Sinkholes

Can anyone explain why I'm getting sinkholes in my container candles. I poured at the slushy stage using KY 125, I even took care to pour them slowly. I've fixed them with the heat gun. I just wanted to know if its me or just something I'll have to get used to?

TIA

In my experience, the deeper or wider the jar, the more likely you are to get sinkholes. If you poke relief holes in the candle and melt it on the top with a heatgun, that usually fixes it. I don't get them as bad using the beeswax, but still get them sometimes to some degree.

There are many variables that can cause sink holes. Some waxes are really more prone than others in my experience. My 50/50 cannot be poured past the neck of the jars--where it starts to come in--or sink hole city. If we pour right at that point, it is just fine. Go figure.

My soy will get sink holes if we pour too hot, or move/bump the jars.

What jars are you using? That may be the culprit.

J

When I used KY125 I had this problem only if the jars were larger (adding BW IMO made it worse I think because of the higher temp you would naturally pour at as opposed to omiting it). Jars were =>16 oz. The inner wax in the larger jars stayed hotter longer. I just poked and made sure to refill in those jars.

I poke mine about 3 or 4 hours after I pour them, but you should just poke them after the candle is getting solid. After it has gotten solid all the way through ( I ususally leave them sit overnight), I heat gun the top and it melts the wax down into the relief holes and gives me a smooth top.

There are many variables that can cause sink holes. Some waxes are really more prone than others in my experience. My 50/50 cannot be poured past the neck of the jars--where it starts to come in--or sink hole city. If we pour right at that point, it is just fine. Go figure.

My soy will get sink holes if we pour too hot, or move/bump the jars.

What jars are you using? That may be the culprit.

J

this is very true about where the jar starts to come in. Plus I also think it has a little to do with the wax type. When I used Joy Wax I always had sink holes, but with MP123 and pouring right to the neck, I never experience sink holes.