Epson Inkjet Printer / Waterproof? Smudgeproof? They claim to be.

Funky Monkey

I got to looking last night for an option for labels. I have an injet and don't want to buy a laser. From what I've been reading, the Durabright ink (for Epson's) are somewhat waterproof and smudgeprooft. Any else use an Epson with this type ink? I'm very curious to see if it really does hold up.

TIA!

I have an Epson with Durabrite inks and love it. I've actually gotten the entire label WET and it doesn't smear. IMO, definitely worth it for the price!

I think there are a few threads about these printers that you might want to search through to see what others have said...

I have an Epson with the durabrite inks and love it. I have soaked an entire sheet of printed paper, printed labels, and printed cardstock in a tray of water overnight and nothing smeared.

HOWEVER- the paper and label stock itself gets a bit worse for wear. I was using paper labels on my B&B products and they eventually start to peel off, bubble, etc. But the printed text/graphics still look great!!!!! :D Looking at vinyl and other stocks for the B&B labels.

(I also now have an Okidata color laser that I use for most of my brochures and labels, since in the long run it ends up being cheaper per page to print. But the toner cartriges are a killer at $150 each!!!)

I do use both printers for different things.

Right now I have a stack of full-sheet vinyl labels that I WAS GIVEN FOR FREE from work. We have a print shop in one department and so they GAVE ME some from there for "testing" purposes... :D

Starting to look online at sources, haven't found one that I'm thrilled with the prices, though. For some reason, nobody can beat "free". :P

Edited to emphasize that I did not STEAL, I was GIVEN.

Right now I have a stack of full-sheet vinyl labels that I snagged for free from work. We have a print shop in one department and so I "borrowed" some from there for "testing" purposes... :D

Starting to look online at sources, haven't found one that I'm thrilled with the prices, though. For some reason, nobody can beat "free". :P

Free?:confused:

Well, I sure am glad to get the info on the Epson Durabrite inks! I'm using an Epson, so I've gotta go check the inks.

Just returned from checking, and my printer won't use those inks. I'm gonna do a test and see how this printer's labels will stand up to H2O.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was looking at a color laser, but if I could go with a much less expensive inkjet for durabrite inks, ($99 for the cheapest!) I'll go that way.

Lisa

Yeah, I updated my post to read that I was GIVEN said stack of vinyl labels, I did not steal them. :rolleyes:

I will try to be more clear on future posts, so as not to sound like I am a petty thief. :D

Sorry bout that, but you did say you "snagged them from work" with a little Hee Hee in there, so I just assumed that meant you took them without permission. :rolleyes2

Yep, my bad! That's why I wanted to clarify. My happiness was because I was excited that I got them for free- especially for my "testing"! I was able to put labels on bottles and leave them in the shower, soaking in water, etc.

You forget sometimes that things can be interpreted differently in text in a forum. And my twisted sense of humor at times doesn't help! :tiptoe:

No harm done. (Sorry to hijack the thread with the need to clear my name of petty theft charges!! :D )

• 1 month later...

I have it too and love it. I also prefer the waterproof labels but they are hard to find in all sizes. I have also noticed that when I get the waterproof labels from Labels By The Sheet I have more trouble with alignment. This drive me nuts! I can't win. I am about ready to just get my labels professionally printed -- I only print warning labels. I have tags instead of labels on the front.

I use a Epson Stylus CX7800, Printer. Copier. Film/Photo Scanner. Card Reader. with Dura Brite Ultra Inks and it works great. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=56291070

For all my labels I use White Vinyl Weatherproof Labels from Online Labels http://www.onlinelabels.com/material_vinyl_inkjet_labels.htm They are a lot more expensive but to me worth it because they look better and hold up better than paper.