Question re customer issue

MarsBars

I recently had a customer purchase some bath & body products from me online. I received an email stating that she broke out in a rash and asked me if I use parabens. I replied that I did and it is clearly stated on the ingredient label on the product. I also have it state in my policy/terms of use page that they must test before they use, read ingredient label etc. I offered her credit on her next order for the shower gels that have parabens. Now she wants me to offer her free shipping. Should I? I don't think I'm at fault here but then again on the side of customer service perhaps I should? I haven't replied yet......any suggestions? How would you have handled this?

Hmmm...It sounds like you've done your job and told her what was in it before she used it and tol dher to test it. It's not your fault she didn't test it. It also sounds like you're being more than generous about this whole ordeal. I would stick with just the credit because it cost you to ship it didn't it? If she's still unhappy well you can please some people some of the time, others you can't please anytime. Goodluck!

Hmmm...I find this one interesting...

A person who is allergic to things tends to look for those ingredients before using the product (or eating the food). If she knows she's allergic to parabens, I think she would be checking your site first, possibly contacting you to ask before ordering and at the very least, she would check the label for listed ingredients before using it.

Something seems off to me, JMO

If she's not happy with the credit towards a future purchase, tell her your counter offer is for her to return the product at her expense and when you recieve it, you will refund her money back to her (excluding the return shipping).

This does sound fishy and I'd bet she's trying to get a deal from you, just because she can.

Personally for me, 1 customer out of how many, I would either give her a full refund, or ship her free equal value of products. In 3 years I have had one complaint, through one of my wholesale accounts, we both agreed the woman was a nutcase, I told them to take the product back, give her a full refund and I would replace it. I have too many other things to be stressed out about in running a business then one luney. Don't take it personally, I use to I don't anymore.

this is of course her fault, and not yours, however if it were me Id do it, customers our our means of surviving in this biz

( or means to buy more fo:yay: )

perhaps tell her that your sorry for her troubles and this one time because you value her as a customer you will eat the shipping, but jokingly tell her to read the label first, just to let her know that you assume no responsibilty for the incident.

just a thought, but then again im a softy:cry2:

I want to thank all of you who have replied! I appreciate you insight, it certainly helps to get expert opinion.

I think I will take the high ground and give her the free shipping, and also politely remind her to read the ingredient labels first. Maybe I've just gained a customer (or a scammer?) ;)

Yeah it sounds fishy to me too, but then again I'm skeptical of alot of things anyway. If I'm allergic to certain things, I would def. check to make sure the product doesn't contain those certain things. If you are allergic to milk are you going to eat ice cream without checking what's in it? I know bad example but you KWIM.

Did I read this right? She's allergic to parabens and she wants the item replaced with a shower gel that contains parabens? If she's allergic to it why would she want more?

I received an email stating that she broke out in a rash and asked me if I use parabens. I replied that I did and it is clearly stated on the ingredient label on the product.
offered her credit on her next order for the shower gels that have parabens.

I bet she's used this tactic before. :yes:

I'm with Trish, if she has known allergies to certain products she wouldn't have bought from you without extensive questioning.

Can you say SCAMMER!!!??

On that note, you need to do what you feel comfortable with.