Pricing candles

littysmom

Here are what my prices are going to be when I start selling.

4 oz Quilted Jelly Jar - $3.00

8 oz Quilted Jelly Jar - $6.00

8 oz Ball Elite Platinum Jar (Wickless for candle warmers) - $7.00

16 oz Golden Harvest Canning Jar - $9.00

That's all I make so far. Haven't tried other jars or other types of candles or tarts yet.

Where I live my prices will have to be reasonable.

That sounds way under priced to me.

My husband takes care of the pricing and hes so scared that if we are high that we wont sell...so many people are buying cause they say its so low! I cannot raise it now...Im getting ready to do fund rasiers and Im scared I wont make what I should. Guess I should have done more research LOL

I think both of you (candlecrazyinwv & TxGirl) are both selling yourselves short. ;)

If you're using quality oils, waxes, etc. and have done your testing on all your sizes and fragrances then you should demand higher prices. After all, these are HAND MADE candles, not mass produced, throw some scent in some wax and slap a wick in it jars right??

Right now, my rule of thumb is basically, all of my sizes sell for a $1 more than the ounces they hold. So my 6oz tins (which really hold 5oz. wax) sell for $6 or 3 for $15, etc.

It's up to you and obviously your area, but if you add up how much it costs to make one candle of any given size, you should at LEAST be selling it for double that, IMO.

The hardest part about pricing is figuring out how to be competitive, but you also need to make money on this. When I first started I underpriced myself big time. It is always easier to lower prices. Before I sold my first candle, I went to area craft shows and small family owned stores and looked at the prices and quality of what other people were selling. I perfected my product to stand out above the others. At craft shows I do tend to offer deals. If you are stuck selling your candles now at a lower than desired price, let your customer know that you are selling it to them now at wholesale as an "introductory price." This way it leaves room for you to raise prices without raising eyebrows.

The hardest part about pricing is figuring out how to be competitive, but you also need to make money on this. When I first started I underpriced myself big time. It is always easier to lower prices. Before I sold my first candle, I went to area craft shows and small family owned stores and looked at the prices and quality of what other people were selling. I perfected my product to stand out above the others. At craft shows I do tend to offer deals. If you are stuck selling your candles now at a lower than desired price, let your customer know that you are selling it to them now at wholesale as an "introductory price." This way it leaves room for you to raise prices without raising eyebrows.

That is really good advice! ;)

I worry that no one will buy them if I put much more price on them. I haven't started selling yet. I do hate the idea of selling them cheap, but honestly they are probably worth way more to me than they would be to anyone else because I know how much work and effort I've put into them. Which almost makes me want to just make them for me only. LOL I have a lot of thought to put into it before I do sell any. I just think that being that they are worth more to me than anyone else, that people will think, "Oh I can buy 3 for that price at Walmart" simply because they have no idea the work and quality.

TXGirl, hon, we've all had those fears and when you have mass producers like Walmart, Target, etc., they are a level of competition for us but just because it is handcrafted does not mean it is cheaply made. A candle lover is a candle lover and when you find a scent you like in a package you like, you will pay whatever the price is on it. If a potential customer says they can get a better deal at Walmart, let them. You will get your own loyal cutomers who will see that mass produced candles aren't nearly as nice as what you are making with your heart & soul.

TxGirl, I understand your concern about nobody wanting to buy if the price is too high. But Debscent is right in that a diehard candle fan will pay whatever you ask. If you're not sure what your market will bear, you could start off with an introductory offer price which is slightly lower than what you will eventually be charging. The advantage of pricing a little higher is so that you can have a sale every now and then. If you price them exactly at what you need to break even, you won't be able to afford putting them on sale.

If someone came up to my candle display and said I could buy 3 of these from Walmart for that price - I would give them directions to the nearest Walmart store without even thinking twice about it.

One lady complained about my prices, then bought a candle at a Dollar Tree, took it home and burned it, She hasnt complained since....

Well, honestly once someone tries a homemade quality candle they will surely never go back to store bought. That was my experience. I had a neighbor that had just started making them before I moved and even her being a newbie, they were awesome. She had given me 2 to try. They burned too hot and sooted like crazy, but they smelled awesome! I'm sure she has gotten much better by now. ;)

The most expensive candle I have is a hurricane that came from Bath and Body Works ($20.00) and I can honestly say that mine smell even better. :)

But the point I'm making, I do have one (LOL) is that I had no idea how much better homemade candles are until I had tried one. I figure a lot of people just don't know and so they might say that about the price.