Has Anyone done a ...

HeavenScentU

a story in the local paper or magazine and received business from it? I have been approached about doing a write up in a local magazine on how I started my candle business. I am such a private person I am not sure if I would have anything of importance to say for people to read it. If anyone has done this, is it worth it??? TIA

I have never done this but I say GO FOR IT! The reporter will have plenty of questions for you and will edit your answers to make them "print-worthy." It will bring you lots of exposure and hopefully many more sales! Congratulations!!

My small town newspaper did an article and it generated some business--not tons of business, but every little bit helps.

I would give you this bit of advice, if they ask a question that you don't feel comfortable answering, then don't. Make it clear if you don't want something written about. Also, prepare a list of things you specifically would like to see mentioned in the article before you meet with the reporter. If they don't ask a question related to the thing you would like to have mentioned, bring it up and say you would like it written about.

I was naive when I was interviewed. The reporter basically took a conversational tone, asking questions about some things really not relevant to the story, that I thought she was just asking for the sake of keeping a conversation rolling--I never dreamed some of that information would be worthy or appropriate for a story concerning my store. Wrong. There it was in the paper. As I read the article I thought of plenty of things I could have talked about, but I was not prepared.

I would definitely take advantage again, if given the opportunity, and so should you--especially now that you know you can have more control in the situation!

I've been interviewed before and wished I had been a tad more prepared. (wasn't about candlemaking-- I used to model) The reporter revised my wording and stuck in little conversational tidbits that slip. Fortunately I wasn't the one that said anything too dopey-- the other girl interviewed with me came out looking very naive.

So my advice is go for it and just prepare yourself as best as you can--- and HAVE FUN! I did!

Yes I was interviewed about animal welfare and how my mom instilled this in me from when The article was also about all I do for animals and spaying and neutering.I mentioned my website and it wasn't up yet so he said when it is let me know.Well article got in before that BUT he did say in the article I do candles and other crafts and sell at craft shows in the area.

Just wish I had my site done then.The week it was in was when I got it altogether.

I was kinda backward too.A lady kept wanting to do a article and I kept avoiding it but she got another reporter to e-mail me and it wasn't bad.Just came at a time I was quitting one group and starting with another.Had even debated about giving it all up. He made it all easy although I might have said some things too that were stupid.

My postmaster's wife laminated it for me.He brought it into work and they live about 20 miles from the area I live.I am in there all the time mailing out applications so he knows the work I do all to well. TOO MUCH

LynnS

Last year I was in the area newspaper about our candles and soaps and we LOVED IT! We got some business from it but the girl came to the shop and talked with both me and my mom about our business. We were pleased and then her photographer came and took photos of our shop and things. So go for it FREE MARKETING!