FPV / KY pillar / votive wax

Is there an easier way to postion the wick when making the FPV ?

What I have been doing is pour a little wax in the botton of the votive cup and center my

wick and let it set up, but I'm having trouble getting it to stay in the center of the votive

cup when I finish pouring the rest of the wax in the FPV.

Would like to know how all of you have soloved this problem, any help at all is

appericated

The best suggestion I have for you is get some votive wick pins. They are much easier to work with. Just put the wick pin in the votive mold before pouring and then pop the cooled votive into the freezer for a few minutes and gently slide the pin out and you will have a perfectly centered hole for a wick.

If you don't want to go that route, you can use those self centering 31.8mm wick tabs on your choice of votive wicking. I'll give you the link to them:

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/WICKTAB318MMA

No I'm not using wick pins

Are there different sizes of wick pins ? I didn't think the regular votive wick pins would be big enough for the 4oz Flower Pot Votives. I thought they were only for the small metal votive molds.

Thanks for the link on the self centering wick tabs mystical, apperciate the offer.

I didnt know that FPV meant Flower Pot Votive... LMAO! :D

If you are already securing the wick with a bit of wax, I would then pour in the rest of the wax to fill and secure it with a clothespin.

You can also pour the wax in until its completely full, then drop your wicks in them and secure the top with whatever you choose. Wait a few minutes after pouring and the wick tab WILL adhere to the bottom of the glass believe it or not. I used to do this before I used wick pins.

My votive wick pins fit perfectly in the flower pots. Even though they are bigger at the top, the base is the same size as the bottom of a regular votive. Of course, I can't make actual votives with these because I can never get them unmolded, but that's another story.:rolleyes2 All the ones I have gotten have a small lip at the top edge that keeps the votive from dropping out, so I just use them for container candles and glue my tab to the bottom as usual.

The trouble is after I secure the wick in the bottom with some wax, and then when I finish pouring the rest of the wax the wick moves, I tried using a clothespin but it moves then the wick is off centered, I going to try your secound suggestion, it sounds as though it might work a little better.

Will the wick pins work in the FPV ?

I appreciate the help. Can I ask you another question ? I having trouble with coming up with a mulberry color, cranberry color and a cinnamon color. Can you give me some suggestion for them. I'm using KY pure soy with dye flakes and liquid dyes.

It is very hard to achieve dark colors in 100% soy.

If you mix some KY Parasoy in with the KY Soy and use the burgundy liquid dye you can do it. I did this by accident and had some LOVELY dark colors. Now its what I do if I need a dark, rich color in a candle.

I usually use the brown with a little touch of orange/red for the cinnamon color.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing glass FPV and do them just like candles.I center the wick, use a stick-um and it is fine.Only made a few of the votives but prefer the flower pot votive.Seemed that my other votives would burn so fast.Will try again but like this simple way for now.

Making tarts was a breeze but the votives are more work.When you get the knack they are easy but for now the glass votive cups are fine.

Get some of those wooden scweres (I hate that word! Can't spell it to save myself! Those giant wooden toothpick thinggy's you use to make shish ka-bobs!) Cut them a little longer than the width of you votives; get those teeny black rubber bands (100 for like a buck); take two sticks together, secure each end with the rubber bands, secure the wick between the two sticks. This dosen't read like it makes much sense. If you just try it, you'll start to see what i mean. (Wish I could figure out how to post a picture!)

Gretchen