Look what I just found at the Dollar Tree...Very cute. Must see.

Saw these today at the Dollar Tree. The Frankenstein holds about 8 oz. I got the Christmas mug there also.

I have a question. Obviously I want to make these into candles, but how safe would the ceramic be? Since it came from the Dollar store is it possible that it is a below grade ceramic and will be nothing but trouble later on for the person who buys it. I have heard of clay flowerpots catching on fire, though nothing about ceramic ones. Am I just overreacting? I will make one to test, so I guess if it burns okay then I will go buy some more.

Thanks,

Bob and DonnaMarie

Donna, those are real cute. Be sure to test burn all the way to the bottom. I got some cute valentine jars from Dollar General. Test went fine until I got to the bottom, then it burst into flames. Needless to say they all went into the garbage. Just a word of caution.

Ohhh! I didn't see those (they weren't done unpacking the boxes), but I did get a pumpkin jack-o-lantern guy that was ceramic. I poured wax in it and so far it's doing really well! It looks sooooo cute! I'll test burn it to the bottom and let you know if anything explodes :)

D

Those are really cute!! I used to make ceramics. Basically all ceramics is, is glazed clay. As long as there are no cracks in the glaze, they should burn ok, for at least the first burn. The high heat of the candle might cause it to crack, then it is very porous. Perhaps there was an unseen crack towards the bottom, or it might not have been properly glazed & fired that caused the candle to burst into flames. Most imported ceramics are very, very thin & won't take too much heat over & over.

PamR

ps. if you use ceramic dishes to eat on, the same is true. If you start to see cracks in the glaze, or chips, it is best to discard. Alot of the imported ceramics still contain lead.