Votive Wicks

I've recently started making votives and i think they're very cool. They look very cute and are great for testing out colours and scents (so i can get an idea on if i actually like the scent/colour before i start testing!)

Anyway i got the clear votive moulds from candle wic which are a bit bigger than ordinary votives and am having a hard time trying to find some wicks for them. There seems to be loads of different types of votive wicks and no explanation of how their different, apart from whether they're zinc/cotton cored etc. Anyway I was wandering if people could help me with three things, so i don't waste my money buying lots of unsuitable things.

1. Does anyone else use the clear candlewic votive moulds and if so, what wick do you use?

2. What type of core do people find better for votives?

3. Does anyone know what all the numbers mean after the votive wick, like 34-40 or 36-24-24?

Thanks in advance

Oh and i'm just using straight paraffin, no additives

Yeah, there are a lot of posts out there. I don't use the candlewic molds so I can't really help with that, but I will say you will be able to add more FO and get a better throw by adding vybar to your straight paraffin.

Well i've done a search for wicking votives, but its not really answered my questions.

What is the best type of core to use and what do all the numbers mean in the name (i'm talking about pretabbed votive wicks). I just want to know how they're all different and then i can choose a few i think that are best, rather than just buyin them all and finding half of them are useless!

The thing is the moulds i'm using are slightly bigger than ordinary votive moulds and so i need a wick that's for slightly bigger candles!

What people choose for wicks as far as which kind they use is really personal decision. If you look at the charts say zincs for istance for votives they have 36 and 2 44 sizes. If I were you I would go one size up from the size you used for the regular votives, if that doesn't work go up another size. Zincs burn cool, cottons burn hotter. Maybe some sample packs would be the way to go. Would love to see some pics of these votives as I have never used these molds.

Ok, Thanks for the help, think i'll give zinc a try first then, if it burns cooler. Is the size 36 the usual size then? Should i give 44 a go first, not sure where to buy wick sample packs, and as i'm from the UK, it'll need to be a UK friendly and decent postage seller! LOL!

The moulds are from candlewic

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=cVotive+Molds

I bought them cause they were cheaper than the metal ones, and i think they're great! I have to admit i do like clear moulds as they do go shinier and u can see the colour kinda b4 they come out!

See 36zs work fine for me and my applications MOST of the time. Heavier FOs I use a 44.

There's stuff around here somewhere about what all the numbers mean. It might be on the old board. I can tell you it was RobininOr who posted, so that might help narrow the search down till I find the time to do any looking for it myself.

One number is the size (number of threads used), and one is the kind of machine it was used on to make ... or something of that nature. I will have to look, but it's out there either through google or on the old CT board for sure. I remember bookmarking it and then losing all my bookmarks.