Glitter in Candles

Hello

Does anyone know how you can put glitter in candles? I've tried several ways already. When i added glitter to the wax itself, it either all sank to the bottom, or when it did stay suspended in the wax (when i used finer candle glitter) it clogged the wick and the candle didn't burn as well.

I also tried adding glitter to wax as an overdip, but the glitter all clumped together and went on the candle in a very messy clumpy way. When i tried just dipping the candle in wax and then rolling it in glitter, it didn't go on very evenly and looked a bit messy! I tried the overdipping at lots of temperatures and just used ordinary paraffin wax mixed with the glitter.

Am I doing summit wrong? Or is there any other ways of having glittery candles?

Thanks

Had a look at the old threads, but only one method seemed to be suitable for my pillars, that was sprinkling on some glitter and getting your heat gun to melt the wax and absorb the glitter. Has anyone tried this? How glittery are the candles after? I want really glittery candles and i'm still tryin to convince my dad to lend me his heat gun, so does anyone know any other ways?

Thanks

:smiley2:

It has been tried and they are glittery....but guess it all depends upon what you call glittery.....try rolling your pillar in glue then roll in glitter - or better yet try using modge podge....or try dipping it in wax then rolling in glitter - that might get it where you want it to be....course I don't know what will happen when you burn it (with glue or modge podge) so watch it carefully!

I recently bought some 'shimmer dust' from Aroma Haven and phoned them to ask for directions on how to apply to a pillar candle. They suggested mixing a bit in with some modge podge and then painting on. Tried this but even though the podge dries clear, it kinda settled in the chunks on the outside of the candle. Just did a search as suggested and saw Donita´s (the queen of glitter) post on using the heat gun.:wink2: Followed her instructions (made a mess first time), but got it down the second. :highfive: Maybe your Dad could supervise you the first couple of times with the heat gun. It is best if you have a heat gun that has various temp. settings. Try the modge podge, it is not too bad. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. What is modge podge? I've never heard of it before and where can i get it from in the UK. I was thinking if i had glitter on the outside it would be more like shell which didnt burn, and the light of the candle would shine through and make it all shiny!

I did try the dipping candle and rolling it in glitter and it was just too messy!

Thanks again for the help

:smiley2:

I have been doing glitter candles for years.....all of the teenage students of mine loved it too....my grandson thinks that is the most fun part of making a candle.....he plans his glitter days in advance. I just micro polyester glitter from Jones Tones. I like all colors but mostly use the rainbow. I buy big big bottles of the stuff. I just heat the candle slightly ..sprinkle on the glitter sparingly and then slowly lower the heat gun until I see the glitter "set up"....you will see it....quickly move the heat gun and it won't melt the candle. Then turn the candle and keep glittering. Hope this helps. Donita

ok, I tried the glitter spray on a votive. I sprayed too close and too much in some spots.

It goes on wet and then dries to glitter. I have silver spray and it didn't show up very good on a light green candle.

This will take some practice.

Linda Nelson