Colored or uncolored soy candles?

I have switched back and forth so many times. I tend to always want to go back to the uncolored. Just to stay with the natural white look of soy. Its so milky and creamy looking. I am currently coloring, and will probably soon go back to uncolored. I really dont find that people care too much either way. They mostly care about the fragrance.

Currently I color my soy candles...I have been considering going to uncolored...there are a lot of benefits to leaving them au naturale. First of all, frosting is a non-issue. Then not having to purchase dyes or colorants cuts down on costs...and you can focus on developing a prettier/more unique packaging concept to enhance the candle. I may end up moving toward this yet!

As I mentioned before I do colorless soy but the benefits I'm boasting about it is that it will go with any decor and you can choose the scent you want without the fear of hating the color. For me I think my candle nose was geared towards only the colors I liked which wasn't a big range. I think I missed out on a lot of awesome scents because I didn't want hot pink, orange, blue, etc... in my house. I guess my point being is you may increase your sales going colorless because color is taken out of the decision making all together. Hope that made sense!

That absolutely makes sense. Once people can look beyond the visual aspect of having a candle that matches their decor at home, they can focus on what really matters when most are candle-shopping...and that's the fragrance! Take out the color, and then be able to purchase the scents you really want without it clashing! :wink2:

I'm still going around with this one....I think the colorless looks really classy and chic but then when I see colored candles that looks nice also. Is it more expensive to add color to a candle or is it more expensive to have more decorative packaging?

archipelago-candles-tuscany.jpg

This candle if from Archipleago is 13.5 oz and has color and great packagingand retails for $30.00

This is a blanket statement and not in direct response to the candle you posted. I have to try to find this article I read because it was really good - but many times items aren't priced as to what they actually are worth - but what they can get for them. One example they gave was software - in Asia you would pay MUCH less for the exact same piece of software that you buy here in the US.

If you ever watched the movie "Wall Street", the main character states: "The illusion has become real and the more real it becomes the more desperate they want it -- capitalism at its finest..."

So, you may find that putting a bit more money into packaging can get you a lot more profit - naturally, depending upon your clientele. :)

Yes...I agree with you Henryk...price is relative to the desire for the product. I personally would spend $30 dollars on this candle because I really like the look of it and the handy travel tag that comes with it...there is definitly value in that product for me.

However...starting a business on shoestring budget does bring some issues into play...what will get me the most attractive and best candle for my budget, would I love to have containers like the one above...you betcha...can I afford to do so at this time...um...no...so with that in mind which directions would be the best way to go...white candle with pretty box...or colored candle with regular box! :confused:

BTW....would love to read that article if you find it:wink2:

I have been hearing from several of our stores that everyone likes the uncolored soy the best. So I am going to stop coloring mine, thought I would throw that out there----

What is your new jar for your soy? Are you still using the square jar you liked so much?

Hi, I can still use my vase (morgan) jars and square footed ones, but I never quite got over the residue that is left -- not hangup but that soy wax residue. This happens more with this soy than some others. It shows more with the square footed jars because of the rounded corners and more with clear glass. I have decided that I love the look of soy in the frosted jars and love the look of the double flames (steadier flames) in the smooth rounded regular shaped apothecary jars. I would prefer the status jars for the non-colored soy but I need to double wick with this soy and want to double wick for scent throw so the status jars are not right for my soy. I will be using my 70/30 wax most likely in the status jars for another line. Since I am going to be using the frosted apothecary jars, I going to have to come up with a very eye catching label (very classy) to make the jar look classier than it really is. I will be using a frosted flat lid rather than the wooden flat lid that I have been using lately with colored soy candles. I have a frosted test jar of the square footed jar. I will test it to see if I notice the different between the frosted one and clear class one.

Anyway, I am revamping (is this the right word?) a bit. I am excited though about my decisions and changes. Thank you for asking. I hope your candle making is going well. :)

~Holly

I'm still going around with this one....I think the colorless looks really classy and chic but then when I see colored candles that looks nice also. Is it more expensive to add color to a candle or is it more expensive to have more decorative packaging?

archipelago-candles-tuscany.jpg

This candle if from Archipleago is 13.5 oz and has color and great packagingand retails for $30.00

Wow, I love the looks of that candle too. I still really do love color. That is an awesome color! They must have a special soy and/or special working conditions to get it to look that perfect -- no frost. In that kind of jar I would not like any frost even though I have learned to embrace a certain amount with the look I had. Thanks for sharing this picture.

I think you can get that exact pea-soup color by using the dye flakes from candle cocoon called "dried grass/celery green". I used them in 70/30 and GL pure soy:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6345&d=1147530308

Guess its basically an olive color - nice earth tone.

Thanks Henry. The color of your candles look really close to BCN's Bayberry green that I use. I use this for Citrus and Sage, Euc. & Spearmint, etc. Depending how many drops you use you can get a different tone. I may try CC's to compare. :)

I love that jar! I'm gonna have to break down and get some.(I'm lovin that shade of green too!)

I think you can get that exact pea-soup color by using the dye flakes from candle cocoon called "dried grass/celery green". I used them in 70/30 and GL pure soy:

Wow...that color is dead on to the other candle...very nice...this is why it is so hard to decide about color or no color...when I see color it is very exciting and adds another dimension to the candle...now if there was only a way to get some great looking boxes at reasonable prices:wink2:

I used to color all my candles and trying to make the decision for coloring or no color was very difficult. But once I made it and found that people actually prefer uncolored candles for the reasons you stated such as matching decor, etc., it was the best decision I ever made. I would never go back to coloring my candles. And they look so much more elegant no matter what glass container you put them in.