Accepting ProPay

Chauna1

What I am wondering is how it works? I signed up for it but have yet to pay the fee to actually accept CC. I am trying to find out more info before I send my money in.

Anyone who could help, I would really appreciate any insight and experiences you have had dealing with ProPay. I know I will have to purchase a "knucklebuster" and the slips. Unless they come with the account.

Sorry I don't know much about it. Please Help!

TIA

Chauna

The machine doesn't come with the account - you'll need to buy the manual machine and slips. Or just the slips and write everything on it, that's a possibility too.

Once you pay your yearly fee, all you do to accept a credit card is to sign in, then enter the CC number, amount, expire date, and zip code (which you have to ask your customer for). You can enter other info like their name and address if you want. If the card is accepted the amount is put into the propay account as "processing", and they take their fees (usually .35 + 3.5%). In 3 days it will have settled, and you can then transfer your $ to your bank account (which you set up with them) for a .30-.35 fee. I usually let it sit in propay for a month then transfer a lump sum.

Very easy to use..

Here is my 2 cents. I accepted Propay years ago. I did not care for them that much. IMO their fees and percentages are too high. 3.5% is about 1 to 1.5% higher than most credit card companies out there. I prefer Auction Checkout (I believe they charge me 2.2%) and Authorize.net, both give you a virtual terminal and you can get a manual machine too. I have a virtual terminal because I hate clutter. If I ever open a shop I will jsut have a computer there as my cash register for credit card transactions :) And of course my old standby Paypal and Stormpay. I also use Telecheck so that I can accept personal checks without worrying about them bouncing like basketballs out of my bank account.:laugh2:

I just cant see paying an upfront yearly fee for anything. Or paying them to deposit money into my account. That should be a free service or included in the 3.5% they charge. Also last time I checked they had a cap on your monthly limit you could charge. There are a lot of companies out there that you can sign up for that dont cost anything up front or very little, and will provide a machine for you with a low monthly rate.

I just signed up for propay with the intention of using it at shows. If I can sell more because I accept Visa & MC, it will be well worth it. I use another method for my web sales, but the virtual terminal at 20 bucks a month was not worth the show here and there.

e

ProPay to me is a good starting point for any business. But the FEES are higher than a typical merchant account.

I had ProPay when I first started out and it definitely served me well but I quickly realized that I was going to run into the maximum in charges (they didn't offer different options when I had it) and that the fees were quickly adding up.

I have a full merchant account with www.merchantexpress.com - I could not come up with a better plan with either my bank or another local bank.