bruce