Joy wax concern...

Hi..I am having trouble with sinkholes around the wicks with a new case of Joy wax I just opened. Never happened before. I tried heating the jars and it didn't help. I have been heat gunning the tops and find deep holes around the wicks as it melts down. What kind of trouble are you having? Have you contacted NG? Ruby

Hi Ruby!

I am inquiring since I wanted to try the Joy wax again. I read awhile back that people were having problems with it, and I do not want to invest a ton of money in testing "again", if the Joy wax has changed for the worse. I still have some Joy wax I bought around 1 - 1 1/2 years ago and love this formula! I wanted to be able to purchase the "same" wax; not inherit a ton of problems. Wish I could help ya, but from your response I see things may not have changed with the Joy wax dilemma. Why do manufacturers always have to mess with a good thing? :angry2:

Hey, Real,

I am just new to candle making and Joywax, but during my testing over the past three-four months I have not noticed any holes around the wicks during the burn. For me, the formula sets perfectly each and every time, but I do not know how good the formula was a few years ago!

Maybe just getting a slab to play with would be a good idea?

sandi

A few months back there were some problems with the Joy wax and concerns about the Joy wax having changed...are there still problems and concerns regarding the Joy wax? Any input would be appreciated. TIA

I had a case that I ordered a few weeks ago and just yesterday I made a small batch. No problems. They look fine. I didn't noticed anything different at all. I guess maybe I should feel lucky about that.

I bought some recently and I'm not having any problems with it at all. I've been using it for about 2 years now and I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I usually don't have that kind of luck...

If you like, I could send you a little bit so that you can try it....Just let me know.

Wendy

I am using (finishing up) a case that I purchased a couple months ago and YES it has changed. It appears to me as if this versus the older version has either more paraffin in it or more additives and less soy. I have also noticed that I have to wick down on most of my scents compared to the older version. I myself prefer the older version, they should have left it alone. It wasn't broke, so they shouldn't try to fix it.

I have ALWAYS gotten the sink hole around the wick in my 8oz sq masons and 16 oz masons, even with the older version. So, this isn't anything new for me. I have a couple #'s of 4627 that someone gave me and I'm gonna give it a shot and compare the two waxes and see which one gives me the best results. UGHHHHHHHH more darn testing, the life of a candlemaker.:yay: Portia

Yep. I bought a case recently and hadn't known about the issues still going on......I went on a candle pouring spree and poured nearly the whole case before I found out they were still having issues. You should see my ugly, frosted, cracking candles. I am beyond peeved! :mad: These were for a show, too! I read on their site that you are supposed to add Crisco to your wax at one ounce per pound of wax. With the little bit of wax remaining, I am going to try the Crisco thing and see if it works. It's a shame when you have to add additives to a "NO ADDITIVES NEEDED" product! Don't get me wrong, I love NG and buy quite a bit of stuff from them, but they sure got my panties in a twist over this one! :angry2:

edited to add: sinkholes have always been a problem with this wax but I accepted it because of the awesome scent throw both hot/cold. BUT, with these other issues, my wax is so cracked and ugly it actually looks like the jar itself is cracked in spots! I miss the old Joy! :o(

I tested this wax and loved it. A friend of mine also purchased the Joy and we were exchanging e-mails to compare results. Two totally different results!I contacted NG customer service and asked if I purchased this wax again would I get wax from the same batch as my first order. I was told no! That would explain why my friend and I had completly different results. It's ashame because the first wax I ordered was really a good product. I know that the addition of any additive can sometimes effect the size wick used. I am not sure if adding Crisco would effect my wicks. I know that adding Crisco when I made paraffin candles increased the soot(IMO). I can't afford the time or money involved in re-testing and possibly re-wicking only to have to do the same thing all over again when they get another batch. I wouldn't be able to provide my customers with products in a reasonable time frame. They would just purchase elsewhere.

I have ordered from other companies that test the next batch of wax LONG before they sell out of the current batch being sold. That way they can work with their supplier and correct problems long before it causes a problem for their customers. That didn't seem to be the case here.

On a side note...I was also very disappointed with the customer service department at NG. The questions I asked were not completely answered and I got the impression from the answers I received that the people I spoke to have very limited experience in candle making. Maybe they are just new to the customer service dept. but I can't waste any more time with the holidays approaching.

Thanks to all who took their precious time to answer my Joy wax concern.

Thanks Wendy for your offer to send me some Joy wax to try; I appreciate it.

I took Sandi's advice and ordered a slab of it and will be testing it as soon as it arrives. I am using it as a mixer, so hopefully, I will not run into the problems others are facing. Keeping fingers crossed!

Have a GREAT weekend all! :yay: